- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 608037, 12 pages
Sensitivity and Resolution Capacity of Electrode Configurations
Department of Geology and Applied Geophysics, Faculty of Science, Adekunle Ajasin University, PMB 001, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria
Received 10 June 2013; Revised 26 July 2013; Accepted 25 August 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco Soldovieri
Copyright © 2013 Cyril Chibueze Okpoli. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Ahzegbobor, Acquisition geometry and inversion of 3D geoelectrical resistivity imaging data for environmental and engineering investigations [Ph.D. thesis], Physics Department, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, 2010.
- R. D. Barker, “Signal contribution sections and their use in resistivity studies,” Geophysical Journal, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 123–129, 1979.
- M. Muskat and H. H. Evinger, “Current penetration in direct current prospecting,” Geophysics, vol. 6, pp. 397–427, 1941.
- H. M. Evjen, “Depth factor and resolving power of electrical measurements,” Geophysics, vol. 3, pp. 78–85, 1938.
- A. Roy and A. Apparao, “Depth of investigation in direct current methods,” Geophysics, vol. 36, pp. 943–959, 1971.
- A. Roy, “Depth of investigation in Wenner, three-electrode and dipole-dipole DC resistivity methods,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 329–340, 1972.
- O. Koefoed, “Discussion on “Depth of investigation in direct current methods” by A. Roy and A. Apparao,” Geophysics, vol. 37, pp. 703–704, 1972.
- D. S. Parasnis, “More comments on “A theorem for Dc regimes and some of its consequences” by A. Roy,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 32, pp. 139–141, 1984.
- S. C. Guerreiro, “Comment on “A theorem for direct current regimes and some of its consequences” by A. Roy and some related papers and comments,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 192–195, 1983.
- B. Banerjee and B. P. Pal, “A simple method for determination of depth of investigation characteristics in resistivity prospecting,” Exploration Geophysics, vol. 17, pp. 93–95, 1986.
- M. N. Nabighian and C. L. Elliot, “Negative induced polarization effects from layered media,” Geophysics, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1236–1255, 1976.
- K. K. Roy and H. M. Elliot, “Some observations regarding depth of exploration in D.C. electrical methods,” Geoexploration, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1981.
- L. S. Edwards, “A modified pseudosection for resistivity and induced polarization,” Geophysics, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1020–1036, 1977.
- R. D. Barker, “Depth of investigation of collinear symmetrical four-electrode arrays,” Geophysics, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1031–1037, 1989.
- T. Dahlin and B. Zhou, “A numerical comparison of 2D resistivity imaging with 10 electrode arrays,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 379–398, 2004.
- M. H. Loke, “Tutorial: 2D and 3D electrical imaging surveys,” 2004, http://www.geotomosoft.com/.
- O. Pazdirek and V. Blaha, “Examples of resistivity imaging using ME-100 resistivity field acquisition system,” in Proceedings of the EAGE 58th Conference and Technical Exhibition Extended Abstracts, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1996.
- M. H. Loke, “Electrical Imaging surveys for environmental and engineering studies: a practical guide to 2D and 3D surveys,” 2001, http://www.geotomosoft.com/.
- P. Stummer, H. Maurer, and A. G. Green, “Experimental design: electrical resistivity data sets that provide optimum subsurface information,” Geophysics, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 120–139, 2004.
- P. B. Wilkinson, P. I. Meldrum, J. E. Chambers, O. Kuras, and R. D. Ogilvy, “Improved strategies for the automatic selection of optimized sets of electrical resistivity tomography measurement configurations,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 1119–1126, 2006.
- A. Furman, T. P. A. Ferré, and G. L. Heath, “Spatial focusing of electrical resistivity surveys considering geologic and hydrologic layering,” Geophysics, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. F65–F73, 2007.
- T. Hennig, A. Weller, and M. Möller, “Object orientated focussing of geoelectrical multielectrode measurements,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 57–64, 2008.
- J. Chambers, R. Ogilvy, P. Meldrum, and J. Nissen, “3D resistivity imaging of buried oil- and tar-contaminated waste deposits,” European Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 1999.
- T. Dahlin, On the Automation of 2D Resistivity Surveying for Engineering and Environmental Applications, Lind University, 1993.
- Y. Sasaki, “Resolution of resistivity tomography inferred from numerical simulation,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 453–463, 1992.
- T. Dahlin and M. H. Loke, “Resolution of 2D Wenner resistivity imaging as assessed by numerical modelling,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 237–249, 1998.
- A. I. Olayinka and U. Yaramanci, “Assessment of the reliability of 2D inversion of apparent resistivity data,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 293–316, 2000.
- H. Militzer, R. Rosler, and W. Losch, “Theoretical and experimental investigations for cavity research with geoelectrical resistivity methods,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 640–652, 1979.
- G. M. Habberjam, “Apparent resistivity anisotropy and strike measurements,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 211–247, 1975.
- G. M. Habberjam, “The effects of anisotropy on square array resistivity measurements,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 249–266, 1972.
- R. G. Van Nostrand and K. L. Cook, “Interpretation of resistivity data,” U. S. Geological Survey Professional, 499 pages, 1966, http://books.google.com/.
- K. Spitzer and H.-J. Kümpel, “3D FD resistivity modelling and sensitivity analyses applied to a highly resistive phonolitic body,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 963–982, 1997.
- P. R. McGillivray and D. W. Oldenburg, “Methods for calculating Frechet derivatives and sensitivities for the non-linear inverse problem: a comparative study,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 499–524, 1990.
- D. E. Boerner and G. F. West, “Frechet derivatives and single scattering theory,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 385–390, 1989.
- D. W. Oldenburg, “The interpretation of direct current measurements,” Geophysics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 610–625, 1978.
- Y. Sasaki, “3-D resistivity inversion using the finite-element method,” Geophysics, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1839–1848, 1994.
- M. Noel and B. X. Biwen Xu, “Archaeological investigation by electrical resistivity tomography: a preliminary study,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 1991.
- S. K. Park and G. P. Van, “Inversion of pole-pole data for 3-D resistivity structure beneath arrays of electrodes,” Geophysics, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 951–960, 1991.
- K. Spitzer, “The three-dimensional DC sensitivity for surface and subsurface sources,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 736–746, 1998.
- J. A. Stratton, Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1941.
- R. F. Harrinton, Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, Electrical and Electronic Engineering Series, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1961.
- F. S. Grant and G. F. West, Interpretation Theory in Applied Geophysics, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- S. H. Ward and G. W. Hohmann, “Electromagnetic theory for geophysical applications,” in Electromagnetic Methods in Applied Geophysics, Investigations in Geophysical Series, M. N. Nabighian, Ed., vol. 1, pp. 131–312, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Tulsa, Okla, USA, 1987.
- G. V. Keller and F. C. Frischknecht, Methods in Geophysical Prospecting, Pergamo Press, 1966.
- W. M. Telford, L. P. Geldart, R. E. Sheriff, and D. A. Keys, Applied Geophysics, Cambridge University Press, Lodon, UK, 1976.
- T. Dahlin and M. H. Loke, “Quasi-3D resistivity imaging-mapping of three-dimensional structures using two-dimensional DC resistivity techniques,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Meeting of the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society, pp. 143–146, 1997.
- D. H. Griffiths, J. Turnbull, and A. I. Olayinka, “Two-dimensional resistivity mapping with a complex controlled array,” First Break, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 121–129, 1990.
- E. S. Robinson and C. Coruh, Exploration Geophysics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- R. A. V. Overmeeren and I. L. Ritsema, “Continuous vertical electrical sounding,” First Break, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 313–324, 1988.
- O. Koefoed, Geosounding Principles 1: Resistivity Sounding Measurements, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1979.
- H. M. Mooney, E. Orellana, H. Pickett, and L. Tornheim, “A resistivity computation method for layered earth models,” Geophysics, vol. 31, pp. 192–203, 1966.
- D. P. Ghosh, “The application of linear filter theory to the direct interpretation of geoelectrical resistivity sounding measurements,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 19, pp. 192–217, 1971.
- J. R. Inman, J. Ryu, and S. H. Ward, “Resistivity inversion,” Geophysics, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1088–1108, 1973.
- A. A. R. Zohdy, “A new method for the automatic interpretation of Schlumberger and Wenner sounding curves,” Geophysics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 245–253, 1989.
- P. Furness, “Gradient array profiles over thin resistive veins,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 113–130, 1993.
- A. Dey and H. F. Morrison, “Resistivity modelling for arbitrarily shaped three- dimensional structure,” Geophysics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 753–780, 1979.
- R. S. Varga, Matrix Iteration Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1962.
- K. S. Cheng, S. J. Simske, D. Isaacson, J. C. Newell, and D. G. Gisser, “Errors due to measuring voltage on current-carrying electrodes in electric current computed tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 60–65, 1990.