- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 146396, 12 pages
Plasmonic Bandgaps in 1D Arrays of Slits on Metal Layers Excited by Out-of-Plane Sources
Dipartimento di Elettrotecnica ed Elettronica, Politecnico di Bari, Via E. Orabona 4, 70125 Bari, Italy
Received 28 March 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Zhaolin Lu
Copyright © 2012 Roberto Marani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Ameling, L. Langguth, M. Hentschel, M. Mesch, P. V. Braun, and H. Giessen, “Cavity-enhanced localized plasmon resonance sensing,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, no. 25, Article ID 253116, 2010.
- Y. T. Chang, Y. C. Lai, C. T. Li, C. K. Chen, and T. J. Yen, “A multi-functional plasmonic biosensor,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 9561–9569, 2010.
- M. Grande, R. Marani, F. Portincasa et al., “Asymmetric plasmonic grating for optical sensing of thin layers of organic materials,” Sensors and Actuators, B, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 1056–1062, 2011.
- M. Grande, M. A. Vincenti, T. Stomeo et al., “Experimental demonstration of a novel bio-sensing platform via plasmonic band gap formation in gold nano-patch arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 21385–21395, 2011.
- M. Grande, M. A. Vincenti, T. Stomeo et al., “Two-dimensional plasmonic nano-structures for linear and nonlinear regimes,” in Proceedings of the Micro- and nano-photonic materials and devices (MINAP '12), pp. 73–76, Trento, Italy, January 2012.
- J. Bravo-Abad, F. J. García-Vidal, and L. Martín-Moreno, “Wavelength de-multiplexing properties of a single aperture flanked by periodic arrays of indentations,” Photonics and Nanostructures—Fundamentals and Applications, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 2003.
- R. Marani, V. Marrocco, M. Grande, G. Morea, A. D'Orazio, and V. Petruzzelli, “Enhancement of extraordinary optical transmission in a double heterostructure plasmonic bandgap cavity,” Plasmonics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 469–476, 2011.
- D. J. Bergman and M. I. Stockman, “Surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation: quantum generation of coherent surface plasmons in nanosystems,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 2, Article ID 027402, 4 pages, 2003.
- M. A. Noginov, G. Zhu, A. M. Belgrave et al., “Demonstration of a spaser-based nanolaser,” Nature, vol. 460, no. 7259, pp. 1110–1112, 2009.
- R. Marani, A. D'Orazio, V. Petruzzelli et al., “Gain-assisted extraordinary optical transmission through periodic arrays of subwavelength apertures,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 14, Article ID 013020, 2012.
- K. R. Catchpole and A. Polman, “Plasmonic solar cells,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 21793–21800, 2008.
- M. Losurdo, M. M. Giangregorio, G. V. Bianco, A. Sacchetti, P. Capezzuto, and G. Bruno, “Enhanced absorption in Au nanoparticles/a-Si:H/c-Si heterojunction solar cells exploiting Au surface plasmon resonance,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 1749–1754, 2009.
- V. Marrocco, R. Marani, M. Grande et al., “Modification of the scattering of silver nanoparticles induced by Fabry-Pérot resonances rising from a finite Si layer,” Journal of Optics, vol. 13, no. 1, Article ID 015004, 2011.
- D. Dregely, R. Taubert, J. Dorfmüller, R. Vogelgesang, K. Kern, and H. Giessen, “3D optical Yagi-Uda nanoantenna array,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, article 267, 2011.
- T. Dattoma, M. Grande, R. Marani, G. Morea, V. Marrocco, and A. D'Orazio, “Resonancewavelength dependence and mode formation in gold nanorod optical antennas with finite thickness,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, no. 30, pp. 337–353, 2011.
- T. W. Ebbesen, H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelenght hole arrays,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6668, pp. 667–669, 1998.
- J. A. Porto, F. J. García-Vidal, and J. B. Pendry, “Transmission resonances on metallic gratings with very narrow slits,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 14, pp. 2845–2848, 1999.
- D. F. P. Pile, T. Ogawa, D. K. Gramotnev et al., “Two-dimensionally localized modes of a nanoscale gap plasmon waveguide,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 26, Article ID 261114, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- D. De Ceglia, M. A. Vincenti, M. Scalora, N. Akozbek, and M. J. Bloemer, “Plasmonic band edge effects on the transmission properties of metal gratings,” AIP Advances, vol. 1, no. 3, Article ID 032151, 2011.
- R. Marani, M. Grande, V. Marrocco et al., “Plasmonic bandgap formation in two-dimensional periodic arrangements of gold patches with subwavelength gaps,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 903–905, 2011.
- COMSOL Multiphysics, http://www.comsol.com.
- E. D. Palik, Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1998.
- J. M. McMahon, J. Henzie, T. W. Odom, G. C. Schatz, and S. K. Gray, “Tailoring the sensing capabilities of nanohole arrays in gold films with Rayleigh anomaly-surface plasmon polaritons,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 26, pp. 18119–18129, 2007.
- Y. S. Jung, J. Wuenschell, H. K. Kim, P. Kaur, and D. H. Waldeck, “Blue-shift of surface plasmon resonance in a metal nanoslit array structure,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 16081–16091, 2009.
- H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, Springer, Berlin, Germnay, 1986.
- K. Sakoda, Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- J. D. Joannopoulos, S. G. Johnson, J. N. Winn, and R. D. Meade, Photonic Crystals—Molding the Flow of, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2008.
- S. I. Bozhevolnyi, J. Erland, K. Leosson, P. M. W. Skovgaard, and J. M. Hvan, “Waveguiding in surface plasmon polariton band gap structures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 86, no. 14, pp. 3008–3011, 2001.