- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 203606, 8 pages
Structural Stereochemistry of Androstene Hormones Determines Interactions with Human Androgen, Estrogen, and Glucocorticoid Receptors
1Department of Integrative Life Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
2Virginia Commonwealth University Reanimation Engineering Science Center (VCURES), Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
3Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1101 E. Marshall Street, Sanger Hall, Room 2-004, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
4Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23249, USA
5Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
6Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
7Michigan Critical Injury and Illness Research Center, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
8Department of Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Emergency Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Received 17 January 2013; Revised 27 February 2013; Accepted 14 March 2013
Academic Editor: Patrick Bednarski
Copyright © 2013 Thomas L. Shaak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. S. Dillon, “Dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and related steroids: their role in inflammatory, allergic and immunological disorders,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 377–385, 2005.
- R. Oberbeck and P. Kobbe, “DEhydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): a steroid with multiple effects. Is there any possible option in the treatment of critical illness?” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1039–1047, 2010.
- R. M. Loria and D. A. Padgett, “Androstenediol regulates systemic resistance against lethal infections in mice,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 685, pp. 293–295, 1993.
- R. M. Loria and D. A. Padgett, “Mobilization of cutaneous immunity for systemic protection against infections,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 650, pp. 363–366, 1992.
- R. M. Loria, D. A. Padgett, and P. N. Huynh, “Regulation of the immune response by dehydroepiandrosterone and its metabolites,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 150, pp. S209–S220, 1996.
- R. M. Loria, “Antiglucocorticoid function of androstenetriol,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 22, supplement 1, pp. S103–S108, 1997.
- D. A. Padgett, R. M. Loria, and J. F. Sheridan, “Endocrine regulation of the immune response to influenza virus infection with a metabolite of DHEA-androstenediol,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 78, no. 1-2, pp. 203–211, 1997.
- F. Svec and J. R. Porter, “The actions of exogenous dehydroepiandrosterone in experimental animals and humans,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 218, no. 3, pp. 174–191, 1998.
- C. D. Santos, M. P. A. Toldo, F. H. Santello, M. D. V. Filipin, V. Brazão, and J. C. do Prado Júnior, “Dehydroepiandrosterone increases resistance to experimental infection by Trypanosoma cruzi,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 153, pp. 238–243, 2008.
- V. R. Feeser, N. B. Menke, K. R. Ward, R. M. Loria, and R. F. Diegelmann, “Androstenediol reverses steroid-inhibited wound healing: biomedical hypothesis article,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 758–761, 2009.
- P. Huynh and R. Loria, “Contrasting effects of alpha- and beta-androstenediol on oncogenic myeloid cell lines in vitro,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 258–2267, 1997.
- M. R. Graf, W. Jia, and R. M. Loria, “The neuro-steroid, 3β androstene 17α diol exhibits potent cytotoxic effects on human malignant glioma and lymphoma cells through different programmed cell death pathways,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 619–627, 2007.
- M. R. Graf, W. Jia, M. L. Lewbart, and R. M. Loria, “The anti-tumor effects of androstene steroids exhibit a strict structure-activity relationship dependent upon the orientation of the hydroxyl group on carbon-17,” Chemical Biology and Drug Design, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 625–629, 2009.
- H. Miyamoto, S. Yeh, H. Lardy, E. Messing, and C. Chang, “δ5-Androstenediol is a natural hormone with androgenic activity in human prostate cancer cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 19, pp. 11083–11088, 1998.
- R. Hackenberg, I. Turgetto, A. Filmer, and K. D. Schulz, “Estrogen and androgen receptor mediated stimulation and inhibition of proliferation by androst-5-ene-3β,17β-diol in human mammary cancer cells,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 597–603, 1993.
- C. C. Head, M. J. Farrow, J. F. Sheridan, and D. A. Padgett, “Androstenediol reduces the anti-inflammatory effects of restraint stress during wound healing,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 590–596, 2006.
- P. Marwah, A. Marwah, H. A. Lardy, H. Miyamoto, and C. Chang, “C19-Steroids as androgen receptor modulators: design, discovery, and structure-activity relationship of new steroidal androgen receptor antagonists,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 17, pp. 5933–5947, 2006.
- J. T. Arnold, X. Liu, J. D. Allen, H. Le, K. K. McFann, and M. R. Blackman, “Androgen receptor or estrogen receptor-β blockade alters DHEA-, DHT-, and E2-induced proliferation and PSA production in human prostate cancer cells,” Prostate, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 1152–1162, 2007.
- K. Saijo, J. G. Collier, A. C. Li, J. A. Katzenellenbogen, and C. K. Glass, “An ADIOL-ERβ-CtBP transrepression pathway negatively regulates microglia-mediated inflammation,” Cell, vol. 145, no. 4, pp. 584–595, 2011.
- D. A. Padgett and R. M. Loria, “In vitro potentiation of lymphocyte activation by dehydroepiandrosterone, androstenediol, and androstenetriol,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 153, no. 4, pp. 1544–1552, 1994.
- R. M. Loria and D. A. Padgett, “Androstenediol regulates systemic resistance against lethal infections in mice,” Archives of Virology, vol. 127, no. 1–4, pp. 103–115, 1992.
- F. Chen, K. Knecht, E. Birzin et al., “Direct agonist/antagonist functions of dehydroepiandrosterone,” Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 11, pp. 4568–4576, 2005.
- M. E. Baker, “Co-evolution of steroidogenic and steroid-inactivating enzymes and adrenal and sex steroid receptors,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 55–62, 2004.
- R. M. Loria and M. R. Graf, “17α-androstenediol-mediated oncophagy of tumor cells by different mechanisms is determined by the target tumor,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1262, no. 1, pp. 127–133, 2012.
- C. Honer, K. Nam, C. Fink et al., “Glucocorticoid receptor antagonism by cyproterone acetate and RU486,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1012–1020, 2003.
- K. Matsumoto, H. Yamasaki, S. Akazawa et al., “High-dose but not low-dose dexamethasone impairs glucose tolerance by inducing compensatory failure of pancreatic β-cells in normal men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 2621–2626, 1996.
- P. N. Huynh, W. H. Carter, and R. M. Loria, “17 Alpha androstenediol inhibition of breast tumor cell proliferation in estrogen receptor-positive and -negative cell lines,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 435–444, 2000.
- R. Loria, M. Graf, W. Jia, and T. Powell, “5-androstene 3β,17α diol induces autophagic cell death of human breast cancer cells and enhances radiation cytotoxicity,” Journal of Cancer Therapeutics and Research, vol. 1, no. 1, 25 pages, 2012.