- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 530865, 17 pages
Ionospheric Disturbances Recorded by DEMETER Satellite over Active Volcanoes: From August 2004 to December 2010
1CNRS, UMR6524-OPGC-UPB, avenue des Landais, BP80026, 63177 Aubière Cedex, France
2CNES, CNRS, UMR6524-OPGC-UPB, 24 avenue des Landais, 63177 Aubière Cedex, France
3Laboratory of Physics and Chemistry of the Environment and of Space, CNRS, 3 avenue de la Recherche Scientifique, 45071 Orléans Cedex 2, France
Received 13 May 2013; Revised 5 September 2013; Accepted 9 September 2013
Academic Editor: Bruno Zolesi
Copyright © 2013 Jacques Zlotnicki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. C. Frazer-Smith, A. Bernadini, P. R. MC Gill, M. E. Ladd, R. A. Helliwell, and O. G. Villard, “Low-frequency magnetic field measurements near the epicentre of the Ms 7. 1 Loma Prieta earthquake,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1465–1468, 1990.
- M. Hayakawa, R. Kawate, O. A. Molchanov, and K. Yumoto, “Results of ultra-low-frequency magnetic field measurements during the Guam earthquake of 8 August 1993,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 241–244, 1996.
- J. Y. Liu, Y. I. Chen, Y. J. Chuo, and H. F. Tsai, “Variations of ionospheric total electron content during the Chi-Chi earthquake,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1383–1386, 2001.
- K. Hattori, “ULF geomagnetic changes associated with large earthquakes,” Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 329–360, 2004.
- O. A. Molchanov, M. Hayakawa, and V. A. Rafalsky, “Penetration characteristics of electromagnetic emissions from an underground seismic source into the atmosphere, ionosphere, and magnetosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 100, no. A2, pp. 1691–1712, 1995.
- M. J. S. Johnston, “Review of electric and magnetic fields accompanying seismic and volcanic activity,” Surveys in Geophysics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 441–476, 1997.
- M. Hayakawa and O. A. Molchanov, Seismoelectromagnetics, TerraPub, Tokyo, Japan, 2003.
- P. A. Varotsos, The Physics of Seismic Electric Signals, TerraPub, Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- D. Ouzounov, N. Bryant, T. Logan, S. Pulinets, and P. Taylor, “Satellite thermal IR phenomena associated with some of the major earthquakes in 1999–2003,” Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol. 31, no. 4-9, pp. 154–163, 2006.
- M. Parrot, “Anomalous seismic phenomena: view from space,” in Electromagnetic Phenomena Associated with Earthquakes, M. Hayakawa, Ed., pp. 205–233, Transworld Research Network, Trivandrum, India.
- S. A. Pulinets, “Physical mechanism of the vertical electric field generation over active tectonic faults,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 767–773, 2009.
- S. Pulinets and D. Ouzounov, “Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling (LAIC) model—an unified concept for earthquake precursors validation,” Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, vol. 41, no. 4-5, pp. 371–382, 2011.
- J. N. Thomas, J. J. Love, and M. J. S. Johnston, “On the reported magnetic precursor of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake,” Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, vol. 173, no. 3–4, pp. 207–215, 2009.
- J. Qian, “Regional study of the anomalous change in apparent resistivity before the Tangshan earthquake (M = 7.8, 1976) in China,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 901–920, 1984.
- X. B. Du, N. Li, Q. Ye, Z. H. Ma, and R. Yan, “A possible reason for the anisotropic changes in apparent resistivity near the focal region of strong earthquake,” Chinese Journal of Geophysics, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1555–1565, 2007.
- Y. Sasai, J. Zlotnicki, Y. Nishida et al., “Electromagnetic monitoring of miyake-jima volcano, izu-bonin arc, Japan: a preliminary report,” Journal of Geomagnetism and Geoelectricity, vol. 49, no. 11-12, pp. 1293–1316, 1997.
- M. J. S. Johnston, Y. Sasai, G. D. Egbert, and R. J. Mueller, “Seismomagnetic effects from the long-awaited 28 September 2004 M 6.0 Parkfield earthquake,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 96, no. 4 B, pp. S206–S220, 2006.
- D. Ouzounov, S. Pulinets, A. Romanov et al., “Atmosphere-ionosphere response to the M9 Tohoku earthquake revealed by multi-instrument space-borne and ground observations: preliminary results,” Earthquake Science, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 557–564, 2011.
- K. Heki, “Ionospheric electron enhancement preceding the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, no. 17, 2011.
- L. M. He, L. X. Wu, S. Pulinets, S. J. Liu, and F. Yang, “A nonlinear background removal method for seismo-ionospheric anomaly analysis under a complex solar activity scenario: a case study of the M9.0 Tohoku earthquake,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 211–220, 2012.
- M. Akhoondzadeh, “Anomalous TEC variations associated with the powerful Tohoku earthquake of 11 March 2011,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1453–1462, 2012.
- J. Y. Liu, Y. I. Chen, C. H. Chen et al., “Seismoionospheric GPS total electron content anomalies observed before the 12 May 2008 Mw7.9 Wenchuan earthquake,” Journal of Geophysical Research A, vol. 114, no. 4, Article ID A04320, 2009.
- S. Kon, M. Nishihashi, and K. Hattori, “Ionospheric anomalies possibly associated with M ≥ 6.0 earthquakes in the Japan area during 1998–2010: case studies and statistical study,” Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, vol. 41, no. 4-5, pp. 410–420, 2011.
- T. Yukutake, “An overview of the eruptions of Oshima Volcano, Izu, 1986–1987 from the geomagnetic and geoelectric standpoints,” Journal of Geomagnetism & Geoelectricity, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 141–150, 1990.
- T. Hashimoto and Y. Tanaka, “A large self-potential anomaly on Unzen volcano, Shimabara Peninsula, Kyushu Island, Japan,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 191–194, 1995.
- J. Zlotnicki, Y. Sasai, J. P. Toutain et al., “Electromagnetic and geochemical methods applied to investigations of hydrothermal/volcanic unrests: examples of Taal (Philippines) and Miyake-jima (Japan) volcanoes,” Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol. 34, no. 6-7, pp. 394–408, 2009.
- S. Uyeda, M. Hayakawa, T. Nagao et al., “Electric and magnetic phenomena observed before the volcano-seismic activity in 2000 in the Izu Island Region, Japan,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 7352–7355, 2002.
- S. Byrdina, S. Friedel, J. Wassermann, and J. Zlotnicki, “Self-potential variations associated with ultra-long-period seismic signals at Merapi volcano,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 22, 2003.
- J. Zlotnicki, J. L. Le Mouël, A. Gvishiani et al., “Automatic fuzzy-logic recognition of anomalous activity on long geophysical records: application to electric signals associated with the volcanic activity of La Fournaise Volcano (Réunion Island),” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 261–278, 2005.
- R. Napoli, G. Currenti, C. Del Negro, A. Di Stefano, F. Greco, and E. Boschi, “Magnetic features of the magmatic intrusion that occurred in the 2007 eruption at Stromboli Island (Italy),” Bulletin of Volcanology, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1311–1322, 2011.
- C. Del Negro, G. Currenti, R. Napoli, and A. Vicari, “Volcanomagnetic changes accompanying the onset of the 2002–2003 eruption of Mt. Etna (Italy),” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 229, no. 1-2, pp. 1–14, 2004.
- Y. Sasai, M. Uyeshima, J. Zlotnicki et al., “Magnetic and electric field observations during the 2000 activity of Miyake-jima volcano, Central Japan,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 203, no. 2, pp. 769–777, 2002.
- M. B. Gokhberg, V. A. Pilipenko, and O. A. Pokhotelov, “Satellite observation of the electromagnetic radiation above the epicentral region of an incipient earthquake,” Doklady of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR Earth Sciences Sections, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 5–7, 1983.
- M. Parrot, “Statistical study of ELF/VLF emissions recorded by a low altitude satellite during seismic events,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 99, no. A12, pp. 23339–23347, 1994.
- V. Tramutoli, G. Di Bello, N. Pergola, and S. Piscitelli, “Robust satellite techniques for remote sensing of seismically active areas,” Annali di Geofisica, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 295–312, 2001.
- N. Pergola, F. Marchese, and V. Tramutoli, “Automated detection of thermal features of active volcanoes by means of infrared AVHRR records,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 311–327, 2004.
- F. Nemec, O. Santolík, M. Parrot, and J. J. Berthelier, “Spacecraft observations of electromagnetic perturbations connected with seismic activity,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 35, no. 5, 2008.
- F. Nemec, O. Santolík, and M. Parrot, “Decrease of intensity of ELF/VLF waves observed in the upper ionosphere close to earthquakes: a statistical study,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 114, no. A4, 2009.
- R. P. Singh, W. Mehdi, R. Gautam, J. Senthil kumar, J. Zlotnicki, and M. Kafatos, “Precursory signals using satellite and ground data associated with the Wenchuan earthquake of 12 may 2008,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3341–3354, 2010.
- K. Cheng and Y. H. Huang, “Ionospheric disturbances observed during the period of Pinatubo eruptions in June 1991,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 97, no. A11, pp. 16995–17004, 1992.
- A. H. C. de Ragone, A. N. F. de Manzano, A. G. Elias, and M. Z. de Artigas, “Ionospheric effects of volcanic eruptions,” Geofisica Internacional, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 2004.
- J. Zlotnicki, F. Li, and M. Parrot, “Signals recorded by DEMETER satellite over active volcanoes during the period 2004 August–2007 December,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 1332–1347, 2010.
- J. J. Berthelier, M. Godefroy, F. Leblanc et al., “ICE, the electric field experiment on DEMETER,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 456–471, 2006.
- D. Lagoutte, J. Y. Brochot, D. de Carvalho et al., “The DEMETER science mission centre,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 428–440, 2006.
- J.-P. Lebreton, S. Stverak, P. Travnicek et al., “The ISL langmuir probe experiment processing onboard DEMETER: scientific Objectives, description and first results,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 472–486, 2006.
- M. Parrot, D. Benoist, J. J. Berthelier et al., “The magnetic field experiment IMSC and its data processing onboard DEMETER: scientific objectives, description and first results,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 441–455, 2006.
- J. Zlotnicki, J. L. Le Mouël, R. Kanwar et al., “Ground-based electromagnetic studies combined with remote sensing based on DEMETER mission: a way to monitor active faults and volcanoes,” Planetary and Space Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 541–557, 2006.
- S. R. McNutt, “Seismic monitoring and eruption forecasting of volcanoes: a review of the state-of-the-art and case histories,” in Monitoring and Mitigation of Volcano Hazards, R. Scarpa and R. Tilling, Eds., pp. 99–146, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1996.
- C. R. J. Kilburn, “Multiscale fracturing as a key to forecasting volcanic eruptions,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 125, no. 3-4, pp. 271–289, 2003.
- S. Sarkar, A. K. Gwal, and M. Parrot, “Ionospheric variations observed by the DEMETER satellite in the mid-latitude region during strong earthquakes,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 69, no. 13, pp. 1524–1540, 2007.
- M. Parrot, J. J. Berthelier, J. P. Lebreton, J. A. Sauvaud, O. Santolik, and J. Blecki, “Examples of unusual ionospheric observations made by the title satellite over seismic regions,” Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol. 31, no. 4-9, pp. 486–495, 2006.
- S. Bhattacharya, S. Sarkar, A. K. Gwal, and M. Parrot, “Satellite and ground-based ULF/ELF emissions observed before Gujarat earthquake in March 2006,” Current Science, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2007.
- S. Bhattacharya, S. Sarkar, A. K. Gwal, and M. Parrot, “Observations of ULF/ELF anomalies detected by DEMETER satellite prior to earthquakes,” Indian Journal Of Radio & Space Physics, vol. 36, pp. 103–113, 2007.
- Y. Sasai, T. Shimomura, Y. Hamano et al., “Volcanomagnetic effect observed during the 1986 eruption of Izu-Oshima volcano,” Journal of Geomagnetism and Geoelectricity, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 291–317, 1990.
- M. Yamamoto, H. Kawakatsu, K. Yomogida, and J. Koyama, “Long-period (12 sec) volcanic tremor observed at Usu 2000 eruption: seismological detection of a deep magma plumbing system,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 43–1, 2002.
- S. F. M. Chastin and I. G. Main, “Statistical analysis of daily seismic event rate as a precursor to volcanic eruptions,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 13, 2003.
- S. D. Malone, C. Boyko, and C. S. Weaver, “Seismic precursors to the Mount St. Helens eruptions in 1981 and 1982,” Science, vol. 221, no. 4618, pp. 1376–1378, 1983.
- A. Ratdomopurbo and G. Poupinet, “An overview of the seismicity of Merapi volcano (Java, Indonesia), 1983–1994,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 100, no. 1–4, pp. 193–214, 2000.
- C. R. J. Kilburn and P. R. Sammonds, “Maximum warning times for imminent volcanic eruptions,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 24, 2005.
- P. Surono, P. Jousset, J. P. M. Boichu et al., “The 2010 explosive eruption of Java's Merapi volcano—a “100-year” event,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 241-242, pp. 121–135.
- B. Voight, “A relation to describe rate-dependent material failure,” Science, vol. 243, no. 4888, pp. 200–203, 1989.
- W. J. McGuire and C. R. J. Kilburn, “Forecasting volcanic events: some contemporary issues,” Geologische Rundschau, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 439–445, 1997.
- S. R. Mc Nutt, “Volcano seismicity,” in Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, H. Sigurdson, Ed., pp. 1015–1033, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2000.
- T. Menand and S. R. Tait, “A phenomenological model for precursor volcanic eruptions,” Nature, vol. 411, no. 6838, pp. 678–680, 2001.
- T. A. Mather and R. G. Harisson, “Electrification of volcanic plumes,” Surveys in Geophysics, vol. 27, pp. 387–432, 2006.
- V. M. Sorokin, “Plasma and electromagnetic effects in the ionosphere related to the dynamics of charged aerosols in the lower atmosphere,” Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 138–170, 2007.
- V. M. Sorokin, A. K. Yaschenko, and M. Hayakawa, “A perturbation of DC electric field caused by light ion adhesion to aerosols during the growth in seismic-related atmospheric radioactivity,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 155–163, 2007.
- T. Simkin, L. Siebert, L. McClelland, D. Bridge, C. Newhall, and J. H. Latter, Volcanoes of the World, Hutchinson Ross Publishing, Stroudsburg, Pa, USA, 2nd Ed edition, 1994.
- C. Small and T. Naumann, “The global distribution of human population and recent volcanism,” Environmental Hazards, vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 93–109, 2001.
- M. T. Gudmundsson, R. Pedersen, K. Vogfjörd, B. Thorbjarnardóttir, S. Jakobsdóttir, and M. J. Roberts, “Eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Iceland,” Eos, vol. 91, no. 21, pp. 190–191, 2010.