- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 901970, 10 pages
Diffraction of Light by a Two-Dimensional Lattice of Spheres
1Département de Mathématiques et de Statistique, Université de Moncton, Moncton, NB, Canada E1A 3E9
2Department of Physics, Concordia University, 7141 Sherbrooke West, SP 367.03, Montréal, QC, Canada H4B 1R6
Received 20 March 2012; Revised 29 May 2012; Accepted 30 May 2012
Academic Editor: Vittorio M. N. Passaro
Copyright © 2012 Bernard de Dormale and Vo-Van Truong. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Kreibig and M. Vollmer, Optical Properties of Metal Clusters, Springer Series in Materials Science, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1995.
- C. G. Granqvist and O. Hunderi, “Selective absorption of solar energy in granular metals: the role of particle shape,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 798–800, 1978.
- S. Nonaka, T. Suda, and H. Oda, “Typical characteristics of optical thin film filters with metallic nanoparticles,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 41, pp. 4538–4546, 2002.
- P. Yang, H. Portalès, and M.-P. Pileni, “Ability to discern the splitting between longitudinal and transverse plasmon resonances in Au compared to Ag nanoparticles in close-packed planar arrays,” Physical Review B, vol. 81, no. 20, Article ID 205405, 1 pages, 2010.
- T. Yamaguchi, S. Yoshida, and A. Kinbara, “Effect of the dipole interaction between island particles on the optical properties of an aggregated silver film,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 261–264, 1972.
- V. V. Truong and G. D. Scott, “Optical constants of aggregated gold films,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 124–131, 1976.
- C. G. Granqvist and O. Hunderi, “Optical properties of Ag-SiO2 cermet films: a comparison of effective-medium theories,” Physical Review B, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 2897–2906, 1978.
- V. V. Truong and G. D. Scott, “Optical properties of aggregated noble metal films,” Journal of the Optical Society of America, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 502–510, 1977.
- P. A. Bobbert, J. Vlieger, and R. Greef, “Light reflection from a substrate sparsely seeded with spheres—comparison with an ellipsometric experiment,” Physica A, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 243–257, 1986.
- G. Bosi, “Retarded treatment of substrate-related effects on granular films. I. Polarizability of a single sphere,” Physica A, vol. 190, no. 3-4, pp. 375–392, 1992.
- B. T. Draine and P. J. Flatau, “Diserete-dipole approximation for periodic targets: theory and tests,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2693–2703, 2008.
- P. W. Barber and S. C. Hill, Light Scattering by Particles: Computational Methods, World Scientific, Singapore, 1990.
- S. D. Wu and E. N. Glytsis, “Finite-number-of-periods holographic gratings with finite-width incident beams: analysis using the finite-difference frequency-domain method,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2018–2029, 2002.
- B. M. de Dormale, “Interaction of light with a lattice of dipoles: a new approach,” Canadian Journal of Physics, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 43–48, 1996.
- B. M. de Dormale, “Interaction of light with a lattice of dipoles: substrate-related effects,” Canadian Journal of Physics, vol. 74, no. 9-10, pp. 603–607, 1996.
- V. V. Truong and B. de Dormale, “Optical absorption in overcoats of nanoparticle arrays on a metallic substrate,” Plasmonics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 195–200, 2011.
- F. Borghese, P. Denti, G. Toscano, and O. I. Sindoni, “An addition theorem for vector Helmholtz harmonics,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2754–2755, 1980, The notation is used in this reference instead of .
- B. M. de Dormale, “Some new formulas for multipole field calculations,” Canadian Journal of Physics, vol. 74, no. 9-10, pp. 608–613, 1996.
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1975.
- J. Bosi, “Optical response of a thin film of spherical particles on a dielectric substrate: retarded multipolar treatment,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 11, pp. 1073–1083, 1994.
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 6th edition, 1980.
- J. M. Ziman, Principles of The Theory of Solids, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 1972.