- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341797, 13 pages
Removing Regional Trends in Microgravity in Complex Environments: Testing on 3D Model and Field Investigations in the Eastern Dead Sea Coast (Jordan)
1Al-Balqa Applied University, Salt 19117, Jordan
2Department of Geophysical, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
3Geophysical Institute of Israel, P.O. Box 182, Lod 71100, Israel
Received 29 September 2012; Accepted 18 January 2013
Academic Editor: Umberta Tinivella
Copyright © 2013 A. Al-Zoubi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, “Archaeological geophysics in Israel: past, present and future,” Advances in Geosciences, vol. 24, pp. 45–68, 2010.
- B. E. Khesin, V. V. Alexeyev, and L. V. Eppelbaum, Interpretation of Geophysical Fields in Complicated Environments, Advanced Approaches in Geophysics, Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1996.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, M. G. Ezersky, A. S. Al-Zoubi, V. I. Goldshmidt, and A. Legchenko, “Study of the factors affecting the karst volume assessment in the Dead Sea sinkhole problem using microgravity field analysis and 3-D modeling,” Advances in Geosciences, vol. 19, pp. 97–115, 2008.
- G. C. Colley, “The detection of caves by gravity measurements,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1963.
- Arzi, “Microgravimetry for engineering applications,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 408–425, 1975.
- Z. J. Fajklewicz, “Gravity vertical gradient measurements for the detection of small geologic and anthropogenic forms,” Geophysics, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1016–1030, 1976.
- M. Blížkovský, “Processing and applications in microgravity surveys,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 848–861, 1979.
- M. Bichara, J. C. Erling, and J. Lakshmanan, “Technique de mesure et d’interpretation minimisant les erreurs de mesure en microgravimetrie,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 29, pp. 782–789, 1981.
- D. K. Butler, “Interval gravity-gradient determination concepts,” Geophysics, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 828–832, 1984.
- D. K. Butler, “Microgravimetric and gravity-gradient techniques for detection of subsurface cavities,” Geophysics, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 1084–1096, 1984.
- B. E. Khesin, V. V. Alexeyev, and L. V. Eppelbaum, “Investigation of geophysical fields in pyrite deposits under mountainous conditions,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 187–204, 1993.
- D. Patterson, J. C. Davey, A. H. Cooper, and J. K. Ferris, “The investigation of dissolution subsidence incorporating microgravity geophysics at Ripon, Yorkshire,” Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 83–94, 1995.
- D. E. Yule, M. K. Sharp, and D. K. Butler, “Microgravity investigations of foundation conditions,” Geophysics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 95–103, 1998.
- N. C. Crawford, “Microgravity investigations of sinkhole collapses under highway,” in Proceedings of the 1st SAGEEP Conference, vol. 1, pp. 1–13, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2000.
- M. Beres, M. Luetscher, and R. Olivier, “Integration of ground-penetrating radar and microgravimetric methods to map shallow caves,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 249–262, 2001.
- D. K. Butler, “Potential fields methods for location of unexploded ordnance,” Leading Edge, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 890–895, 2001.
- M. Rybakov, V. Goldshmidt, L. Fleischer, and Y. Rotstein, “Cave detection and 4-D monitoring: a microgravity case history near the Dead Sea,” Leading Edge, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 896–900, 2001.
- T. Hunt, M. Sugihara, T. Sato, and T. Takemura, “Measurement and use of the vertical gravity gradient in correcting repeat microgravity measurements for the effects of ground subsidence in geothermal systems,” Geothermics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 525–543, 2002.
- L. V. Eppelbaum and B. E. Khesin, “Advanced 3D modelling of gravity field unmasks reserves of a pyrite-polymetallic deposit: a case study from the Greater Caucasus,” First Break, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 53–56, 2004.
- P. Styles, S. Toon, E. Thomas, and M. Skittrall, “Microgravity as a tool for the detection, characterization and prediction of geohazard posed by abandoned mining cavities,” First Break, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 51–60, 2006.
- D. K. Butler, Ed., Near-Surface Geophysics, no. 13 of Investigations in Geophysics, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 2005.
- J. S. da Silva and F. J. F. Ferreira, “Gravimetry applied to water resources and risk management in karst areas: a case study in Parana state, Brazil,” in Proceedings of the Transactions of the 23th FIG Congress, p. 14, Munich, Germany, 2006.
- M. W. Branston and P. Styles, “Site characterization and assessment using the microgravity technique: a case history,” Near Surface Geophysics, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 377–385, 2006.
- N. Debeglia, A. Bitri, and P. Thierry, “Karst investigations using microgravity and MASW; application to Orléans, France,” Near Surface Geophysics, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 215–225, 2006.
- I. R. Abad, F. G. García, I. R. Abad et al., “Non-destructive assessment of a buried rainwater cistern at the Carthusian Monastery “Vall de Crist” (Spain, 14th century) derived by microgravimetric 2D modelling,” Journal of Cultural Heritage, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 197–201, 2007.
- C. C. Bradley, M. Y. Ali, I. Shawky, A. Levannier, and M. A. Dawoud, “Microgravity investigation of an aquifer storage and recovery site in Abu Dhabi,” First Break, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 63–69, 2007.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, “Revealing of subterranean karst using modern analysis of potential and quasi-potential fields,” in Proceedings of the SAGEEP Conference, vol. 20, pp. 797–810, Denver, Colo, USA, 2007.
- T. Mochales, A. M. Casas, E. L. Pueyo et al., “Detection of underground cavities by combining gravity, magnetic and ground penetrating radar surveys: a case study from the Zaragoza area, NE Spain,” Environmental Geology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1067–1077, 2008.
- S. Deroussi, M. Diament, J. B. Feret, T. Nebut, and T. Staudacher, “Localization of cavities in a thick lava flow by microgravimetry,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 184, no. 1-2, pp. 193–198, 2009.
- M. Ezersky, A. Legchenko, C. Camerlynck et al., “The Dead Sea sinkhole hazard—new findings based on a multidisciplinary geophysical study,” Zeitschrift fur Geomorphologie, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2010.
- F. Greco, G. Currenti, C. Del Negro et al., “Spatiotemporal gravity variations to look deep into the Southern flank of Etna volcano,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 115, no. 11, Article ID B11411, 2010.
- G. Leucci and L. de Giorgi, “Microgravimetric and ground penetrating radar geophysical methods to map the shallow karstic cavities network in a coastal area (Marina Di Capilungo, Lecce, Italy),” Exploration Geophysics, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 178–188, 2010.
- A. G. Camacho, P. J. González, J. Fernández, and G. Berrino, “Simultaneous inversion of surface deformation and gravity changes by means of extended bodies with a free geometry: application to deforming calderas,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 116, no. B10, 2011.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, “Review of environmental and geological microgravity applications and feasibility of their implementation at archaeological sites in Israel,” International Journal of Geophysics, vol. 2011, Article ID 927080, 9 pages, 2011.
- A. Hajian, H. Zomorrodian, P. Styles, F. Greco, and C. Lucas, “Depth estimation of cavities from microgravity data using a new approach: the local linear model tree (LOLIMOT),” Near Surface Geophysics, vol. 10, pp. 221–234, 2012.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, “Application of microgravity at archaeological sites in Israel: some estimation derived from 3D modeling and quantitative analysis of gravity field,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems Conference (SAGEEP), vol. 22, pp. 434–446, Fort Wort, Tex, USA, 2009.
- K. J. Sjostrom and D. K. Butler, “Noninvasive weight determination of stockpiled ore through microgravity measurements,” Report of the US Army Corps of Engineers, Paper GL-96-24, 1996.
- E. Elawadi, A. Salem, and K. Ushijima, “Detection of cavities and tunnels from gravity data using a neural network,” Exploration Geophysics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 204–208, 2001.
- N. Debeglia and F. Dupont, “Some critical factors for engineering and environmental microgravity investigations,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 435–454, 2002.
- D. Carbone and F. Greco, “Review of microgravity observations at Mt. Etna: a powerful tool to monitor and study active volcanoes,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 2007.
- T. Jacob, J. Chery, R. Bayer et al., “Time-lapse surface to depth gravity measurements on a karst system reveal the dominant role of the epikarst as a water storage entity,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 347–360, 2009.
- G. Castiello, G. Florio, M. Grimaldi, and M. Fedi, “Enhanced methods for interpreting microgravity anomalies in urban areas,” First Break, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 93–98, 2010.
- S. Porzucek, “Some Applicability problems of Euler deconvolution to the interpretation of the results of microgravity survey,” in Proceedings of the Transactions of the Near Surface EAGE Conference, P55, pp. 1–5, Zurich, Switzerland, 2010.
- A. C. Dolgal and A. F. Sharkhimullin, “Increasing accuracy of monogenic gravity anomaly interpretation,” Geoinformatics, vol. 4, pp. 49–56, 2011 (Russian).
- G. Kaufmann, D. Romanov, and R. Nielbock, “Cave detection using multiple geophysical methods: unicorn cave, Harz Mountains, Germany,” Geophysics, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. B71–B77, 2011.
- J. Panisova, R. Pašteka, J. Papco, and M. Fraštia, “The calculation of building corrections in microgravity surveys using close range photogrammetry,” Near Surface Geophysics, vol. 10, pp. 391–399, 2012.
- W. M. Telford, L. P. Geldart, and R. E. Sheriff, Applied Geophysics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1990.
- L. V. Eppelbaum and B. E. Khesin, Geophysical Studies in the Caucasus, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2012.
- L. V. Eppelbaum, B. E. Khesin, and S. E. Itkis, “Archaeological geophysics in arid environments: examples from Israel,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 849–860, 2010.
- D. S. Parasnis, Principles of Applied Geophysics, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 4th edition, 1986.
- D. T. Sandwell and W. H. F. Smith, “Global marine gravity from retracked Geosat and ERS-1 altimetry: ridge segmentation versus spreading rate,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 114, no. 1, Article ID B01411, 2009.
- A. Ginzburg and Z. Ben-Avraham, “A seismic refraction study of the north basin of the Dead Sea, Israel,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 2063–2066, 1997.
- M. Weber, K. Abu-Ayyash, A. Abueladas, et al., “Anatomy of the Dead Sea transform from lithospheric to microscopic scale,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 47, no. 2, 2010.
- M. J. Wichura, “Algorithm AS 241: the percentage points of the normal distribution,” Applied Statistics, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 477–484, 1988.
- S. Shatterjee and A. S. Sadi, Regression Analysis by Example, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- J. O. Rawlings, S. G. Pantula, and D. A. Dickey, Applied Regression Analysis: A Research Tool, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1998.
- M. H. Bingham and J. M. Fry, Regression: Linear Models in Statistics, Undergraduate Math Series, Springer, London, UK, 2010.
- S. A. Taqieddin, N. S. Abderahman, and M. Atallah, “Sinkhole hazards along the eastern Dead Sea shoreline area, Jordan: a geological and geotechnical consideration,” Environmental Geology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1237–1253, 2000.
- A. Al-Zoubi, A. Abueadas, A. Akkawwi, L. Eppelbaum, E. Levi, and M. Ezersky, “Use of microgravity survey in the Dead Sea areas affected by the sinkholes hazard,” in Proceedings of the Transactions of the 8th EUG Meeting, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 14 of EGU2012-1982, Vienna, Austria, 2012.