- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 391637, 11 pages
Characteristic Changes of Scale Invariance of Seismicity Prior to Large Earthquakes: A Constructive Review
Research Center for Earthquake Prediction, Earthquake Administration of Jiangsu Province, No. 3 Wei Gang, Nanjing 210014, China
Received 7 February 2013; Revised 2 May 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Filippos Vallianatos
Copyright © 2013 Qiang Li and Gui-Ming Xu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Chelidze and T. Matcharashvili, “Complexity of seismic process; measuring and applications—a review,” Tectonophysics, vol. 431, no. 1–4, pp. 49–60, 2007.
- B. Enescu, K. Ito, M. Radulian, E. Popescu, and O. Bazacliu, “Multifractal and chaotic analysis of Vrancea (Romania) intermediate-depth earthquakes: investigation of the temporal distribution of events,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 249–271, 2005.
- Y. Y. Kagan, “Earthquake spatial distribution: the correlation dimension,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 1175–1194, 2007.
- D. Kiyashchenko, N. Smirnova, V. Troyan, and F. Vallianatos, “Dynamics of multifractal and correlation characteristics of the spatio-temporal distribution of regional seismicity before the strong earthquakes,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 285–298, 2003.
- R. J. Mittag, “Fractal analysis of earthquake swarms of Vogtland/NW-Bohemia intraplate seismicity,” Journal of Geodynamics, vol. 35, no. 1-2, pp. 173–189, 2003.
- A. O. Oncel and T. H. Wilson, “Space-time correlations of seismotectonic parameters: examples from Japan and from Turkey preceding the İzmit earthquake,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 339–349, 2002.
- L. Telesca, G. Hloupis, I. Nikolintaga, and F. Vallianatos, “Temporal patterns in southern Aegean seismicity revealed by the multiresolution wavelet analysis,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1418–1426, 2007.
- V. Uritsky, N. Smirnova, V. Troyan, and F. Vallianatos, “Critical dynamics of fractal fault systems and its role in the generation of pre-seismic electromagnetic emissions,” Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol. 29, no. 4–9, pp. 473–480, 2004.
- F. Vallianatos, G. Michas, G. Papadakis, and P. Sammonds, “A non-extensive statistical physics view to the spatiotemporal properties of the June 1995, Aigion earthquake (M6.2) aftershock sequence (West Corinth rift, Greece),” Acta Geophysica, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 758–768, 2012.
- F. Vallianatos, G. Michas, G. Papadakis, and A. Tzanis, “Evidence of non-extensivity in the seismicity observed during the 2011-2012 unrest at the Santorini volcanic complex, Greece,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, vol. 13, pp. 177–185.
- F. Vallianatos, A. Nardi, R. Carluccio, and M. Chiappini, “Experimental evidence of a non-extensive statistical physics behavior of electromagnetic signals emitted from rocks under stress up to fracture. Preliminary results,” Acta Geophysica, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 894–909, 2012.
- F. Vallianatos and A. Tzanis, “On the nature, scaling and spectral properties of pre-seismic ULF signals,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 237–242, 2003.
- A. Zamani and M. Agh-Atabai, “Temporal characteristics of seismicity in the Alborz and Zagros regions of Iran, using a multifractal approach,” Journal of Geodynamics, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 271–279, 2009.
- F. Caruso, S. Vinciguerra, V. Latora, A. Rapisarda, and S. Malone, “Multifractal analysis of Mount St. Helens seismicity as a tool for identifying eruptive activity,” Fractals, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 179–186, 2006.
- P. P. Dimitriu, E. M. Scordilis, and V. G. Karacostas, “Multifractal analysis of the Arnea, Greece Seismicity with potential implications for earthquake prediction,” Natural Hazards, vol. 21, no. 2-3, pp. 277–295, 2000.
- D. Kiyashchenko, N. Smirnova, V. Troyan, E. Saenger, and F. Vallianatos, “Seismic hazard precursory evolution: fractal and multifractal aspects,” Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol. 29, no. 4–9, pp. 367–378, 2004.
- Q. Li, “The multifractal characteristics of the seismic temporal series in Jiangsu Province and adjacent areas and their application to earthquake prediction,” Journal of Seismological Research, vol. 25, pp. 257–261, 2002 (Chinese).
- S. Nakaya, “Fractal properties of seismicity in regions affected by large, shallow earthquakes in western Japan: implications for fault formation processes based on a binary fractal fracture network model,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 110, no. 1, Article ID B01310, 2005.
- P. N. S. Roy and A. Padhi, “Multifractal analysis of earthquakes in the Southeastern Iran-Bam Region,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 164, no. 11, pp. 2271–2290, 2007.
- S. S. Teotia and D. Kumar, “Role of multifractal analysis in understanding the preparation zone for large size earthquake in the North-Western Himalaya region,” Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 2011.
- K. Murase, “A characteristic change in fractal dimension prior to the 2003 Tokachi-oki Earthquake (MJ = 8.0), Hokkaido, Northern Japan,” Earth, Planets and Space, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 401–405, 2004.
- P. N. S. Roy and S. K. Nath, “Precursory correlation dimensions for three great earthquakes,” Current Science, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 1522–1529, 2007.
- X. L. Lei, K. Kusunose, T. Satoh, and O. Nishizawa, “The hierarchical rupture process of a fault: an experimental study,” Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, vol. 137, no. 1–4, pp. 213–228, 2003.
- X. L. Lei and T. Satoh, “Indicators of critical point behavior prior to rock failure inferred from pre-failure damage,” Tectonophysics, vol. 431, no. 1–4, pp. 97–111, 2007.
- C. Lu, Y. W. Mai, and H. Xie, “A sudden drop of fractal dimension: a likely precursor of catastrophic failure in disordered media,” Philosophical Magazine Letters, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2005.
- Q. Li and G. M. Xu, “Relationship between the characteristc variations of local scaling property and the process of seismogeny: the revelation of a new physical mechanism of seismicity,” Fractals, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 197–206, 2010.
- C. P. Zhao and H. T. Wang, “Anomalous features of Hurst exponent before some large earthquakes in China Mainland,” Inland Earthquake, vol. 15, pp. 331–337, 2001 (Chinese).
- A. Carpinteri, G. Lacidogna, and S. Puzzi, “From criticality to final collapse: evolution of the “b-value” from 1.5 to 1.0,” Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 843–853, 2009.
- C. Goltz, Fractal and Chaotic Properties of Earthquakes, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1997.
- D. K. Guo, “Application of Hurst exponent of earthquake frequency to the earthquake prediction,” North China Earthquake Sciences, vol. 20, pp. 44–50, 2002 (Chinese).
- Y. T. Lee, C. C. Chen, Y. F. Chang, and L. Y. Chiao, “Precursory phenomena associated with large avalanches in the long-range connective sandpile (LRCS) model,” Physica A, vol. 387, no. 21, pp. 5263–5270, 2008.
- T. Matcharashvili, T. Chelidze, and Z. Javakhishvili, “Nonlinear analysis of magnitude and interevent time interval sequences for earthquakes of the Caucasian region,” Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 9–19, 2000.
- M. Radulian and C. I. Trifu, “Would it have been possible to predict the 30 August 1986 Vrancea earthquake?” Bulletin—Seismological Society of America, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 2498–2503, 1991.
- L. Telesca and V. Lapenna, “Measuring multifractality in seismic sequences,” Tectonophysics, vol. 423, no. 1–4, pp. 115–123, 2006.
- L. Telesca, V. Lapenna, and M. MacChiato, “Multifractal fluctuations in seismic interspike series,” Physica A, vol. 354, no. 1–4, pp. 629–640, 2005.
- P. Grassberger and I. Procaccia, “Dimensions and entropies of strange attractors from a fluctuating dynamics approach,” Physica D, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 34–54, 1984.
- A. Chhabra and R. V. Jensen, “Direct determination of the singularity spectrum,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1327–1330, 1989.
- P. Grassberger, “Generalized dimensions of strange attractors,” Physics Letters A, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 227–230, 1983.
- Q. Li and G. M. Xu, “Local scaling property of seismicity: an example of getting valuable information from complex hierarchical system,” Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 423–429, 2010.
- Q. Li and G. M. Xu, “Characteristic variation of local scaling property before Puer M6.4 earthquake in China: the presence of a new pattern of nonlinear behavior of seismicity,” Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 155–161, 2012.
- Q. Li and G. M. Xu, “Scale invariance in complex seismic system and its uses in gaining precursory information before large earthquakes: importance of methodology,” Physica A, vol. 392, no. 4, pp. 929–940, 2013.
- Y. Y. Kagan, “Observational evidence for earthquakes as a nonlinear dynamic process,” Physica D, vol. 77, no. 1–3, pp. 160–192, 1994.
- B. Enescu and K. Ito, “Some premonitory phenomena of the 1995 Hyogo-Ken Nanbu (Kobe) earthquake: seismicity, b-value and fractal dimension,” Tectonophysics, vol. 338, no. 3-4, pp. 297–314, 2001.
- J. Feder, Fractals, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- Q. Li and G. M. Xu, “Research on Hurst exponent of earthquake frequency in Jiangsu and its adjacent area,” Northwestern Seismological Journal, vol. 24, pp. 247–250, 2002 (Chinese).
- R. Bove, V. Pelino, and L. de Leonibus, “Complexity in rainfall phenomena,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 678–684, 2006.
- J. Li and Y. Chen, “Rescaled range (R/S) analysis on seismic activity parameters,” Acta Seismologica Sinica, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 148–155, 2001.
- Y. Q. Li and P. L. Wang, “Analysis on earthquake frequency Hurst exponent in active block of Qinghai-Xizhang Plateau,” Plateau Earthquake Research, vol. 18, pp. 36–40, 2006 (Chinese).
- B. Q. Wang, H. M. Huang, H. s. Fan, C. Z. Wang, and P. Y. Chen, “Nonlinear R/S method and its applicaion in earthquake prediction,” Acta Seismologica Sinica, vol. 17, pp. 528–532, 1995.
- A. Arneodo, G. Grasseau, and M. Holschneider, “Wavelet transform of multifractals,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 20, pp. 2281–2284, 1988.
- F. Liu and J. Z. Cheng, “Local fractal scale wavelet analysis,” Journal of Xi'an Jiaotong University, vol. 33, pp. 14–34, 1999 (Chinese).
- F. S. Yang, Application of Wavelet Transform on Engineering Analysis, Science Press, Beijing, China, 2003, (Chinese).