- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 312618, 6 pages
Performance and Trends in Millimetre-Wave CMOS Oscillators for Emerging Wireless Applications
1Tyndall National Institute, Lee Maltings, Dyke Parade, Cork, Ireland
2Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Received 14 December 2012; Accepted 19 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ramesh Pokharel
Copyright © 2013 Marius Voicu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Pepe and D. Zito, “System-level simulations investigating the system-on-chip implementation of 60-GHz transceivers for wireless uncompressed HD video,” in Applications of MATLAB in Science and Engineering, pp. 181–196, InTech Publisher, 2011.
- M. Schneider, “Automotive radar—status and trends,” in Proceedings of the German Microwave Conference (GeMiC '05), Ulm, Germany, April 2005.
- L. O. Mereni, D. Pepe, F. Alimenti, and D. Zito, “Feasibility and challenges of a 95-GHz SoC radiometer for W-band passive imaging,” in Proceedings of the IET Irish Signals and Systems Conference, pp. 28–29, Maynooth, Ireland, June 2012.
- J. J. Rael and A. A. Abidi, “Physical processes of phase noise in differential LC oscillators,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC '00), pp. 569–572, May 2000.
- A. A. Abidi, “Phase noise and jitter in CMOS ring oscillators,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1803–1816, 2006.
- J. S. Syu, H. L. Lu, and C. Meng, “A 0.6 V 30 GHz CMOS quadrature VCO using microwave 1 : 1 : 1 trifilar transformer,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 22, no. 2, 2012.
- L. Li, P. Reynaert, and M. Steyaert, “A colpitts LC VCO with Miller-capacitance gm enhancing and phase noise reduction techniques,” in Proceedings of the 37th European Solid-State Circuits Conference, (ESSCIRC '11), pp. 491–494, Helsinki, Finland.
- S. Shekhar, J. S. Walling, S. Aniruddhan, and D. J. Allstot, “CMOS VCO and LNA using tuned-input tuned-output circuits,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1177–1186, 2008.
- C. Cao, E. Seok, and K. O. Kenneth, “Millimeter-wave CMOS voltage-controlled oscillators,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, (RWS '07), pp. 185–188, Long Beach, Calif, USA, January 2007.
- S. Rong and H. C. Luong, “Design and analysis of varactor-less interpolative-phase-tuning millimeter-wave LC oscillators with multiphase outputs,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1810–1819, 2011.
- O. Momeni and E. Afshari, “High power terahertz and millimeter-wave oscillator design: a systematic approach,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 583–597, 2011.
- R. Spence, Linear Active Networks, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- J. O. Plouchart, J. Kim, N. Zamdmer et al., “A 31 GHz CML ring VCO with 5.4 ps delay in a 0.12-/spl mu/m SOI CMOS technology,” in Proceedings of the 29th European Solid-State Circuits Conference, (ESSCIRC '03), pp. 357–3360, Estoril, Portugal, September 2003.
- A. P. Van der Wel, S. L. J. Gierkink, R. C. Frye, V. Boccuzzi, and B. Nauta, “A robust 43-GHz VCO in CMOS for OC-768 SONET applications,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1159–1163, 2004.
- H. M. Wang, “A 50 GHz VCO in 0.25 μm CMOS,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC '01), pp. 372–3373, San Francisco, Calif, USA, February 2001.
- H.-K. Chen, H. J. Chen, D. C. Chang, Y. Z. Juang, and S. S. Lu, “A 0.6 V, 4.32 mW, 68 GHz low phase-noise VCO with intrinsic-tuned technique in 0.13 μm CMOS,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 467–469, 2008.
- D. Huang, W. Hant, N. Y. Wang et al., “A 60GHz CMOS VCO using on-chip resonator with embedded artificial dielectric for size, loss and noise reduction,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, (ISSCC '06), pp. 1218–1227, San Francisco, Calif, USA, February 2006.
- L. Li, P. Raynaert, and M. Steyaert, “A low power mm-wave oscillator using power matching techniques,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC '09), pp. 469–472, Boston, Mass, USA, 2009.
- C. Cao and O. K. Kenneth, “A 90-GHz voltage-controlled oscillator with a 2.2-GHz tuning range in a 130-nm CMOS technology,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on VLSI Circuits, pp. 242–2243, Kyoto, Japan, June 2005.
- C. C. Chen, C. C. Li, Bo-Jr Huang, K. Y. Lin, H. W. Tsao, and H. Wang, “Ring-based triple-push VCO with wide continous tuning ranges,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 2173–2183, 2009.
- P. C. Huang, R. C. Liu, H. Y. Chang et al., “A 131-GHz push-push VCO in 90-nm CMOS technology,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC '05), pp. 613–616, June 2005.
- P.-C. Huang, M. D. Tsai, G. D. Vendelin, H. Wang, C. H. Chen, and C. S. Chang, “A low-power 114-GHz push-push CMOS VCO using LC source degeneration,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1230–1239, 2007.
- C. W. Tsou, C. C. Chen, and Y. S. Lin, “A 57-GHz CMOS VCO with 185.3% tuning-range enhancement using tunable LC source-degeneration,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on VLSI Design, Automation and Test, (VLSI-DAT '09), pp. 146–149, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 2009.
- Z.-M. Tsai, C.-S. Lin, C. F. Huang, J. G. J. Chern, and H. Wang, “A fundamental 90-GHz CMOS VCO using new ring-coupled quad,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 226–228, 2007.