- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Otolaryngology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 296073, 3 pages
Noncleft Velopharyngeal Insufficiency: Etiology and Need For Surgical Treatment
1Department of Otolaryngology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
2Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
3Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Received 28 November 2011; Accepted 23 January 2012
Academic Editor: James Brookes
Copyright © 2012 Steven Goudy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Witzel, R. H. Rich, F. Margar-Bacal, and C. Cox, “Velopharyngeal insufficiency after adenoidectomy: an 8-year review,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 1986.
- K. J. Stewart, T. Ahmad, A. C. H. Watson, and R. E. Razzell, “Altered speech following adenoidectomy: a 20 year experience,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 469–473, 2002.
- N. C. Saunders, B. E. J. Hartley, D. Sell, and B. Sommerlad, “Velopharyngeal insufficiency following adenoidectomy,” Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 686–688, 2004.
- Y. F. Ren, A. Isberg, and G. Henningsson, “Velopharyngeal incompetence and persistent hypernasality after adenoidectomy in children without palatal defect,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 476–482, 1995.
- J. A. Perkins, K. Sie, and S. Gray, “Presence of 22q11 deletion in postadenoidectomy velopharyngeal insufficiency,” Archives of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 645–648, 2000.
- D. B. Fernandas, A. O. Grobbelaar, D. A. Hudson, and R. Lentin, “Velopharyngeal incompetence after adenotonsillectomy in non-cleft patients,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 364–367, 1996.
- L. L. D'Antonio, L. S. Snyder, and S. Samadani, “Tonsillectomy in children with or at risk for velopharyngeal insufficiency: effects on speech,” Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 319–323, 1996.
- C. B. Croft, R. J. Shprintzen, and R. J. Ruben, “Hypernasal speech following adenotonsillectomy,” Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 179–188, 1981.
- J. G. Boorman, S. Varma, and C. Mackie Ogilvie, “Velopharyngeal incompetence and chromosome 22q11 deletion,” Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9258, p. 774, 2001.
- N. H. Robin and R. J. Shprintzen, “Defining the clinical spectrum of deletion 22q11.2,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 90–96, 2005.
- L. E. Eblen, K. C.Y. Sie, and L. T. Furlow, “Perceptual and instrumental assessment of velopharyngeal insufficiency,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 2589–2590, 2002.
- R. J. Shprintzen and K. J. Golding-Kushner, “Evaluation of velopharyngeal insufficiency,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 519–536, 1989.
- D. J. Lam, J. R. Starr, J. A. Perkins et al., “A comparison of nasendoscopy and multiview videofluoroscopy in assessing velopharyngeal insufficiency,” Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 394–402, 2006.
- R. J. Shprintzen, M. L. Lewin, and C. B. Croft, “A comprehensive study of pharyngeal flap surgery: tailor made flaps,” Cleft Palate Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 46–55, 1979.
- A. Losken, J. K. Williams, F. D. Burstein, D. N. Malick, and J. E. Riski, “Surgical correction of velopharyngeal insufficiency in children with velocardiofacial syndrome,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1493–1498, 2006.
- L. M. De Serres, F. W. B. Deleyiannis, L. E. Eblen, J. S. Gruss, M. A. Richardson, and K. C. Y. Sie, “Results with sphincter pharyngoplasty and pharyngeal flap,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 1999.
- S. A. Dailey, M. P. Karnell, L. H. Karnell, and J. W. Canady, “Comparison of resonance outcomes after pharyngeal flap and furlow double-opposing Z-plasty for surgical management of velopharyngeal incompetence,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 2006.