- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Optics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 253692, 13 pages
Generation of Bessel Surface Plasmon Polaritons in a Finite-Thickness Metal Film
B.I. Stepanov Institute of Physics of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, 68 Nezavisimosti Avenue, 220072 Minsk, Belarus
Received 9 January 2013; Revised 11 March 2013; Accepted 23 March 2013
Academic Editor: Yu S. Kivshar
Copyright © 2013 S. N. Kurilkina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1988.
- E. N. Economou, “Surface plasmons in thin films,” Physical Review, vol. 182, pp. 539–554, 1969.
- J. J. Burke, G. I. Stegeman, and T. Tamir, “Surface-polariton-like waves guided by thin, lossy metal films,” Physical Review B, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 5186–5201, 1986.
- W. L. Barnes, A. Dereux, and T. W. Ebbesen, “Surface plasmon subwavelength optics,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 824–830, 2003.
- A. V. Zayats, I. I. Smolyaninov, and A. A. Maradudin, “Nano-optics of surface plas-mon polaritons,” Physics Reports, vol. 408, pp. 131–134, 2005.
- J. A. Sánchez-Gil and A. A. Maradudin, “Near-field and far-field scattering of surface plasmon polaritons by one-dimensional surface defects,” Physical Review B, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 8359–8367, 1999.
- J. Durnin, “Exact solutions for nondiffracting beams. I. The scalar theory,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 4, pp. 651–654, 1987.
- J. Durnin, J. J. Muceli, and J. H. Eberly, “Diffraction-free beams,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 58, pp. 1499–1501, 1987.
- P. Sprangle and B. Hafizi, “Comment on nondiffracting beams,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 66, pp. 837–839, 1991.
- Z. Bouchal, J. Wagner, and M. Chlup, “Self-reconstruction of a distorted non-diffracting beam,” Optics Communications, vol. 151, pp. 207–211, 1998.
- Y. Lin, W. Seka, J. H. Eberly, et al., “Experimental investigation of Bessel beam characteristics,” Applied Optics, vol. 31, pp. 2708–2713, 1992.
- D. McGloin and K. Dholakia, “Bessel beams: diffraction in a new light,” Contemporary Physics, vol. 46, pp. 15–28, 2005.
- J. Turunen and A. T. Friberg, “Self-imaging and propagation-invariance in electromagnetic fields,” Pure and Applied Optics, vol. 2, pp. 51–60, 1993.
- R. Horak, Z. Bouchal, and J. Bajer, “Nondiffracting stationary electromagnetic field,” Optics Communications, vol. 133, pp. 315–327, 1997.
- T. A. Fadeyeva, C. N. Alexeyev , P. M. Anischenko, and A. V. Volyar, “Engineering of the space-variant linear polarization of vortex-beams in biaxially induced crystals,” Applied Optics, vol. 51, pp. C224–C230, 2012.
- I. A. Litvin and A. Forbes, “Bessel Gauss resonator with internal amplitude filter,” Optics Communications, vol. 281, pp. 2385–2390, 2008.
- V. N. Belyi, N. S. Kazak, S. N. Kurilkina, and N. A. Khilo, “Generation of TE- and TH-polarized Bessel beams using one-dimensional photonic crystal,” Optics Communications, vol. 282, no. 10, pp. 1998–2008, 2009.
- S. N. Kurilkina, V. N. Belyi, and N. S. Kazak, “Transformation of high-order Bessel vortices in one-dimensional photonic crystals,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 12, no. 1, Article ID 015704, 12 pages, 2010.
- V. Garcés-Chávez, D. McGloin, H. Melville, et al., “Simultaneous micromanipulation in multiple planes using a self-reconstructing light beam,” Nature, vol. 419, pp. 145–147, 2002.
- J. Jerel, T. Cizmar, V. Nedela, and P. Zemanek, “Formation of long and thin polymer fiber using nondiffracting beam,” Optics Express, vol. 14, pp. 8506–8515, 2006.
- M. K. Bhuyan, F. Courvoisier, P. A. Lacourt et al., “High aspect ratio taper-free microchannel fabrication using femtosecond Bessel beams,” Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 566–574, 2010.
- B. Hafizi, E. Esarey, and P. Sprangle, “Laser-driven acceleration with Bessel beams,” Physical Review E, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 3539–3545, 1997.
- S. Rushin and A. Leizer, “Evanescent Bessel beams,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 15, pp. 1139–1143, 1998.
- S. N. Kurilkina, V. N. Belyi, and N. S. Kazak, “Features of evanescent Bessel light beams formed in structures containing a dielectric layer,” Optics Communications, vol. 283, no. 20, pp. 3860–3868, 2010.
- A. M. Goncharenko, N. A. Khilo, and E. S. Petrova, “Evanescent Bessel light beams,” in Lightmetry: Metrology, Spectroscopy, and Testing Techniques Using Light, vol. 4517 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 95–99, 2001.
- Q. Zhan, “Evanescent Bessel beam generation via surface plasmon resonance excitation by a radially polarized beam,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1726–1728, 2006.
- J. Xi, Q. Li, and J. Wang, “Numerical simulation of evanescent Bessel beams and apodization of evanescent field in near-field optical virtual probe,” in Nanophotonics, Nanostructure, and Nanometrology, Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 42–51, 2005.
- A. V. Novitsky and L. M. Barkovsky, “Total internal reflection of vector Bessel beams: imbert–Fedorov shift and intensity transformation,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 10, Article ID 075006, 7 pages, 2008.
- M. K. Al-Muhanna, S. N. Kurilkina, V. N. Belyi, and N. S. Kazak, “Energy flow patterns in an optical field formed by a superposition of evanescent Bessel light beams,” Journal of Optics, vol. 13, no. 10, Article ID 105703, 2011.
- T. Grosjean, D. Courjon, and D. Van Labeke, “Bessel beams as virtual tips for near-field optics,” Journal of Microscopy, vol. 210, no. 3, pp. 319–323, 2003.
- H. Kano, D. Nomura, and H. Shibuya, “Excitation of surface-plasmon polaritons by use of a zeroth-order Bessel beam,” Applied Optics, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 2409–2411, 2004.
- K. J. Moh, X. C. Yuan, J. Bu, S. W. Zhu, and B. Z. Gao, “Radial polarization induced surface plasmon virtual probe for two-photon fluorescence microscopy,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 971–973, 2009.
- C. J. Zapata-Rodriguez, S. Vuković, M. R. Belić, D. Pastor, and J. J. Miret, “Nondiffracting Bessel plasmons,” Optics Express, vol. 19, pp. 19572–19581, 2011.
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1999.
- G. N. Watson, A Threatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1966.
- G. B. Arfken, H. J. Weber, and F. E. Harris, Mathematical Methods for Physicists, Academic Press, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1985.
- A. Papoulis, Circuits and Systems, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- M. Yamamoto, “Surface plasmon resonance. Theory: tutorial,” Review of Polarography, vol. 48, pp. 209–237, 2002.
- V. N. Belyi, N. A. Khilo, N. S. Kazak, A. A. Ryzhevich, and A. Forbes, “Propagation of high-order circularly polarized Bessel beams and vortex generation in uniaxial crystals,” Optical Engineering, vol. 50, Article ID 059001, 9 pages, 2011.