- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 972896, 19 pages
Multimodel GCM-RCM Ensemble-Based Projections of Temperature and Precipitation over West Africa for the Early 21st Century
1Laboratory for Atmospheric Physics-Simeon Fongang (LPAF), Polytechnic School, Cheikh Anta Diop University, P.O. Box 5085, Dakar-Fann, Dakar, Senegal
2Earth System Physics (ESP) Section, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), 34151 Trieste, Italy
3Department of Physics, UFR of Sciences and Technologies, University of Ziguinchor, 523 Ziguinchor, Senegal
Received 14 May 2011; Revised 6 September 2011; Accepted 21 November 2011
Academic Editor: Alessandra Giannini
Copyright © 2012 I. Diallo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Hoerling, J. Hurrell, J. Eischeid, and A. Phillips, “Detection and attribution of twentieth-century northern and southern African rainfall change,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 16, pp. 3989–4008, 2006.
- G. S. Jenkins, A. T. Gaye, and B. Sylla, “Late 20th century attribution of drying trends in the Sahel from the Regional Climate Model (RegCM3),” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 22, Article ID L22705, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- G. Wang and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Ecosystem dynamics and the Sahel drought,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 795–798, 2000.
- M. B. Sylla, A. T. Gaye, G. S. Jenkins, J. S. Pal, and F. Giorgi, “Consistency of projected drought over the Sahel with changes in the monsoon circulation and extremes in a regional climate model projections,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 115, no. 16, article D16108, 2010.
- M. Boko, I. Niang, A. Nyong, et al., “Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability,” in Africa. Climate Change 2007, M. L. Parry, O. F. Canziani, J. P. Palutikof, and P. J. van der Linden, Eds., pp. 433–467, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2007.
- M. Hulme, R. Doherty, T. Ngara, M. New, and D. Lister, “African climate change: 1900–2100,” Climate Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 145–168, 2001.
- A. F. Kamga, G. S. Jenkins, A. T. Gaye, A. Garba, A. Sarr, and A. Adedoyin, “Evaluating the National Center for Atmospheric Research climate system model over West Africa: present-day and the 21st century A1 scenario,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 110, no. 3, Article ID D03106, 18 pages, 2005.
- H. Douville, D. Salas-Mélia, and S. Tyteca, “On the tropical origin of uncertainties in the global land precipitation response to global warming,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 367–385, 2006.
- H. Christensen, B. Hewitson, A. Busuioc, et al., “Regional climate projections,” in Climate Change 2007, S. Solomon, D. Qin, and M. Manning, Eds., Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- M. Biasutti and A. Giannini, “Robust Sahel drying in response to late 20th century forcings,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 11, Article ID L11706, 2006.
- A. Giannini, M. Biasutti, I. M. Held, and A. H. Sobel, “A global perspective on African climate,” Climatic Change, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 359–383, 2008.
- H. Paeth, R. Girmes, G. Menz, and A. Hense, “Improving seasonal forecasting in the low latitudes,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 134, no. 7, pp. 1859–1879, 2006.
- M. Rummukainen, “State-of-the-art with regional climate models,” Climate Change, vol. 1, pp. 96–82, 2010.
- F. Giorgi and L. O. Mearns, “Introduction to special section: regional climate modeling revisited,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 104, pp. 6335–6352, 1999.
- H. Paeth, A. Capo-Chichi, and W. Endlicher, “Climate change and food security in tropical West Africa—a dynamic-statistical modelling approach,” Erdkunde, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 101–115, 2008.
- N. Philippon, N. Martiny, and P. Camberlin, “Forecasting the vegetation photosynthetic activity over the Sahel: a model output Statistics approach,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1463–1477, 2009.
- E. A. Afiesimama, J. S. Pal, B. J. Abiodun, W. J. Gutowski, and A. Adedoyin, “Simulation of West African monsoon using the RegCM3. Part I: model validation and interannual variability,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 86, no. 1–4, pp. 23–37, 2006.
- F. Kamga and E. Buscarlet, “Simulation du climat de l'Afrique de l'ouest a l'aide d'un modele climatique régional: validation sur la période 1961–1990,” La Météorologie, vol. 52, pp. 28–37, 2006.
- J. S. Hsieh and K. H. Cook, “A study of the energetics of African easterly waves using regional climate model,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 421–440, 2007.
- M. B. Sylla, E. Coppola, L. Mariotti et al., “Multiyear simulation of the African climate using a regional climate model (RegCM3) with the high resolution ERA-interim reanalysis,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 231–247, 2010.
- H. Paeth, K. Born, R. Podzun, and D. Jacob, “Regional dynamical downscaling over West Africa: model evaluation and comparison of wet dry years,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 349–367, 2005.
- S. M. Hagos and K. H. Cook, “Dynamics of the West African monsoon jump,” Journal of Climate, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 5264–5284, 2007.
- M. B. Sylla, A. Dell'Aquila, P. M. Ruti, and F. Giorgi, “Simulation of the intraseasonal and the interannual variability of rainfall over West Africa with RegCM3 during the monsoon period,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1865–1883, 2010.
- E. K. Vizy and K. H. Cook, “Development and application of a mesoscale climate model for the tropics: influence of sea surface temperature anomalies on the West African monsoon,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 107, no. 3, p. 22, Article ID 4023, 2002.
- R. Ramel, H. Gallé, and C. Messager, “On the northward shift of the West African monsoon,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 429–440, 2006.
- W. Moufouma-Okia and D. P. Rowell, “Impact of soil moisture initialisation and lateral boundary conditions on regional climate model simulations of the West African Monsoon,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 213–229, 2009.
- M. B. Sylla, F. Giorgi, P. M. Ruti, S. Calmanti, and A. Dell'Aquila, “The impact of deep convection on the West African summer monsoon climate: a regional climate model sensitivity study,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 137, no. 659, pp. 1417–1430, 2011.
- G. Jung and H. Kunstmann, “High-resolution regional climate modeling for the Volta region of West Africa,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 112, no. 23, Article ID D23108, 2007.
- L. Mariotti, E. Coppola, M. B. Sylla, F. Giorgi, and C. Piani, “Regional climate model simulation of projected 21st century climate change over an all-Africa domain: comparison analysis of nested and driving model results,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 116, p. 22, Article ID D15111, 2011.
- H. Paeth, N. M. Hall, M. A. Gaertner et al., “Progress in regional downscaling of west African precipitation,” Atmospheric Science Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2011.
- H. Paeth, K. Born, R. Girmes, R. Podzun, and D. Jacob, “Regional climate change in tropical and Northern Africa due to greenhouse forcing and land use changes,” Journal of Climate, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 114–132, 2009.
- R. Neumann, G. Jung, P. Laux, and H. Kunstmann, “Climate trends of temperature, precipitation and river discharge in the Volta Basin of West Africa,” International Journal of River Basin Management, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 17–30, 2007.
- P. Oettli, B. Sultan, C. Baron, and M. Vrac, “Are regional climate models relevant for crop yield prediction in West Africa?” Environmental Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, 2011.
- F. Giorgi, “Climate change prediction,” Climatic Change, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 239–265, 2005.
- F. Giorgi, N. S. Diffenbaugh, X. J. Gao et al., “The regional climate change hyper-matrix framework,” Eos, vol. 89, no. 45, pp. 445–446, 2008.
- C. Tebaldi and R. Knutti, “The use of the multi-model ensemble in probabilistic climate projections,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 365, no. 1857, pp. 2053–2075, 2007.
- F. Giorgi, “Uncertainties in climate change projections, from the global to the regional scale,” EPJ Web of Conferences, vol. 9, pp. 115–129, 2010.
- F. Giorgi and E. Coppola, “Does the model regional bias affect the projected regional climate change? An analysis of global model projections: a letter,” Climatic Change, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 787–795, 2010.
- J. S. Pal, F. Giorgi, X. Bi et al., “The ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET: regional climate modeling for the developing world,” Bulletin of the American Meteorology Society, vol. 88, pp. 1395–1409, 2007.
- D. Jacob, U. Andræ, G. Elgered et al., “A comprehensive model inter-comparison study investigating the water budget during the BALTEX-PIDCAP period,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 77, no. 1–4, pp. 19–43, 2001.
- E. Kjellström, L. Bärring, S. Gollvik, et al., “A 140-year simulation of European climate with the new version of the Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model (RCA3),” Reports Meteorology and Climatology 108, SMHI, SE-60176, Norrköping, Sweden, 2005.
- R. G. Jones, M. Noguer, and D. C. Hassell, Generating high resolution regional climate change using PRECIS, Met Office Hadley Centre, Exter, UK, 2004.
- G. Roeckner, L. Bäuml, and R. Bonaventura, “The Atmospheric general circulation model ECHAM5. Part I: model description,” Tech. Rep. 349, Max Planck-Institut für Meteorologie, Hamburg, Germany, 2003.
- M. Collins, B. B. B. Booth, G. R. Harris, J. M. Murphy, D. M. H. Sexton, and M. J. Webb, “Towards quantifying uncertainty in transient climate change,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 27, no. 2-3, pp. 127–147, 2006.
- J. L. Redelsperger, C. D. Thorncroft, A. Diedhiou, T. Lebel, D. J. Parker, and J. Polcher, “African Monsoon Multidisciplinary Analysis: an international research project and field campaign,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 1739–1746, 2006.
- Van der Linden and J. F. B. Mitchell, ENSEMBLES: Climate Change and its impact: Summary of Research and the Results from the ENSEMBLES Project, Met Office Hadley Centre, Exeter, UK, 2009.
- M. B. Sylla, A. T. Gaye, J. S. Pal, G. S. Jenkins, and X. Q. Bi, “High-resolution simulations of West African climate using regional climate model (RegCM3) with different lateral boundary conditions,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 98, no. 3-4, pp. 293–314, 2009.
- R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, A. Chang et al., “The version-2 global precipitation climatology project (GPCP) monthly precipitation analysis (1979-present),” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1147–1167, 2003.
- D. Mitchell, T. R. Carter, P. D. Jones, M. Hulme, and M. New, “A comprehensive set of high-resolution grids of monthly climate for Europe and the globe: the observed record (1901–2000) and 16 scenarios (2001–2100),” Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, Norwich, UK, Working Paper 55, 2004.
- P. Xie and P. A. Arkin, “Global precipitation: A 17-year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 2539–2558, 1997.
- B. Rudolf, C. Beck, J. Grieser, and U. Schneider, “Global Precipitation Analysis Products. Global Precipitation Climatology Centre (GPCC), DWD,” Internet publication, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- S. M. Uppala, P. W. Kållberg, A. J. Simmons et al., “The ERA-40 re-analysis,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 131, no. 612, pp. 2961–3012, 2005.
- M. Kanamitsu, W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen et al., “NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2),” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1631–1643, 2002.
- S. Simmons, D. D. Uppala, and S. Kobayashi, “ERA-interim: new ECMWF reanalysis products from 1989 onwards,” ECMWF Newsletter, vol. 110, pp. 29–35, 2007.
- S. M. Uppala, D. Dee, S. Kobayashi, P. Berrisford, and A. Simmons, “Towards a climate data assimilation system: status update of ERA-interim,” ECMWF Newsletter, vol. 115, pp. 12–18, 2008.
- K. E. Trenberth, D. P. Stepaniak, J. W. Hurrell, and M. Fiorino, “Quality of reanalyses in the tropics,” Journal of Climate, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1499–1510, 2001.
- A. Diongue, J. P. Lafore, J. L. Redelsperger, and R. Roca, “Numerical study of a Sahelian synoptic weather system: initiation and mature stages of convection and its interactions with the large-scale dynamics,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 128, no. 584, pp. 1899–1928, 2002.
- Z. Pan, J. H. Christensen, R. W. Arritt, W. J. Gutowski, E. S. Takle, and F. Otieno, “Evaluation of uncertainties in regional climate change simulations,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 17735–17751, 2001.
- M. Ashfaq, C. B. Skinner, and N. S. Diffenbaugh, “Influence of SST biases on future climate change projections,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1303–1319, 2011.
- F. Giorgi, C. Jones, and G. Asrar, “Addressing climate information needs at the regional level: the CORDEX framework,” World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Bulletin, vol. 58, pp. 175–183, 2009.
- M. Biasutti and A. H. Sobel, “Delayed Sahel rainfall and global seasonal cycle in a warmer climate,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 23, Article ID L23707, 2009.