- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 575818, 8 pages
New Trends in Amplifiers and Sources via Chalcogenide Photonic Crystal Fibers
1Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica e dell’Informazione (DIEI), Politecnico di Bari, 70125 Bari, Italy
2Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire Carnot de Bourgogne (ICB), UMR 5209 CNRS-Université de Bourgogne, 21078 Dijon, France
Received 19 July 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 27 October 2012
Academic Editor: Dragomir Neshev
Copyright © 2012 L. Mescia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ebrahim-Zadeh and I. T. Sorokina, Mid-Infrared Coherent Sources and Applications, Springer, Barcelona, Spain, 2008.
- I. T. Sorokina and K. L. Vodopyanov, Solid-State Mid-Infrared Laser Sources, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
- X. Zhu and R. Jain, “10-W-level diode-pumped compact 2.78 μm ZBLAN fiber laser,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 26–28, 2007.
- D. Faucher, M. Bernier, G. Androz, N. Caron, and R. Vallée, “20 W passively cooled single-mode all-fiber laser at 2.8 μm,” Optics Letters, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1104–1106, 2011.
- S. D. Jackson, “Midinfrared holmium fiber lasers,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 187–191, 2006.
- S. D. Jackson, “Single-transverse-mode 2.5 W holmium-doped fluoride fiber laser operating at 2.86 μm,” Optics Letters, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 334–336, 2004.
- S. D. Jackson, “High-power and highly efficient diode-claddingpumped holmium-doped fluoride fiber laser operating at 2.94 μm,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 15, pp. 2327–2329, 2009.
- A. Diening, P. E. A. Möbert, E. Heumann, G. Huber, and B. H. T. Chai, “Diode-pumped cw lasing of Yb, Ho : KYF4 in the 3 μm spectral range in comparison to Er : KYF4,” Laser Physics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 214–217, 1998.
- Y. H. Tsang, A. E. El-Taher, T. A. King, and S. D. Jackson, “Efficient 2.96 μm dysprosium-doped fluoride fibre laser pumped with a Nd:YAG laser operating at 1.3 μm,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 678–685, 2006.
- J. Schneider, “Fluoride fibre laser operating at 3.9 μm,” Electronics Letters, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 1250–1251, 1995.
- C. Carbonnier, H. Többen, and U. B. Unrau, “Room temperature CW fibre laser at 3.22 μm,” Electronics Letters, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 893–894, 1998.
- H. Toebben, “CW lasing at 3.45 μm in erbium-doped fluorozirconate fibres,” Frequenz, vol. 45, no. 9-10, pp. 250–252, 1991.
- J. Schneider, C. Carbonnier, and U. B. Unrau, “Characterization of a Ho3+-doped fluoride fiber laser with a 3.9- μm emission wavelength,” Applied Optics, vol. 36, no. 33, pp. 8595–8600, 1997.
- L. B. Shaw, B. Cole, P. A. Thielen, J. S. Sanghera, and I. D. Aggarwal, “Mid-wave IR and long-wave IR laser potential of rare-earth doped chalcogenide glass fiber,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1127–1137, 2001.
- J. S. Sanghera, L. B. Shaw, and I. D. Aggarwal, “Chalcogenide glass-fiber-based mid-IR sources and applications,” IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 114–119, 2009.
- J. Fatome, C. Fortier, T. N. Nguyen, et al., “Linear and nonlinear characterizations of chalcogenide photonic crystal fibers,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 27, pp. 1707–1715, 2009.
- M. El-Amraoui, G. Gadret, J. C. Jules et al., “Microstructured chalcogenide optical fibers from As2S 3 glass: Towards new IR broadband sources,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 25, pp. 26655–26665, 2010.
- A. P. Caricato, M. De Sario, M. Fernández et al., “Pulsed laser deposition of materials for optoelectronic applications,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 197-198, pp. 458–462, 2002.
- L. Brilland, F. Smektala, G. Renversez et al., “Fabrication of complex structures of Holey Fibers in Chalcogenide glass,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1280–1285, 2006.
- T. M. Monro, Y. D. West, D. W. Hewak, N. G. R. Broderick, and D. J. Richardson, “Chalcogenide holey fibres,” Electronics Letters, vol. 36, no. 24, pp. 1998–2000, 2000.
- F. Désévédavy, G. Renversez, L. Brilland et al., “Small-core chalcogenide microstructured fibers for the infrared,” Applied Optics, vol. 47, no. 32, pp. 6014–6021, 2008.
- C. C. Wang, F. Zhang, Y. C. Lu et al., “Single-mode operations in the large flattened mode optical fiber lasers and amplifiers,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 11, no. 6, Article ID 065402, 2009.
- A. Cucinotta, F. Poli, and S. Selleri, “Design of erbium-doped triangular photonic-crystal-fiber-based amplifiers,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2027–2029, 2004.
- F. Désévédavy, G. Renversez, J. Troles et al., “Chalcogenide glass hollow core photonic crystal fibers,” Optical Materials, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1532–1539, 2010.
- M. De Sario, L. Mescia, F. Prudenzano et al., “Feasibility of Er3+-doped, Ga5Ge20Sb10S65 chalcogenide microstructured optical fiber amplifiers,” Optics and Laser Technology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 99–106, 2009.
- F. Prudenzano, L. Mescia, L. Allegretti et al., “Simulation of mid-IR amplification in Er3+-doped chalcogenide microstructured optical fiber,” Optical Materials, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1292–1295, 2009.
- V. Moizan, V. Nazabal, J. Troles et al., “Er3+-doped GeGaSbS glasses for mid-IR fibre laser application: synthesis and rare earth spectroscopy,” Optical Materials, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2008.
- Z. Tahmasebi and M. Hatami, “Study of the gain saturation effect on the propagation of dark soliton in Er3+-doped, Ga5Ge20Sb10S65 chalcogenide fiber amplifier,” Optics Communications, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. 656–659, 2011.
- Z. G. Lian, Q. Q. Li, D. Furniss, T. M. Benson, and A. B. Seddon, “Solid microstructured chalcogenide glass optical fibers for the near- and mid-infrared spectral regions,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 1804–1806, 2009.
- C. Chaudhari, M. Liao, T. Suzuki, and Y. Ohishi, “Chalcogenide core tellurite cladding composite microstructured fiber for nonlinear applications,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 30, no. 13, Article ID 6179495, pp. 2069–2076, 2012.
- S. D. Jackson and G. Anzueto-Sánchez, “Chalcogenide glass Raman fiber laser,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 88, no. 22, Article ID 221106, 2006.
- M. C. Pierce, S. D. Jackson, M. R. Dickinson, and T. A. King, “Laser-tissue interaction with a high-power 2 μm fiber laser: preliminary studies with soft tissue,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 407–413, 1999.
- M. C. Pierce, S. D. Jackson, M. R. Dickinson, T. A. King, and P. Sloan, “Laser-tissue interaction with a continuous wave 3 μm fibre laser: preliminary studies with soft tissue,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 491–495, 2000.
- S. D. Jackson and A. Lauto, “Diode-pumped fiber lasers: a new clinical tool?” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 184–190, 2002.
- S. Popov, “Fiber laser overview and medical applications,” in Tunable Laser Applications, F. J. Duarte, Ed., pp. 197–226, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- F. Prudenzano, L. Mescia, L. Allegretti, V. Moizan, V. Nazabal, and F. Smektala, “Theoretical study of cascade laser in erbium-doped chalcogenide glass fibers,” Optical Materials, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 2010.
- F. Prudenzano, L. Mescia, L. A. Allegretti et al., “Design of Er3+-doped chalcogenide glass laser for MID-IR application,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 355, no. 18-21, pp. 1145–1148, 2009.
- A. B. Seddon, Z. Tang, D. Furniss, S. Sujecki, and T. M. Benson, “Progress in rare-earth-doped mid-infrared fiber lasers,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 25, pp. 26704–26719, 2010.
- R. S. Quimby, L. B. Shaw, J. S. Sanghera, and I. D. Aggarwal, “Modeling of cascade lasing in dy:chalcogenide glass fiber laser with efficient output at 4.5 μm,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 20, pp. 123–125, 2008.
- P. A. Thielen, L. B. Shaw, J. S. Sanghera, and I. D. Aggarwal, “Modeling of a mid-IR chalcogenide fiber Raman laser,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 24, pp. 3248–3253, 2003.
- J. Li, Y. Chen, M. Chen et al., “Theoretical analysis and heat dissipation of mid-infrared chalcogenide fiber Raman laser,” Optics Communications, vol. 284, no. 5, pp. 1278–1283, 2011.
- K. H. Tow, Y. Léguillon, P. Besnard et al., “Relative intensity noise and frequency noise of a compact Brillouin laser made of As38Se62 suspended-core chalcogenide fiber,” Optics Letters, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1157–1159, 2012.
- J. Hu, C. R. Menyuk, L. B. Shaw, J. S. Sanghera, and I. D. Aggarwal, “Computational study of 3–5 μm source created by using supercontinuum generation in As2S3 chalcogenide fibers with a pump at 2 μm,” Optics Letters, vol. 35, no. 17, pp. 2907–2909, 2010.
- J. Fatome, B. Kibler, M. El-Amraoui et al., “Mid-infrared extension of supercontinuum in chalcogenide suspended core fibre through soliton gas pumping,” Electronics Letters, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 398–400, 2011.