- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Oceanography
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 465810, 9 pages
Long-Term Variability and Trends in the Caribbean Sea
1Department of Physics, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, Mayagüez 00681, Puerto Rico
2University of Zululand, KwaDlangezwa 3886, South Africa
Received 30 September 2010; Revised 22 December 2010; Accepted 8 January 2011
Academic Editor: William Hsieh
Copyright © 2011 Mark R. Jury. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. R. Jury and A. Winter, “Warming of an elevated layer over the Caribbean,” Climatic Change, pp. 1–13, 2009.
- IPCC, “Physical Science Basis, 4th Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,” Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 996 pages, 2007.
- C. M. Domingues, J. A. Church, N. J. White et al., “Improved estimates of upper-ocean warming and multi-decadal sea-level rise,” Nature, vol. 453, no. 7198, pp. 1090–1093, 2008.
- J. Nyberg, B. A. Malmgren, A. Winter, M. R. Jury, K. H. Kilbourne, and T. M. Quinn, “Low Atlantic hurricane activity in the 1970s and 1980s compared to the past 270 years,” Nature, vol. 447, no. 7145, pp. 698–701, 2007.
- S. J. Murphy, H. E. Hurlburt, and J. J. O'Brien, “The connectivity of eddy variability in the Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic Ocean,” Journal of Geophysical Research C, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 1431–1453, 1999.
- C. A. Andrade and E. D. Barton, “Eddy development and motion in the Caribbean Sea,” Journal of Geophysical Research C, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 26191–26201, 2000.
- W. E. Johns, T. L. Townsend, D. M. Fratantoni, and W. D. Wilson, “On the Atlantic inflow to the Caribbean Sea,” Deep-Sea Research I, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 211–243, 2002.
- J. Gyory, A. J. Mariano, and E. H. Ryan, “‘The Caribbean Current’ Ocean Surface Currents,” 2005, http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/caribbean/caribbean.html.
- R. L. Molinari, M. Spillane, I. Brooks, D. Atwood, and C. Duckett, “Surface current in the Caribbean Sea as deduced from Lagrangian observations,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 86, pp. 6537–6542, 1981.
- T. H. Kinder, G. W. Heburn, and A. W. Green, “Some aspects of the Caribbean circulation,” Marine Geology, vol. 68, no. 1–4, pp. 25–52, 1985.
- D. M. Fratantoni, “North Atlantic surface circulation during the 1990's observed with satellite-tracked drifters,” Journal of Geophysical Research C, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 22067–22093, 2001.
- D. Roemmich, “Circulation in the Caribbean Sea: a resolved inverse problem,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 86, pp. 7993–8005, 1981.
- A. Hernandez-Guerra and T. M. Joyce, “Water masses and circulation in the surface layers of the Caribbean at 66°W,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 21, pp. 3497–3500, 2000.
- J. T. Gunn and D. R. Watts, “On the currents and water masses north of the Antilles/Bahamas Arc,” Journal of Marine Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–48, 1982.
- T. N. Lee, W. E. Johns, R. J. Zantopp, and E. R. Fillenbaum, “Moored observations of western boundary current variability and thermohaline circulation at 26.5°N in the subtropical North Atlantic,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 962–983, 1996.
- W. J. Schmitz and P. L. Richardson, “On the sources of the Florida current,” Deep-Sea Research, vol. 38, pp. 379–409, 1991.
- W. D. Wilson and W. E. Johns, “Velocity structure and transport in the Windward Islands passages,” Deep-Sea Research I, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 487–520, 1997.
- R. C. Wajsowicz, “A modified sverdrup model of the Atlantic and Carribbean circulation,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 973–993, 2002.
- A. Alvera-Azcárate, A. Barth, and R. H. Weisberg, “The surface circulation of the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico as inferred from satellite altimetry,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 640–657, 2009.
- T. M. Smith, R. W. Reynolds, T. C. Peterson, and J. Lawrimore, “Improvements to NOAA's historical merged land-ocean surface temperature analysis (1880–2006),” Journal of Climate, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 2283–2296, 2008.
- J. S. Whitaker, G. P. Compo, X. Wei, and T. M. Hamill, “Reanalysis without radiosondes using ensemble data assimilation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 1190–1200, 2004.
- G. P. Compo, J. S. Whitaker, and P. D. Sardeshmukh, “Feasibility of a 100-year reanalysis using only surface pressure data,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 175–190, 2006.
- R. Allan and T. Ansell, “A new globally complete monthly historical gridded mean sea level pressure dataset (HadSLP2): 1850–2004,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 22, pp. 5816–5842, 2006.
- K. Emanuel, “A statistical analysis of tropical cyclone intensity,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 1139–1152, 2000.
- J. A. Carton and B. S. Giese, “A reanalysis of ocean climate using Simple Ocean Data Assimilation (SODA),” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 2999–3017, 2008.
- S. M. Uppala, P. W. Kållberg, A. J. Simmons et al., “The ERA-40 re-analysis,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 131, no. 612, pp. 2961–3012, 2005.
- J. Sheffield, G. Goteti, and E. F. Wood, “Development of a 50-year high-resolution global dataset of meteorological forcings for land surface modeling,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 3088–3111, 2006.
- N. J. Mantua, S. R. Hare, Y. Zhang, J. M. Wallace, and R. C. Francis, “A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1069–1079, 1997.
- D. B. Enfield, A. M. Mestas-Nuñez, and P. J. Trimble, “The Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its relation to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2077–2080, 2001.
- D. E. Harrison and M. Carson, “Is the world ocean warming? Upper-ocean temperature trends: 1950–2000,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 174–187, 2007.
- C. Torrence and G. P. Compo, “A practical guide to wavelet analysis,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 61–78, 1998.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), “Marine fishery resources of the Antilles: Lesser Antilles, Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba,” FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 326, 1993.
- U. Schneider, T. Fuchs, A. Meyer-Christoffer, and B. Rudolf, “Global precipitation analysis products of the GPCC,” DWD, WCRP Technical Publication, Global Precipitation Climatology Centre, 2008.
- A. Ffield, “Amazon and Orinoco River plumes and NBC rings: bystanders or participants in hurricane events?” Journal of Climate, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 316–333, 2007.
- M. R. Jury, S. Heron, C. Spillman, and K. Anthony, “Climate, Carbon and Coral Reefs, World Meteorological Organization technical report 1063,” Geneva, Switzerland, 2010, http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/wcp/agm/publications/documents/Climate_Carbon_CoralReefs.pdf.