- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 258013, 12 pages
Subwavelength Plasmonic Waveguides and Plasmonic Materials
Microsystems Engineering, Kate Gleason College of Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
Received 29 March 2012; Accepted 8 June 2012
Academic Editor: Xiaoyue Huang
Copyright © 2012 Ruoxi Yang and Zhaolin Lu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. N. Economou, “Surface plasmons in thin films,” Physical Review, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 539–554, 1969.
- R. H. Ritchie, “Surface plasmons in solids,” Surface Science, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 1973.
- M. I. Stockman, “Nanoplasmonics: past, present, and glimpse into future,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 22029–22106, 2011.
- K. S. Kim, “On the evolution of PON-based FTTH solutions,” Information Sciences, vol. 149, no. 1–3, pp. 21–30, 2003.
- M. Rothschild, “A roadmap for optical lithography,” Optics and Photonics News, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 26–31, 2010.
- J. Eid, A. Fehr, J. Gray et al., “Real-time DNA sequencing from single polymerase molecules,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5910, pp. 133–138, 2009.
- W. A. Challener, C. Peng, A. V. Itagi et al., “Heat-assisted magnetic recording by a near-field transducer with efficient optical energy transfer,” Nature Photonics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 220–224, 2009.
- M. L. Brongersma and P. G. Kik, Surface Plasmon Nanophotonics, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2007.
- T. W. Ebbesen, H. J. Lezec, H. F. Ghaemi, T. Thio, and P. A. Wolff, “Extraordinary optical transmission through sub-wavelenght hole arrays,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6668, pp. 667–669, 1998.
- C. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- B. E. A. Salen and M. C. Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- M. A. Ordal, R. J. Bell, J. Alexander, L. L. Long, and M. R. Querry, “Optical properties of fourteen metals in the infrared and far infrared: Al, Co, Cu, Au, Fe, Pb, Mo, Ni, Pd, Pt, Ag, Ti, V, and W,” Applied Optics, vol. 24, no. 24, pp. 4493–4499, 1985.
- E. D. Palik, Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1985.
- J. D. Joannopoulos, S. G. Johnson, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 2008.
- N. Engheta and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley, 2006.
- S. A. Maier, Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- R. Gordon, “Light in a subwavelength slit in a metal: propagation and reflection,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 15, Article ID 153405, 2006.
- J. A. Dionne, L. A. Sweatlock, H. A. Atwater, and A. Polman, “Plasmon slot waveguides: towards chip-scale propagation with subwavelength-scale localization,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 3, Article ID 035407, 9 pages, 2006.
- S. I. Bozhevolnyi, V. S. Volkov, E. Devaux, J.-Y. Laluet, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Channel plasmon subwavelength waveguide components including interferometers and ring resonators,” Nature, vol. 440, no. 7083, pp. 508–511, 2006.
- G. Veronis and S. Fan, “Guided subwavelength plasmonic mode supported by a slot in a thin metal film,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 3359–3361, 2005.
- E. Feigenbaum and M. Orenstein, “Modeling of complementary (Void) plasmon waveguiding,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2547–2562, 2007.
- R. Yang, M. A. G. Abushagur, and Z. Lu, “Efficiently squeezing near infrared light into a 21nm-by-24nm nanospot,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 24, pp. 20142–20148, 2008.
- G. Veronis and S. Fan, “Bends and splitters in metal-dielectric-metal subwavelength plasmonic waveguides,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 13, Article ID 131102, 3 pages, 2005.
- Ş. E. Kocabaş, G. Veronis, D. A. B. Miller, and S. Fan, “Modal analysis and coupling in metal-insulator-metal waveguides,” Physical Review B, vol. 79, no. 3, Article ID 035120, 2009.
- R. Charbonneau, C. Scales, I. Breukelaar et al., “Passive integrated optics elements based on long-range surface plasmon polaritons,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 477–494, 2006.
- T. Nikolajsen, K. Leosson, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, “Surface plasmon polariton based modulators and switches operating at telecom wavelengths,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 24, pp. 5833–5835, 2004.
- J. A. Dionne, H. J. Lezec, and H. A. Atwater, “Highly confined photon transport in subwavelength metallic slot waveguides,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1928–1932, 2006.
- L. Chen, J. Shakya, and M. Lipson, “Subwavelength confinement in an integrated metal slot waveguide on silicon,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 2133–2135, 2006.
- J. A. Dionne, K. Diest, L. A. Sweatlock, and H. A. Atwater, “PlasMOStor: a metal-oxide-si field effect plasmonic modulator,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 897–902, 2009.
- W. Cai, J. S. White, and M. L. Brongersma, “Compact, high-speed and power-efficient electrooptic plasmonic modulators,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 4403–4411, 2009.
- M. J. Levene, J. Korlach, S. W. Turner, M. Foquet, H. G. Craighead, and W. W. Webb, “Zero-mode waveguides for single-molecule analysis at high concentrations,” Science, vol. 299, no. 5607, pp. 682–686, 2003.
- H. J. Lezec and T. Thio, “Diffracted evanescent wave model for enhanced and suppressed optical transmission through subwavelength hole arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 16, pp. 3629–3651, 2004.
- T. Thio, “A bright future for subwavelength light sources,” American Scientist, vol. 94, no. 1, p. 40, 2006.
- D. Pacifici, H. J. Lezec, L. A. Sweatlock, R. J. Walters, and H. A. Atwater, “Universal optical transmission features in periodic and quasiperiodic hole arrays,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 9222–9238, 2008.
- R. Merlin, “Radiationless electromagnetic interference: evanescent-field lenses and perfect focusing,” Science, vol. 317, no. 5840, pp. 927–929, 2007.
- F. J. García-Vidal, S. G. Rodrigo, and L. Martín-Moreno, “Foundations of the composite diffracted evanescent wave model,” Nature Physics, vol. 2, no. 790, pp. 262–267, 2006.
- L. Chen, J. T. Robinson, and M. Lipson, “Role of radiation and surface plasmon polaritons in the optical interactions between a nano-slit and a nano-groove on a metal surface,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 12629–12636, 2006.
- D. Pacifici, H. J. Lezec, H. A. Atwater, and J. Weiner, “Quantitative determination of optical transmission through subwavelength slit arrays in Ag films: role of surface wave interference and local coupling between adjacent slits,” Physical Review B, vol. 77, no. 11, Article ID 115411, 2008.
- G. Veronis and S. Fan, “Theoretical investigation of compact couplers between dielectric slab waveguides and two-dimensional metal-dielectric-metal plasmonic waveguides,” Optics Express, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1211–1221, 2007.
- R. A. Wahsheh, Z. Lu, and M. A. G. Abushagur, “Nanoplasmonic couplers and splitters,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 21, pp. 19033–19040, 2009.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 2005.
- A. Sommerfeld, “Propagation of waves in wireless telegraphy,” Annals of Physics, vol. 81, pp. 1367–1153, 1926.
- J. B. Pendry, L. Martín-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, “Mimicking surface plasmons with structured surfaces,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5685, pp. 847–848, 2004.
- S. A. Maier, S. R. Andrews, L. Martín-Moreno, and F. J. García-Vidal, “Terahertz surface plasmon-polariton propagation and focusing on periodically corrugated metal wires,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 97, no. 17, Article ID 176805, 4 pages, 2006.
- D. Martin-Cano, M. L. Nesterov, A. I. Fernandez-Dominguez, F. J. Garcia-Vidal, L. Martin-Moreno, and E. Moreno, “Domino plasmons for subwavelength terahertz circuitry,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 754–764, 2010.
- W. Zhao, O. M. Eldaiki, R. Yang, and Z. Lu, “Deep subwavelength waveguiding and focusing based on designer surface plasmons,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 20, pp. 21498–21503, 2010.
- D. J. Bergman, “The dielectric constant of a composite material-a problem in classical physics,” Physics Reports, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 377–407, 1978.
- B. Wood, J. B. Pendry, and D. P. Tsai, “Directed subwavelength imaging using a layered metal-dielectric system,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 11, Article ID 115116, 2006.
- W. Cai, D. A. Genov, and V. M. Shalaev, “Superlens based on metal-dielectric composites,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 19, Article ID 193101, 4 pages, 2005.
- J. Elser, A. A. Govyadinov, I. Avrutsky, I. Salakhutdinov, and V. A. Podolskiy, “Plasmonic nanolayer composites: coupled plasmon polaritons, effective-medium response, and subdiffraction light manipulation,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2007, Article ID 79469, 8 pages, 2007.
- R. Yang, X. Huang, and Z. Lu, “Arbitrary super surface modes bounded by multilayered metametal,” Micromachines, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2012.
- D. R. Lide, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press, 2004.
- MicroChem Corp, March 2012, http://www.microchem.com.
- Photolithography Resist Processes and Capabilities (CNF), March 2012, http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf_process_photo_resists.html.
- R. A. Soref, S.-Y. Cho, W. Buchwald, and R. E. Peale, “Silicon plasmonic waveguides,” in Silicon Photonics for Telecommunications and Biomedical Applications, B. Jalali and S. Fathpour, Eds., Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 2010.
- “PVD 75 Sputter Deposition from Kurt J. Lesker by CNF,” March 2012, http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf5_tool.taf?_function=detail&eq_id=156.
- P. R. West, S. Ishii, G. V. Naik, N. K. Emani, V. M. Shalaev, and A. Boltasseva, “Searching for better plasmonic materials,” Laser & Photonics Reviews, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 795–808, 2010.
- D. R. Andersen, “Graphene-based long-wave infrared TM surface plasmon modulator,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 818–823, 2010.
- F. H. L. Koppens, D. E. Chang, and F. J. Garciía de Abajo, “Graphene plasmonics: a platform for strong Light-Matter interactions,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 3370–3377, 2011.
- J. T. Kim and S.-Y. Choi, “Graphene-based plasmonic waveguides for photonic integrated circuits,” Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 24557–24562, 2011.
- X. Li, Y. Zhu, W. Cai et al., “Transfer of large-area graphene films for high-performance transparent conductive electrodes,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 4359–4363, 2009.
- A. Reina, X. Jia, J. Ho et al., “Large area, few-layer graphene films on arbitrary substrates by chemical vapor deposition,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 30–35, 2009.
- A. N. Sidorov, M. M. Yazdanpanah, R. Jalilian, P. J. Ouseph, R. W. Cohn, and G. U. Sumanasekera, “Electrostatic deposition of graphene,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 13, Article ID 135301, 2007.