- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Inflammation
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 247503, 6 pages
Interleukin-17A Exacerbates Ferric Chloride-Induced Arterial Thrombosis in Rat Carotid Artery
1Department of Pharmacy, University of Naples Federico II, Via Domenico Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
2Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, University of Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, Fisciano, 84084 Salerno, Italy
3William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Received 29 January 2014; Accepted 11 March 2014; Published 3 April 2014
Academic Editor: Vincenzo Brancaleone
Copyright © 2014 Francesco Maione et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Frostegard, “Atherosclerosis in patients with autoimmune disorders,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1776–1785, 2005.
- C. Cicala and G. Cirino, “Linkage between inflammation and coagulation: an update on the molecular basis of the crosstalk,” Life Sciences, vol. 62, no. 20, pp. 1817–1824, 1998.
- S. Strukova, “Blood coagulation-dependent inflammation. Coagulation-dependent inflammation and inflammation-dependent thrombosis,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 59–80, 2006.
- J. P. Fägerstam, P. A. Whiss, M. Ström, and R. G. Andersson, “Expression of platelet P-selectin and detection of soluble P-selectin, NPY and RANTES in patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammation Research, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 466–472, 2000.
- A. Mameli, D. Barcellona, and F. Marongiu, “Rheumatoid arthritis and thrombosis,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 846–855, 2009.
- P. A. Mac Mullan, A. J. Peace, A. M. Madigan, A. F. Tedesco, D. Kenny, and G. M. McCarthy, “Platelet hyper-reactivity in active inflammatory arthritis is unique to the adenosine diphosphate pathway: a novel finding and potential therapeutic target,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 240–245, 2009.
- A. T. Nurden, “Platelets, inflammation and tissue regeneration,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 105, supplement 1, pp. S13–S33, 2011.
- B. Engelmann and S. Massberg, “Thrombosis as an intravascular effector of innate immunity,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 34–45, 2013.
- F. D'Acquisto, F. Maione, and M. Pederzoli-Ribeil, “From IL-15 to IL-33: the never-ending list of new players in inflammation. Is it time to forget the humble aspirin and move ahead?” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 525–534, 2010.
- R. M. Onishi and S. L. Gaffen, “Interleukin-17 and its target genes: mechanisms of interleukin-17 function in disease,” Immunology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 311–321, 2010.
- Y. Iwakura, H. Ishigame, S. Saijo, and S. Nakae, “Functional specialization of interleukin-17 family members,” Immunity, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 149–162, 2011.
- F. Maione, N. Paschalidis, N. Mascolo, N. Dufton, M. Perretti, and F. D'Acquisto, “Interleukin 17 sustains rather than induces inflammation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 878–887, 2009.
- X. Q. Chen, Y. C. Yu, H. H. Deng et al., “Plasma IL-17A is increased in new-onset SLE patients and associated with disease activity,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 2010.
- J. Leipe, M. Grunke, C. Dechant et al., “Role of Th17 cells in human autoimmune arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 2876–2885, 2010.
- X.-F. Zhao, H.-F. Pan, H. Yuan et al., “Increased serum interleukin 17 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2010.
- E. Smith, K. M. Prasad, M. Butcher et al., “Blockade of interleukin-17A results in reduced atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 15, pp. 1746–1755, 2010.
- X. Cheng, X. Yu, Y.-J. Ding et al., “The Th17/Treg imbalance in patients with acute coronary syndrome,” Clinical Immunology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2009.
- R. E. Eid, D. A. Rao, J. Zhou et al., “Interleukin-17 and interferon-γ are produced concomitantly by human coronary artery-infiltrating T cells and act synergistically on vascular smooth muscle cells,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 10, pp. 1424–1432, 2009.
- W. Marder, S. Khalatbari, J. D. Myles et al., “Interleukin 17 as a novel predictor of vascular function in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 1550–1555, 2011.
- A. Hot, V. Lenief, and P. Miossec, “Combination of IL-17 and TNFα induces a pro-inflammatory, pro-coagulant and pro-thrombotic phenotype in human endothelial cells,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 768–776, 2012.
- Z. M. Ruggeri, “Platelet interactions with vessel wall components during thrombogenesis,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 145–147, 2006.
- F. Maione, C. Cicala, E. Liverani, N. Mascolo, M. Perretti, and F. D'Acquisto, “IL-17A increases ADP-induced platelet aggregation,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 408, no. 4, pp. 658–662, 2011.
- J. Garbaraviciene, S. Diehl, D. Varwig et al., “Platelet P-selectin reflects a state of cutaneous inflammation: possible application to monitor treatment efficacy in psoriasis,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 736–741, 2010.
- K. D. Kurz, B. W. Main, and G. E. Sandusky, “Rat model of arterial thrombosis induced by ferric chloride,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 269–280, 1990.
- E. M. Saucedo, R. S. Pereira, G. M. Barbosa et al., “Enzymes that hydrolyze adenine nucleotides in lymphocytes and platelets of immunosuppressed rats,” Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 437–440, 2010.
- K.-M. Chan, D. Delfert, and K. D. Junger, “A direct colorimetric assay for Ca2+-stimulated ATPase activity,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 375–380, 1986.
- R. J. Broersma, L. W. Kutcher, and E. F. Heminger, “The effect of thrombin inhibition in a rat arterial thrombosis model,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 405–412, 1991.
- L. Wang, C. Miller, R. F. Swarthout, M. Rao, N. Mackman, and M. B. Taubman, “Vascular smooth muscle-derived tissue factor is critical for arterial thrombosis after ferric chloride-induced injury,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 705–713, 2009.
- B. Atkinson, K. Dwyer, K. Enjyoji, and S. C. Robson, “Ecto-nucleotidases of the CD39/NTPDase family modulate platelet activation and thrombus formation: potential as therapeutic targets,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 2006.
- M. Cai, Z. M. Huttinger, H. He et al., “Transgenic over expression of ectonucleotide triphosphate diphosphohydrolase-1 protects against murine myocardial ischemic injury,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 927–935, 2011.
- K. Enjyoji, J. Sévigny, Y. Lin et al., “Targeted disruption of cd39/ATP diphosphohydrolase results in disordered hemostasis and thromboregulation,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1010–1017, 1999.