- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 173250, 8 pages
Nonlinear Coherent Directional Coupler: Coupled Mode Theory and BPM Simulation
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Asansol Engineering College, Asansol, West Bengal 713305, India
Received 7 October 2011; Revised 16 December 2011; Accepted 27 December 2011
Academic Editor: Vittorio M. N. Passaro
Copyright © 2012 Dharmadas Kumbhakar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Yevick and B. Hermansson, “New formulations of the matrix beam propagation method: application to rib waveguides,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 221–229, 1989.
- W. Huang, C. Xu, S. T. Chu, and S. K. Chaudhuri, “The finite-difference vector beam propagation method: analysis and assessment,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 295–305, 1992.
- K. Saitoh and M. Koshiba, “Full-vectorial imaginary-distance beam propagation method based on a finite element scheme: application to photonic crystal fibers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 927–933, 2002.
- W. P. Huang, C. L. Xu, W. Lui, and K. Yokoyama, “The perfectly matched layer boundary condition for modal analysis of optical waveguides: leaky mode calculations,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 652–654, 1996.
- W. P. Huang, C. L. Xu, and S. K. Chaudhuri, “Application of the finite-difference vector beam propagation method to directional coupler devices,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1527–1532, 1992.
- G. P. Agrawal, Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2001.
- P. S. Weitzman and U. Osterberg, “Modified beam propagation method to model second harmonic generation in optical fibers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1437–1443, 1993.
- J. Yamauchi, K. Ose, J. Shibayama, and H. Nakano, “Leakage loss and phase variation of a buried directional coupler on a silicon substrate,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 1873–1875, 2006.
- S. M. Jensen, “The nonlinear coherent coupler,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1580–1583, 1982.
- M. Romagnoli, S. Trillo, and S. Wabnitz, “Soliton switching in nonlinear couplers,” Optical and Quantum Electronics, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. S1237–S1267, 1992.
- S. Trillo and S. Wabnitz, “Anisotropic and Nonlinear Optical Waveguides,” C. S. Someda and G. Stegeman, Eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1992.
- S. Wabnitz, E. M. Wright, C. T. Seaton, and G. I. Stegeman, “Instabilities and all-optical phase-controlled switching in a nonlinear directional coherent coupler,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 49, no. 14, pp. 838–840, 1986.
- A. T. Pham and L. N. Binh, “All-optical modulation and switching using a nonlinear-optical directional coupler,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 8, pp. 1914–1931, 1991.
- X. J. Meng and N. Okamoto, “Improved coupled-mode theory for nonlinear directional couplers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1175–1181, 1991.
- I. M. Uzunov, R. Muschall, M. Gölles, Y. S. Kivshar, B. A. Malomed, and F. Lederer, “Pulse switching in nonlinear fiber directional couplers,” Physical Review E, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 2527–2537, 1995.
- A. W. Snyder, D. J. Mitchell, L. Poladian, D. R. Rowland, and Y. Chen, “Physics of nonlinear fiber couplers,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 8, pp. 986–992, 1991.
- A. D. McAulay and X. Xu, “Finite element analysis of optically controlled non-linear directional coupler switches,” Optics and Laser Technology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 251–258, 1994.
- B. M. A. Rahman, T. Wongcharoen, and K. T. V. Grattan, “Finite element analysis of nonsynchronous directional couplers,” Fiber and Integrated Optics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 1994.
- K. Yasumoto, H. Maeda, and K. Nakamura, “Beam-propagation method analysis of a three-waveguide nonlinear directional coupler,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 319–323, 1995.
- Y. Chung and N. Dagli, “Analysis of Z-invariant and Z-variant semiconductor rib waveguides by explicit finite difference beam propagation method with nonuniform mesh configuration,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2296–2305, 1991.
- H. F. Chou, C. F. Lin, and G. C. Wang, “An iterative finite difference beam propagation method for modeling second-order nonlinear effects in optical waveguides,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1686–1693, 1998.
- P. R. Berger, P. K. Bhattacharya, and S. Gupta, “A waveguide directional coupler with a nonlinear coupling medium,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 788–795, 1991.
- A. K. Ghatak and K. Thyagrajan, Introduction to Fiber Optics, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- S. Juengling and J. C. Chen, “Study and optimization of the eigenmode calculations using the imaginary-distance beam-propagation method,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2098–2105, 1994.