- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 383261, 6 pages
Application of Electrical Resistivity Tomography for Detecting Root Biomass in Coffee Trees
Department of Agriculture, Federal University of Lavras, 37200-000 Lavras, MG, Brazil
Received 15 August 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013
Academic Editor: Jean-Pierre Burg
Copyright © 2013 Carlos Mauricio Paglis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Fitter, “Characteristics and functions of root systems,” in Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, Y. Waisel, A. Eshel, and U. Kafkai, Eds., p. 1002, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1996.
- J. E. Box, “Modern methods for root investigation,” in Plant Roots: The Hidden Half, Y. Waisel, A. Eshel, and U. Kafkai, Eds., p. 1002, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1996.
- W. Bohm, Method of Studying Root Systems, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- M. G. Johnson, D. T. Tingey, D. L. Phillips, and M. J. Storm, “Advancing fine root research with minirhizotrons,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 263–289, 2001.
- J. R. Butnor, J. A. Doolittle, K. H. Johnsen, L. Samuelson, T. Stokes, and L. Kress, “Utility of ground-penetrating radar as a root biomass survey tool in forest systems,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 1607–1615, 2003.
- J. R. Butnor, K. H. Johnsen, P. Wikström, T. Lundmark, and S. Linder, “Imaging tree roots with borehole radar,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, p. 8, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 2006.
- T. G. Chastain, W. C. Young III, C. J. Garbacik, and T. B. Silberstein, “Root productivity and seed production in grass crops,” in Seed Production Research at Oregon State University, pp. 15–18, USDA-ARS Cooperating, 1999.
- J. Hruska, J. Cermák, and S. Sustek, “Mapping tree root systems with ground-penetrating radar,” Tree Physiology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 1999.
- P. J. Gregory, D. J. Hutchinson, D. B. Read, P. M. Jenneson, W. B. Gilboy, and E. J. Morton, “Non-invasive imaging of roots with high-resolution x-ray micro-tomography,” Plant and Soil, vol. 187, pp. 221–228, 2003.
- C. J. Moran, A. Pierret, and A. W. Stevenson, “X-ray absorption and phase contrast imaging to study the interplay between plant roots and soil structure,” Plant and Soil, vol. 223, no. 1-2, pp. 99–115, 2000.
- G. J. Palacky, “Clay mapping using electromagnetic methods,” First Break, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 295–306, 1987.
- M. Amato, B. Basso, G. Celano, G. Bitella, G. Morelli, and R. Rossi, “In situ detection of tree root distribution and biomass by multi-electrode resistivity imaging,” Tree Physiology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1441–1448, 2008.
- M. Amato, G. Bitella, R. Rossi, J. A. Gómez, S. Lovelli, and J. J. F. Gomes, “Multi-electrode 3D resistivity imaging of alfalfa root zone,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 213–222, 2009.
- A. Loperte, A. Satriani, L. Lazzari et al., “2D and 3D high resolution geoelectrical tomography for non-destructive determination of the spatial variability of plant root distribution: laboratory experiments and field measurements,” Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 8, p. 674, 2006.
- U. Weihs, V. Dubbel, F. Krummheuer, and A. Just, “The electrical resistivity tomography—a promising technique for detection of colored heartwood on standing beech trees,” Forst Und Holz, vol. 54, pp. 166–170, 1999.
- D. L. Corwin and S. M. Lesch, “Apparent soil electrical conductivity measurements in agriculture,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 46, no. 1–3, pp. 11–43, 2005.
- L. Lazzari, G. Celano, M. Amato et al., “Spatial variability of soil root zone properties using electrical imaging techniques in a peach orchard system,” Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 10, p. 712, 2008.
- D. Michot, Y. Benderitter, A. Dorigny, B. Nicoullaud, D. King, and A. Tabbagh, “Spatial and temporal monitoring of soil water content with an irrigated corn crop cover using surface electrical resistivity tomography,” Water Resources Research, vol. 39, no. 5, p. 1138, 2003.
- P. Kearey, M. Brooks, and I. Hill, An Introduction to Geophysical Exploration, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 2002.
- A. Samouëlian, I. Cousin, A. Tabbagh, A. Bruand, and G. Richard, “Electrical resistivity survey in soil science: a review,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 173–193, 2005.
- G. Morelli and D. J. Labrecque, “Advances in ERT inverse modeling,” European Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics Society, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 171–186, 1996.
- M. Amato and A. Pardo, “Root length and biomass losses during sample preparation with different screen mesh sizes,” Plant and Soil, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 299–303, 1994.
- S. A. Al Hagrey, “Electrical resistivity imaging of tree trunks,” Near Surface Geophysics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 179–187, 2006.
- S. A. Al Hagrey, “Geophysical imaging of root-zone, trunk, and moisture heterogeneity,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 839–854, 2007.
- L. V. Vaughan, J. W. Macadam, S. E. Smith, and L. M. Dudley, “Root growth and yield of differing alfalfa rooting populations under increasing salinity and zero leaching,” Crop Science, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2064–2071, 2002.
- A. R. Barzegar, M. H. Mossavi, M. A. Asoodar, and S. J. Herbert, “Root mass distribution of winter wheat as influenced by different tillage systems in semi arid region,” Journal of Agronomy, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 223–228, 2004.
- G. E. Archie, “The electrical resistivity log as an aid in determining some reservoir characteristics,” Transactions of American Institute of Mining Engineers, vol. 146, pp. 54–61, 1942.