- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 160129, 6 pages
The Effect of Bulk Density on Emission Behavior of Soil at Microwave Frequencies
Microwave Research Laboratory, Department of Physics, Raj Rishi Autonomous Government P.G. College, Alwar, Rajasthan 301001, India
Received 30 April 2011; Revised 18 October 2011; Accepted 1 December 2011
Academic Editor: Jean Pierre Wigneron
Copyright © 2011 V. K. Gupta and R. A. Jangid. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Malicki, R. Plagge, and C. H. Roth, “Improving the calibration of dielectric TDR soil moisture determination taking into account the solid soil,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 357–366, 1996.
- C. H. Roth, M. A. Malicki, and R. Plagge, “Empirical evaluation of the relationship between soil dielectric constant and volumetric water content as the basis for calibrating soil moisture measurements by TDR,” Journal of Soil Science, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1992.
- M. C. Dobson, F. T. Ulaby, M. A. El-Rayes, and M. T. Hallikainen, “Microwave dielectric behavior of wet soil—part II: dielectric mixing models,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. GE-23, no. 1, pp. 35–46, 1985.
- N. R. Peplinski, F. T. Ulaby, and M. C. Dobson, “Dielectric properties of soils in the 0.3–1.3-GHz range,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 803–807, 1995.
- M. T. Hallikainen, F. T. Ulaby, M. C. Dobson, and M. A. El-Rayes, “Microwave dielectric behavior of wet soil—part I: empirical models and experimental observations,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. GE-23, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1985.
- P. Hoekstra and A. Delaney, “Dielectric properties of soils at UHF and microwave frequencies,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 79, pp. 1699–1708, 1974.
- J. R. Wang and T. J. Schmugge, “An empirical model for the complex dielectric permittivity of soils as a function of water content,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. GE-18, no. 4, pp. 288–295, 1980.
- J. P. Wigneron, J. C. Calvet, T. Pellarin, A. A. Van de Griend, M. Berger, and P. Ferrazzoli, “Retrieving near-surface soil moisture from microwave radiometric observations: current status and future plans,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 489–506, 2003.
- N. Baghdadi, O. Cerdan, M. Zribi et al., “Operational performance of current synthetic aperture radar sensors in mapping soil surface characteristics in agricultural environments: application to hydrological and erosion modelling,” Hydrological Processes, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 2008.
- J. Álvarez-Mozos, J. Casalí, M. González-Audícana, and N. E. C. Verhoest, “Assessment of the operational applicability of RADARSAT-1 data for surface soil moisture estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 913–923, 2006.
- J. Behari, Microwave Dielectric Behaviour of Wet Soils, Anamaya Publishers, New-Delhi, India, 2005.
- F. T. Ulaby, R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing Active and Passive, vol. 3, Artech House, Boston, Mass, USA, 1986.
- W. Peake, “Interaction of electromagnetic waves with some natural surfaces,” IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 7, pp. 2582–2590, 1959.
- F. T. Ulaby, R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, vol. 2, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1982.
- M. Nolan and D. R. Fatland, “Penetration depth as a DInSAR observable and proxy for soil moisture,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 532–537, 2003.
- T. Schmugge, P. Gloersen, T. Wilheit, and F. Geiger, “Remote sensing of soil moisture with microwave radiometers,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 317–323, 1974.
- T. J. Schmugge, T. J. Jackson, A. D. Nicks, G. A. Coleman, and E. T. Engman, “Soil moisture updating and microwave remotesensing for hydrological simulation,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Hydrological Forecasting, Oxford, UK, 1980.
- B. J. Choudhury, T. J. Schmugge, R. W. Newton, and A. Chang, “Effect of surface roughness on the microwave emission from soils,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 5699–5706, 1979.
- J. P. Wigneron, A. Chanzy, Y. H. Kerr et al., “Evaluating an improved parameterization of the soil emission in L-MEB,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1177–1189, 2008.
- M. Saucher and J. Fox, Handbook of Microwave Measurements, vol. 2, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 503.
- O. P. N. Calla, S. Agarwal, S. K. Agarwalla, R. Bhattacharjee, and A. Kalita, “Comparative study of the methods of measurement of dielectric constant at microwave frequencies for dry and wet soil,” Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 108–113, 2003.
- D. H. Gadani and A. D Vyas, “Measutment of complex dielectric constant of soil of Gujrat at X and C band microwave frequencies,” Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, vol. 37, pp. 221–229, 2008.
- A. Von Hippel, Dielectrics and Waves, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1954.
- P. Debye, Polar Molecules, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 1929.
- L. A. Klein and C. T. Swift, “An improved model for the dielectric constant of sea water at microwave frequencies,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 104–111, 1977.
- Stogryn A, “Equations for calculating the dielectric constant of saline water,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 733–736, 1971.
- J. A. Kong, Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1990.
- O. P. N. Calla, A. Baruah, B. Das, K. P. Mishra, M. Kalita, and S. S. Haque, “Emission and scattering behaviour of dry soils from northeast India,” Indian Journal of Radio and Space Physics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 321–328, 2004.