- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Inflammation
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 514659, 5 pages
Salivary C-Reactive Protein in Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Subacute Thyroiditis
1Department of Biochemistry, Yenepoya Medical College, Deralakatte, Mangalore 575018, India
2Department of Biochemistry, K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, Deralakatte, Mangalore 575018, India
3Department of Pathology, Yenepoya Medical College, Deralakatte, Mangalore 575018, India
4Department of Biochemistry, A. J. Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore 575004, India
Received 16 June 2010; Revised 13 August 2010; Accepted 23 August 2010
Academic Editor: Andrew Stewart Day
Copyright © 2010 Nivedita L. Rao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. P. Vanderpump and W. M. Tunbridge, “Epidemiology and prevention of clinical and subclinical hypothyroidism,” Thyroid, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 839–847, 2002.
- L. Punzi and C. Betterle, “Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis and rheumatic manifestations,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 275–283, 2004.
- G. Mendelson, “Pathology of thyroid disease,” in Diagnosis and Pathology of Endocrine Diseases, p. 37, Lippencott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1988.
- T. F. Nikolai, “Silent thyroiditis and subacute thyroiditis,” in Werner and Ingbar’s the Thyroid: A Fundamental and Clinical Text, pp. 710–727, Lippencott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 1991.
- C. Gabay and I. Kushner, “Mechanisms of disease: acute-phase proteins and other systemic responses to inflammation,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 6, pp. 448–454, 1999.
- J. E. Volanakis, “Human C-reactive protein: expression, structure, and function,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 38, no. 2-3, pp. 189–197, 2001.
- T. A. Pearson, G. A. Mensah, R. W. Alexander et al., “Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: a statement for healthcare professionals from the centers for disease control and prevention and the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 499–511, 2003.
- N. Christodoulides, S. Mohanty, C. S. Miller et al., “Application of microchip assay system for the measurement of C-reactive protein in human saliva,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 261–269, 2005.
- D. Malamud, “Saliva as a diagnostic fluid,” British Medical Journal, vol. 305, no. 6847, pp. 207–208, 1992.
- I. D. Mandel, “A contemporary view of salivary research,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 599–604, 1993.
- E. N. Pearce, F. Bogazzi, E. Martino et al., “The prevalence of elevated serum C-reactive protein levels in inflammatory and noninflammatory thyroid disease,” Thyroid, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 643–648, 2003.
- M. Navazesh, “Methods for collecting saliva,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 694, pp. 72–77, 1993.
- L. Bartalena, S. Brogioni, L. Grasso, and E. Martino, “Increased serum interleukin-6 concentration in patients with subacute thyroiditis: relationship with concomitant changes in serum T4-binding globulin concentration,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 213–218, 1993.
- G. Chodorowska, D. Wojnowska, and M. Juszkiewicz-Borowiec, “C-reactive protein and α2-macroglobulin plasma activity in medium-severe and severe psoriasis,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 180–183, 2004.
- K. Assya, G. Ivan, and I. Aneta, “Psoriatic patients and salivary components,” Oral Health and Dental Management in the Black Sea Countries, vol. 8, pp. 12–15, 2009.
- A. M. Gutiérrez, S. Martínez-Subiela, P. D. Eckersall, and J. J. Cerón, “C-reactive protein quantification in porcine saliva: a minimally invasive test for pig health monitoring,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 181, no. 3, pp. 261–265, 2009.
- M. B. Pepys and G. M. Hirschfield, “C-reactive protein: a critical update,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 111, no. 12, pp. 1805–1812, 2003.
- E. Sacide, B. Suna, V. Pervin, and D. Sevgin, “Acute-phase reactans in Hashimoto thyroiditis,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 8, no. 13-14, pp. 1863–1865, 2008.
- Y. C. Kon and L. J. DeGroot, “Painful Hashimoto's thyroiditis as an indication for thyroidectomy: clinical characteristics and outcome in seven patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 2667–2672, 2003.
- A. Tuzcu, M. Bahceci, D. Gokalp, Y. Tuzun, and K. Gunes, “Subclinical hypothyroidism may be associated with elevated high-sensitive C-reactive protein (low grade inflammation) and fasting hyperinsulinemia,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 89–94, 2005.
- M. Christ-Crain, C. Meier, M. Guglielmetti et al., “Elevated C-reactive protein and homocysteine values: cardiovascular risk factors in hypothyroidism? A cross-sectional and a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 379–386, 2003.
- S. Taddei, N. Caraccio, A. Virdis et al., “Low-grade systemic inflammation causes endothelial dysfunction in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 5076–5082, 2006.
- W. J. Hueston, D. E. King, and M. E. Geesey, “Serum biomarkers for cardiovascular inflammation in subclinical hypothyroidism,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 582–587, 2005.
- G. Mazziotti, F. Sorvillo, C. Naclerio et al., “Type-1 response in peripheral CD4+ and CD8+ T cells from patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 383–388, 2003.