- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 603083, 7 pages
Tuning Metamaterials for Applications at DUV Wavelengths
Microsystems Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology, 77 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
Received 9 April 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Xiaoyue Huang
Copyright © 2012 Andrew Estroff and Bruce W. Smith. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Wood, “On a remarkable case of uneven distribution of light in a diffraction grating spectrum,” Philisophical Magazine, vol. 4, pp. 396–402, 1902.
- U. Fano, “The theory of anomalous diffraction gratings and of quasi-stationary waves on metallic surfaces (sommerfeld's waves),” Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 213–222, 1941.
- A. Sommerfeld, “Ueber die fortpflanzung elektrodynamischer wellen längs eines drahtes,” Annalen der Physik, vol. 303, no. 2, pp. 233–290, 1899.
- R. H. Ritchie, “Plasma losses by fast electrons in thin films,” Physical Review, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 874–881, 1957.
- D. Bohm and D. Pines, “A collective description of electron interactions. i. magnetic interactions,” Physical Review, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 625–634, 1951.
- D. Pines and D. Bohm, “A collective description of electron interactions: ii. Collective vs individual particle aspects of the interactions,” Physical Review, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 338–353, 1952.
- D. Bohm and D. Pines, “A collective description of electron interactions: III. Coulomb interactions in a degenerate electron gas,” Physical Review, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 609–625, 1953.
- C. T. Walker, “Who named the -oN's?” American Journal of Physics, vol. 38, p. 1380, 1970.
- E. Kretschmann and H. Raether, “Radiative decay of non radiative surface plasmons excited by light,” Zeitschrift Fur Naturforschung, vol. 23A, pp. 2135–2136, 1968.
- A. Otto, “Excitation of nonradiative surface plasma waves in silver by the method of frustrated total reflection,” Zeitschrift für Physik, vol. 216, no. 4, pp. 398–410, 1968.
- M. L. Brongersma and P. G. Kik, Surface Plasmon Nanophotonics, vol. 131, Springer, 2007.
- J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction makes a perfect lens,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 3966–3969, 2000.
- V. G. Veselago, “The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of epsilon and mu,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 509–514, 1968.
- N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, 2005.
- R. J. Blaikie and D. O. S. Melville, “Imaging through planar silver lenses in the optical near field,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. S176–S183, 2005.
- D. O. S. Melville and R. J. Blaikie, “Super-resolution imaging through a planar silver layer,” Optics Express, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 2127–2134, 2005.
- D. O. S. Melville and R. J. Blaikie, “Analysis and optimization of multilayer silver superlenses for near-field optical lithography,” Physica B, vol. 394, no. 2, pp. 197–202, 2007.
- X. Guo and Q. Dong, “Coupled surface plasmon interference lithography based on a metal-bounded dielectric structure,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 108, no. 11, Article ID 113108, 2010.
- K. V. Sreekanth and V. M. Murukeshan, “Large-area maskless surface plasmon interference for one- and two-dimensional periodic nanoscale feature patterning,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 95–99, 2010.
- A. Passian, A. Wig, A. L. Lereu et al., “Probing large area surface plasmon interference in thin metal films using photon scanning tunneling microscopy,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 100, no. 3-4, pp. 429–436, 2004.
- S. A. Maier, Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, 2007.
- “RIT Nanolithograpy Research Labs > Optical Properties of Thin Films,” http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/microsystems/lithography/thinfilms/thinfilms/thinfilms.html.
- A. Estroff, N. V. Lafferty, P. Xie, B. W. Smith, et al., “Metamaterials for enhancement of DUV lithography,” in Optical Microlithography XXIII, vol. 7640 of Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 76402W–76402W-10, 2010.
- J. B. Pendry, A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, “Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 10, no. 22, pp. 4785–4809, 1998.
- J. B. Pendry, A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, “Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 76, no. 25, pp. 4773–4776, 1996.
- J. B. Pendry, L. Martín-Moreno, and F. J. Garcia-Vidal, “Mimicking surface plasmons with structured surfaces,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5685, pp. 847–848, 2004.
- E. N. Economou, “Surface plasmons in thin films,” Physical Review, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 539–554, 1969.
- K. R. Welford and J. R. Sambles, “Coupled surface plasmons in a symmetric system,” Journal of Modern Optics, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1467–1483, 1988.
- G. J. Kovacs and G. D. Scott, “Optical excitation of surface plasma waves in layered media,” Physical Review B, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1297–1311, 1977.
- G. J. Kovacs and G. D. Scott, “Attenuated total reflection angular spectra of a system of alternating plasma-dielectric layers,” Applied Optics, vol. 17, no. 22, pp. 3627–3635, 1978.
- R. Yang, X. Huang, and Z. Lu, “Arbitrary super surface modes bounded by multilayered metametal,” Micromachines, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2012.
- H. A. Macleod, Thin-Film Optical Filters, CRC Press, 2001.