- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Hepatology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 928960, 5 pages
Etiologies and Outcomes of Acute Liver Failure in a Spanish Community
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, University Hospital “Marqués de Valdecilla”, Instituto de Formación e Investigación Marqués de Valdecilla (IFIMAV), Avenida Valdecilla s/n., Santander, 39008 Cantabria, Spain
Received 19 May 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Matthias Bahr
Copyright © 2013 Emilio Fábrega et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Trey and C. S. Davidson, “The management of fulminant hepatic failure,” in Progress in Liver Diseases, H. Popper and F. Schaffner, Eds., pp. 282–298, Grune & Stratton, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- J. Bernuau, B. Rueff, and J. P. Benhamou, “Fulminant and subfulminant liver failure: definitions and causes,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 97–106, 1986.
- J. G. O'Grady, “Postoperative issues and outcome for acute liver failure.,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 14, no. supplement 2, pp. S97–S101, 2008.
- G. Ostapowicz, R. J. Fontana, F. V. Schiodt et al., “Results of a prospective study of acute liver failure at 17 tertiary care centers in the United States,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 137, no. 12, pp. 947–954, 2002.
- Á. Escorsell, A. Mas, and M. de la Mata, “Acute liver failure in Spain: analysis of 267 cases,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1389–1395, 2007.
- J. G. O'Grady, S. W. Schalm, and R. Williams, “Acute liver failure: redefining the syndromes,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8866, pp. 273–275, 1993.
- W. M. Lee, “Acute liver failure,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 25, pp. 1862–1872, 1993.
- J. G. O'Grady, G. J. M. Alexander, K. M. Hayllar, and R. Williams, “Early indicators of prognosis in fulminant hepatic failure,” Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 439–445, 1989.
- J. Bernuau, A. Goudeau, and T. Poynard, “Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in fulminant hepatitis B,” Hepatology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 648–651, 1986.
- W. M. Lee, “Recent developments in acute liver failure,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2012.
- R. Adam, V. Karam, V. Delvart, et al., “Evolution of indications and results of liver transplantation in Europe. A report from the European Liver Transplant Registry (ELTR),” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 675–688, 2012.
- G. Germani, E. Theocharidou, R. Adam, et al., “Liver transplantation for acute liver failure in Europe: outcomes over 20 years from the ELTR database,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 288–296, 2012.
- S. K. Acharya, S. Dasarathy, T. L. Kumer et al., “Fulminant hepatitis in a tropical population: clinical course, cause, and early predictors of outcome,” Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1448–1455, 1996.
- M. Oketani, A. Ido, and H. Tsubouchi, “Changing etiologies and outcomes of acute liver failure: a perspective from Japan,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. supplement 1, pp. 65–71, 2011.
- W. Bernal, T. J. S. Cross, G. Auzinger et al., “Outcome after wait-listing for emergency liver transplantation in acute liver failure: a single centre experience,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 306–313, 2009.
- J. Rakela, J. W. Mosley, V. M. Edwards, S. Govindarajan, and E. Alpert, “A double-blinded, randomized trial of hydrocortisone in acute hepatic failure,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1223–1228, 1991.
- R. T. Stravitz and D. J. Kramer, “Management of acute liver failure,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 542–553, 2009.
- W. Bernal, G. Auzinger, and J. Wendon, “Prognostic utility of the bilirubin lactate and etiology score,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 2, p. 249, 2009.
- S. Sarwar, A. A. Khan, A. Alam et al., “Predictors of fatal outcome in fulminant hepatic failure,” Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 112–116, 2006.
- C. M. Chu and Y. F. Liaw, “The incidence of fulminant hepatic failure in acute viral hepatitis in Taiwan: increased risk in patients with pre-existing HBsAg carrier state,” Infection, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 200–203, 1990.
- J. Polson and W. M. Lee, “Etiologies of acute liver failure: location, location, location!,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1362–1363, 2007.
- S. E. Gulmez, D. Larrey, G. P. Pageaux, et al., “Transplantation for acute liver failure in patients exposed to NSAID sor paracetamol (acetaminophen): the multinational case-population SALT study,” Drug Safety, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 135–144, 2013.
- R. Jalan, R. Williams, and J. Bernuau, “Paracetamol: are therapeutic doses entirely safe?” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9554, pp. 2195–2196, 2006.
- T. J. Davern II, L. P. James, J. A. Hinson et al., “Measurement of serum acetaminophen-protein adducts in patients with acute liver failure,” Gastroenterology, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 687–694, 2006.
- P. Ichai and D. Samuel, “Etiology and prognosis of fulminant hepatitis in adults,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 14, no. supplement 2, pp. S67–S79, 2008.
- S. E. Yantorno, W. K. Kremers, A. E. Ruf, J. J. Trentadue, L. G. Podestá, and F. G. Villamil, “MELD is superior to King's college and Clichy's criteria to assess prognosis in fulminant hepatic failure,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 822–828, 2007.
- W. M. Lee, R. H. Squires Jr., S. L. Nyberg, E. Doo, and J. H. Hoofnagle, “Acute liver failure: summary of a workshop,” Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1401–1415, 2008.
- D. J. Ritt, G. Whelan, D. J. Werner, E. H. Eigenbrodt, S. Schenker, and B. Combes, “Acute hepatic necrosis with stupor or coma. An analysis of thirty-one patients,” Medicine, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 151–172, 1969.
- J. Rakela, S. M. Lange, J. Ludwig, and W. P. Baldus, “Fulminant hepatitis: Mayo Clinic experience with 34 cases,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 289–292, 1985.