- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 597205, 10 pages
Changes in Precipitation Seasonality in West Africa Predicted by RegCM3 and the Impact of Dynamic Vegetation Feedback
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, 261 Glenbrook Road, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Received 5 May 2011; Accepted 26 September 2011
Academic Editor: Andrea Sealy
Copyright © 2012 Guiling Wang and Clement A. Alo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Wang and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Role of vegetation dynamics in enhancing the low-frequency variability of the Sahel rainfall,” Water Resources Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1013–1021, 2000.
- A. Giannini, R. Saravanan, and P. Chang, “Oceanic forcing of sahel rainfall on interannual to interdecadal time scales,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5647, pp. 1027–1030, 2003.
- M. Biasutti, I. M. Held, A. H. Sobel, and A. Giannini, “SST forcings and Sahel rainfall variability in simulations of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries,” Journal of Climate, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 3471–3486, 2008.
- Y. Xue and J. Shukla, “The influence of land surface properties on Sahel climate. Part I: desertification,” Journal of Climate, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2232–2245, 1993.
- G. Wang and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Ecosystem dynamics and the Sahel drought,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 795–798, 2000.
- C. M. Patricola and K. H. Cook, “Atmosphere/vegetation feedbacks: a mechanism for abrupt climate change over northern Africa,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 18, Article ID D18102, 2008.
- H. Paeth, K. Born, R. Girmes, R. Podzun, and D. Jacob, “Regional climate change in tropical and Northern Africa due to greenhouse forcing and land use changes,” Journal of Climate, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 114–132, 2009.
- C. A. Alo and G. Wang, “Role of dynamic vegetation in regional climate predictions over Western Africa,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 907–922, 2010.
- M. Claussen, C. Kubatzki, V. Brovkin, A. Ganopolski, P. Hoelzmann, and H. J. Pachur, “Simulation of an abrupt change in Saharan vegetation in the mid-Holocene,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 2037–2040, 1999.
- M. M. Irizarry-Ortiz, G. Wang, and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Role of the biosphere in the mid-Holocene climate of West Africa,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 5–15, 2003.
- Z. Liu, Y. Wang, R. Gallimore, M. Notaro, and I. C. Prentice, “On the cause of abrupt vegetation collapse in North Africa during the Holocene: climate variability vs. vegetation feedback,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 22, Article ID L22709, 2006.
- M. Notaro, Y. Wang, Z. Liu, R. Gallimore, and S. Levis, “Combined statistical and dynamical assessment of simulated vegetation-rainfall interactions in North Africa during the mid-Holocene,” Global Change Biology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 347–368, 2008.
- N. Zeng, J. D. Neelin, K. M. Lau, and C. J. Tucker, “Enhancement of interdecadal climate variability in the Sahel by vegetation interaction,” Science, vol. 286, no. 5444, pp. 1537–1540, 1999.
- G. Wang, E. A. B. Eltahir, J. A. Foley, D. Pollard, and S. Levis, “Decadal variability of rainfall in the Sahel: results from the coupled GENESIS-IBIS atmosphere-biosphere model,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 22, no. 6-7, pp. 625–637, 2004.
- C. Delire, J. A. Foley, and S. Thompson, “Long-tern variability in a coupled atmosphere-biosphere model,” Journal of Climate, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 3947–3959, 2004.
- C. Delire, N. de Noblet-Ducoudré, A. Sima, and I. Gouirand, “Vegetation dynamics enhancing long-term climate variability confirmed by two models,” Journal of Climate, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2238–2257, 2011.
- L. M. Druyan, “Studies of 21st-century precipitation trends over West Africa,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1415–1424, 2011.
- C. M. Patricola and K. H. Cook, “Northern African climate at the end of the twenty-first century: an integrated application of regional and global climate models,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 193–212, 2010.
- B. Sultan, C. Baron, M. Dingkuhn, B. Sarr, and S. Janicot, “Agricultural impacts of large-scale variability of the West African monsoon,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 128, no. 1-2, pp. 93–110, 2005.
- B. Sultan and S. Janicot, “The West African monsoon dynamics. Part II: the “preonset” and “onset” of the summer monsoon,” Journal of Climate, vol. 16, no. 21, pp. 3407–3427, 2003.
- A. Seth, S. A. Rauscher, M. Rojas, A. Giannini, and S. J. Camargo, “Enhanced spring convective barrier for monsoons in a warmer world? A letter,” Climatic Change, vol. 104, pp. 403–414, 2011.
- M. Biasutti and A. H. Sobel, “Delayed Sahel rainfall and global seasonal cycle in a warmer climate,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 23, Article ID L23707, 2009.
- Y. Xue, F. de Sales, W. K. M. Lau et al., “Intercomparison and analyses of the climatology of the West African Monsoon in the West African Monsoon Modeling and Evaluation project (WAMME) first model intercomparison experiment,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 3–27, 2010.
- L. M. Druyan, J. Feng, K. H. Cook et al., “The WAMME regional model intercomparison study,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 175–192, 2010.
- P. M. Cox, R. A. Betts, C. D. Jones, S. A. Spall, and I. J. Totterdell, “Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model,” Nature, vol. 408, no. 6809, pp. 184–187, 2000.
- G. Bala, K. Caldeira, A. Mirin, M. Wickett, C. Delire, and T. J. Phillips, “Biogeophysical effects of CO2 fertilization on global climate,” Tellus, Series B, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 620–627, 2006.
- J. M. Winter, J. S. Pal, and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Coupling of integrated biosphere simulator to regional climate model version 3,” Journal of Climate, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 2743–2757, 2009.
- Y. Dai, X. Zeng, R. E. Dickinson et al., “The common land model,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 1013–1023, 2003.
- K. Oleson, Y. Dai, G. B. Bonan, et al., “Technical description of the community land model (CLM),” NCAR Technical Note TN-461+STR, 2004.
- S. Sitch, B. Smith, I. C. Prentice et al., “Evaluation of ecosystem dynamics, plant geography and terrestrial carbon cycling in the LPJ dynamic global vegetation model,” Global Change Biology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 161–185, 2003.
- C. J. Kucharik, J. A. Foley, C. Delire et al., “Testing the performance of a dynamic global ecosystem model: water balance, carbon balance, and vegetation structure,” Global Biogeochemical Cycles, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 795–825, 2000.
- J. S. Pal, F. Giorgi, X. Bi et al., “Regional climate modeling for the developing world: the ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 1395–1409, 2007.
- R. E. Dickinson, A. Henderson-Sellers, and P. J. Kennedy, “Biosphere-atmosphere transfer scheme (BATS) version 1e as coupled to the NCAR community climate model,” NCAR Tech. Note/TN-387+STR, 1993.
- K. A. Emanuel, “A scheme for representing cumulus convection in large-scale models,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 48, no. 21, pp. 2313–2335, 1991.
- G. S. Jenkins, A. T. Gaye, and B. Sylla, “Late 20th century attribution of drying trends in the Sahel from the regional climate model (RegCM3),” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 22, Article ID L22705, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- E. A. Afiesimama, J. S. Pal, B. J. Abiodun, W. J. Gutowski, and A. Adedoyin, “Simulation of West African monsoon using the RegCM3. Part I: model validation and interannual variability,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 86, no. 1–4, pp. 23–37, 2006.
- J. B. Omotosho and B. J. Abiodun, “A numerical study of moisture build-up and rainfall over West Africa,” Meteorological Applications, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 209–225, 2007.
- N. S. Diffenbaugh, “Atmosphere-land cover feedbacks alter the response of surface temperature to CO2 forcing in the western United States,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 24, no. 2-3, pp. 237–251, 2005.
- K. H. Cook and E. K. Vizy, “Effects of twenty-first-century climate change on the Amazon rain forest,” Journal of Climate, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 542–560, 2008.
- C. A. Alo and G. Wang, “Potential future changes of the terrestrial ecosystem based on climate projections by eight general circulation models,” Journal of Geophysical Research G, vol. 113, no. 1, Article ID G01004, 2008.
- S. Janicot, G. Caniaux, F. Chauvin, et al., “IntraseasonalvariabilityoftheWestAfricanmonsoon,” AtmosphericScienceLetters, vol. 12, pp. 58–66, 2011.
- E. A. B. Eltahir and C. L. Gong, “Dynamics of wet and dry years in West Africa,” Journal of Climate, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1030–1042, 1996.
- B. Fontaine, P. Roucou, and P.-A. Monerie, “Changes in the African monsoon region at medium-term time horizon using 12 AR4 coupled models under the A1b emissions scenario,” Atmospheric Science Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 2011.
- N. Philippon, L. Jarlan, N. Martiny, P. Camberlin, and E. Mougin, “Characterization of the interannual and intraseasonal variability of West African vegetation between 1982 and 2002 by means of NOAA AVHRR NDVI data,” Journal of Climate, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1202–1218, 2007.
- M. Claussen, “On multiple solutions of the atmosphere-vegetation system in present-day climate,” Global Change Biology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 549–559, 1998.
- R. A. Betts, P. M. Cox, and F. I. Woodward, “Simulated responses of potential vegetation to doubled-CO2 climate change and feedbacks on near-surface temperature,” Global Ecology and Biogeography, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 171–180, 2000.
- A. L. Steiner, J. S. Pal, S. A. Rauscher et al., “Land surface coupling in regional climate simulations of the West African monsoon,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 869–892, 2009.