- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 879392, 6 pages
Deep Subwavelength Power Concentration-Based Hyperbolic Metamaterials
1Microsystems Engineering, Kate Gleason College of Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
2Department of Electrical and Microelectronic Engineering, Kate Gleason College of Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
Received 31 May 2012; Revised 6 August 2012; Accepted 27 August 2012
Academic Editor: Xiaoyue Huang
Copyright © 2012 Amanpreet Kaur et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. G. Veselago, “The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ,” Soviet Physics Uspekhi, vol. 10, pp. 509–514, 1968.
- J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction makes a perfect lens,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 3966–3969, 2000.
- R. A. Shelby, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5514, pp. 77–79, 2001.
- A. A. Houck, J. B. Brock, and I. L. Chuang, “Experimental observations of a left-handed material that obeys Snell's law,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 13, Article ID 137401, 4 pages, 2003.
- X. Zhang and Z. Liu, “Superlenses to overcome the diffraction limit,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 435–441, 2008.
- N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, 2005.
- J. B. Pendry, A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, “Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 76, no. 25, pp. 4773–4776, 1996.
- A. Berrier, M. Mulot, M. Swillo et al., “Negative refraction at infrared wavelengths in a two-dimensional photonic crystal,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 7, Article ID 073902, 4 pages, 2004.
- C. Luo, S. G. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction without negative index in metallic photonic crystals,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 746–754, 2003.
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light, Cambridge University Press, 7th edition, 1999.
- J. O. Dimmock, “Losses in left-handed materials,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 19, pp. 2397–2402, 2003.
- I. A. Larkin and M. I. Stockman, “Imperfect perfect lens,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 339–343, 2005.
- D. R. Smith and D. Schurig, “Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 7, Article ID 077405, 4 pages, 2003.
- D. R. Smith, P. Kolinko, and D. Schurig, “Negative refraction in indefinite media,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1032–1043, 2004.
- M. Cheng and R. Chen, “Large positive and negative lateral shifts from an anisotropic metamaterial slab backed by a metal,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 26, no. 1, Article ID 014101, 2009.
- W. Yan, L. Shen, L. Ran, and J. A. Kong, “Surface modes at the interfaces between isotropic media and indefinite media,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 530–535, 2007.
- L. Zhang, Q. Wang, Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and J. Zhao, “Surface modes of the sandwhich structure containing indefinite metamaterials,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT '10), pp. 1669–1672, May 2010.
- D. R. Smith, D. Schurig, J. J. Mock, P. Kolinko, and P. Rye, “Partial focusing of radiation by a slab of indefinite media,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 13, pp. 2244–2246, 2004.
- R. Wangberg, J. Elser, E. E. Narimanov, and V. A. Podolskiy, “Nonmagnetic nanocomposites for optical and infrared negative-refractive-index media,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 498–505, 2006.
- Z. Jacob, L. V. Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, “Optical hyperlens: far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 18, pp. 8247–8256, 2006.
- B. Wood, J. B. Pendry, and D. P. Tsai, “Directed subwavelength imaging using a layered metal-dielectric system,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 11, Article ID 115116, 8 pages, 2006.
- Y. Liu, G. Bartal, and X. Zhang, “All-angle negative refraction and imaging in a bulk medium made of metallic nanowires in the visible region,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 20, pp. 15439–15448, 2008.
- J. B. Pendry, “Perfect cylindrical lenses,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 755–760, 2003.
- W. Cai, D. A. Genov, and V. M. Shalaev, “Superlens based on metal-dielectric composites,” Physical Review B, vol. 72, no. 19, Article ID 193101, 4 pages, 2005.
- P. A. Belov, R. Marqués, S. I. Maslovski et al., “Strong spatial dispersion in wire media in the very large wavelength limit,” Physical Review B, vol. 67, no. 11, Article ID 113103, 4 pages, 2003.
- J. Elser, R. Wangberg, V. A. Podolskiy, and E. E. Narimanov, “Nanowire metamaterials with extreme optical anisotropy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 89, no. 26, Article ID 261102, 3 pages, 2006.