- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Nephrology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 508956, 7 pages
Duplex Ultrasound Evaluation of Hemodialysis Access: A Detailed Protocol
1Division of Vascular Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
2The Zena and Michael A. Wiener Cardiovascular Institute, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
Received 17 January 2012; Revised 4 April 2012; Accepted 19 June 2012
Academic Editor: Franca Anglani
Copyright © 2012 Victoria Teodorescu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- NKF-DOQI, “NKF-DOQI clinical practice guidelines for vascular access,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 30, no. 4, supplement, pp. S150–S191, 1997.
- KDOQI, “Clinical practice guidelines for vascular access,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 48, supplement 1, pp. S176–S247, 2006.
- M. B. Silva Jr., R. W. Hobson II, P. J. Pappas et al., “A strategy for increasing use of autogenous hemodialysis access procedures: impact of preoperative noninvasive evaluation,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 302–308, 1998.
- M. Ferring, J. Henderson, A. Wilmink, and S. Smith, “Vascular ultrasound for the pre-operative evaluation prior to arteriovenous fistula formation for haemodialysis: review of the evidence,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1809–1815, 2008.
- M. Ferring, M. Claridge, S. A. Smith, and T. Wilmink, “Routine preoperative vascular ultrasound improves patency and use of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a randomized trial,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2236–2244, 2010.
- L. Kumbar and J. Karim, “Besarab; Surveillance and monitoring of dialysis access,” International Journal of Nephrology, vol. 2012, Article ID 649735, 9 pages, 2012.
- W. D. Paulson, L. Moist, and C. E. Lok, “Vascular access surveillance: an ongoing controversy,” Kidney International, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 132–142, 2012.
- B. S. Strauch, R. S. O'Connell, K. L. Geoly, M. Grundlehner, Y. N. Yakub, and D. P. Tietjen, “Forecasting thrombosis of vascular access with Doppler color flow imaging,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 554–557, 1992.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Empire Medical Local Coverage Determination, August 2010, http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MCD/.
- A. Schanzer, L. L. Nguyen, C. D. Owens, and H. Schanzer, “Use of digital pressure measurements for the diagnosis of AV access-induced hand ischemia,” Vascular Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 227–231, 2006.
- T. Kohler and B. Mraz, Strandness’s Duplex Scanning in Vascular Disorders, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2010.
- E. Y. L. Lui, A. H. Steinman, R. S. C. Cobbold, and K. W. Johnston, “Human factors as a source of error in peak Doppler velocity measurement,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 972.e1–972.e10, 2005.
- K. Hoyt, F. A. Hester, R. L. Bell, M. E. Lockhart, and M. L. Robbin, “Accuracy of volumetric flow rate measurements: an in vitro study using modern ultrasound scanners,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1511–1518, 2009.
- M. L. Robbin, N. E. Chamberlain, M. E. Lockhart et al., “Hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula maturity: US evaluation,” Radiology, vol. 225, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2002.
- M. A. Needham, “Pre and postoperative ultrasound assessment of dialysis access fistulae,” Vascular Ultrasound Today, vol. 12, pp. 57–76, 2007.