- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Hepatology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 942360, 5 pages
A Case of a Ruptured Sclerosing Liver Hemangioma
1Division of Hepatology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1500 NW 12th Avenue, Suite 1101, Miami, FL 33136, USA
2Department of Pathology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1611 NW 12th Avenue, Holtz Building, Room 2042, Miami, FL 33136, USA
3Department of Radiology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1611 NW 12th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
4Miami Transplant Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Highland Professional Building, 1801 NW 9th Avenue, 3rd Floor, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Received 1 December 2010; Accepted 11 April 2011
Academic Editor: Yo-ichi Yamashita
Copyright © 2011 Haris Papafragkakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. F. Dietrich, J. C. Mertens, B. Braden, G. Schuessler, M. Ott, and A. Ignee, “Contrast-enhanced ultrasound of histologically proven liver hemangiomas,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1139–1145, 2007.
- C. F. Geschickter and L. E. Keasbey, “Tumors of blood vessels,” American Journal of Cancer, vol. 25, p. 568, 1935.
- J. H. Sewell and K. Weiss, “Spontaneous rupture of hemangioma of the liver,” Archives of surgery, vol. 83, pp. 729–733, 1961.
- F. Caseiro-Alves, J. Brito, A. E. Araujo et al., “Liver haemangioma: common and uncommon findings and how to improve the differential diagnosis,” European Radiology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1544–1554, 2007.
- P. Gandolfi, P. Leo, E. Vitelli, G. Verros, and A. Colecchia, “Natural history of hepatic haemangiomas: clinical and ultrasound study,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 677–680, 1991.
- K. Takayasu, M. Makuuchi, and T. Takayama, “Computed tomography of a rapidly growing hepatic hemangioma,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 143–145, 1990.
- J. Chang, D. Most, S. Bresnick et al., “Proliferative hemangiomas: analysis of cytokine gene expression and angiogenesis,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1999.
- K. Takahashi, J. B. Mulliken, H. P. W. Kozakewich, R. A. Rogers, J. Folkman, and R. A. B. Ezekowitz, “Cellular markers that distinguish the phases of hemangioma during infancy and childhood,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 2357–2364, 1994.
- Y. Yu, J. Varughese, L. F. Brown, J. B. Mulliken, and J. Bischoff, “Increased Tie2 expression, enhanced response to angiopoietin-1, and dysregulated angiopoietin-2 expression in hemangioma-derived endothelial cells,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 159, no. 6, pp. 2271–2280, 2001.
- W. J. Zhang, L. Y. Ye, L. Q. Wu et al., “Morphologic, phenotypic and functional characteristics of endothelial cells derived from human hepatic cavernous hemangioma,” Journal of Vascular Research, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 522–532, 2006.
- D. Hu, Y. L. Ran, X. Zhong et al., “Overexpressed Derlin-1 inhibits ER expansion in the endothelial cells derived from human hepatic cavernous hemangioma,” Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 677–685, 2006.
- P. Bioulac-Sage, H. Laumonier, C. Laurent, J. F. Blanc, and C. Balabaud, “Benign and malignant vascular tumors of the liver in adults,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 302–314, 2008.
- R. L. Bree, R. E. Schwab, G. M. Glazer, and D. Fink-Bennett, “The varied appearances of hepatic cavernous hemangiomas with sonography, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging and scintigraphy,” Radiographics, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1153–1175, 1987.
- N. Assy, G. Nasser, A. Djibre, Z. Beniashv II, S. Elias, and J. Zidan, “Characteristics of common solid liver lesions and recommendations for diagnostic workup,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 26, pp. 3217–3227, 2009.
- B. Descottes, D. Glineur, F. Lachachi et al., “Laparoscopic liver resection of benign liver tumors,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2003.
- K. Shimoji, A. Shiraishi, R. Kuwatsuru, T. Maehara, T. Matsumoto, and Y. Kurosaki, “Spontaneous subacute intratumoral hemorrhage of hepatic cavernous hemangioma: MRI,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 443–445, 2004.
- A. Cappellani, A. Zanghì, M. Di Vita, G. Zanghì, G. Tomarchio, and G. Petrillo, “Spontaneous rupture of a giant hemangioma of the liver,” Annali Italiani di Chirurgia, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 379–383, 2000.
- N. Corigliano, P. Mercantini, P. M. Amodio et al., “Hemoperitoneum from a spontaneous rupture of a giant hemangioma of the liver: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 459–463, 2003.
- V. Haefen, Inaugural Dissertation, Würzburg Germany, 1898.
- V. F. Trastek, J. A. van Heerden, P. F. Sheedy, and M. A. Adson, “Cavernous hemangiomas of the liver: resect or observe?” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 1983.
- R. Gedaly, J. J. Pomposelli, E. A. Pomfret, W. D. Lewis, and R. L. Jenkins, “Cavernous hemangioma of the liver. Anatomic resection vs enucleation,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 407–411, 1999.
- D. Erdogan, O. R. C. Busch, O. M. van Delden et al., “Management of liver hemangiomas according to size and symptoms,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1953–1958, 2007.
- K. Vassiou, H. Rountas, P. Liakou, D. Arvanitis, I. Fezoulidis, and K. Tepetes, “Embolization of a giant hepatic hemangioma prior to urgent liver resection. Case report and review of the literature,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 800–802, 2007.
- V. Jain, V. Ramachandran, R. Garg, S. Pal, S. R. Gamanagatti, and D. N. Srivastava, “Spontaneous rupture of a giant hepatic hemangioma—sequential management with transcatheter arterial embolization and resection,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 116–119, 2010.
- B. Vokaer, K. Kothonidis, P. Delatte, S. De Cooman, J. C. Pector, and G. Liberale, “Should ruptured liver haemangioma be treated by surgery or by conservative means?” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 761–764, 2008.
- M. W. Russo, M. W. Johnson, J. H. Fair, and R. S. Brown, “Orthotopic liver transplantation for giant hepatic hemangioma,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 1940–1941, 1997.
- L. Gaspar, F. Mascarenhas, M. Sa da Costa, J. Schaller Dias, J. Gama Afonso, and M. E. Silvestre, “Radiation therapy in the unresectable cavernous hemangioma of the liver,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 1993.