- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Otolaryngology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 852714, 11 pages
Transtympanic Electrocochleography for the Diagnosis of Ménière's Disease
1Department of Otolaryngology and Audiology, Christchurch Hospital, 2 Riccarton Avenue, Christchurch 8011, New Zealand
2Department of Communication Disorders, University of Canterbury, Christchurch 8020, New Zealand
Received 25 July 2011; Revised 3 October 2011; Accepted 5 October 2011
Academic Editor: Michael D. Seidman
Copyright © 2012 Jeremy Hornibrook et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Menière, “Maladies de l'oreille interne offrant les symptomes de la congestion cérébrale apoplectiforme,” Gazette Medicale de Paris, vol. 16, article 88, 1861.
- D. T. Ries, M. Rickert, and R. S. Schlauch, “The peaked audiometric configuration in Ménière's disease: disease related?” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 829–842, 1999.
- H. Sajjadi and M. M. Paparella, “Ménière's disease,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9636, pp. 406–414, 2008.
- Committee on Hearing and Equilibrium, “Committee on hearing and equilibrium guidelines for the diagnosis and evaluation of therapy in Ménière's disease,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 181–185, 1995.
- W. P. R. Gibson, “The 10-point score for the clinical diagnosis of Ménière's disease,” in Proceedings of the Third International Inner Ear Symposium, I. K. Arenberg, Ed., p. 109, Kugler Publications, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1991.
- T. Nakashima, S. Naganawa, M. Sugiura et al., “Visualization of endolymphatic hydrops in patients with Ménière's disease,” The Laryngoscope, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 415–420, 2007.
- T. Nakashima, S. Naganawa, I. Pyykkö et al., “Grading of endolymphatic hydrops using magnetic resonance imaging,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 129, no. 560, pp. 5–8, 2009.
- R. J. Roeser, M. Valente, and H. Hosford-Dunn, Audiology Diagnosis, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- M. A. Thorp, Z. P. Shehab, M. L. Bance, and J. A. Rutka, “The AAO-HNS committee on hearing and equilibrium guidelines for the diagnosis and evaluation of therapy in Meniére's disease: Have they been applied in the published literature of the last decade?” Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 173–176, 2003.
- E. Stapleton and R. Mills, “Clinical diagnosis of Ménière's disease: how useful are the American academy of otolaryngology head and neck surgery committee on hearing and equilibrium guidelines?” The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, vol. 122, no. 8, pp. 773–779, 2008.
- P. H. Van de Heyning, F. L. Wuyts, J. Claes, E. Koekelkoren, C. Van Laer, and H. Valcke, “Definition, classification and reporting of Ménière's disease and its symptoms,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, Supplement, no. 526, pp. 5–9, 1997.
- K. C. Horner, “Old theme and new reflections: hearing impairment associated with endolymphatic hydrops,” Hearing Research, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 147–156, 1991.
- J. W. Hall, New Handbook of Auditory Evoked Responses, Pearson Education, Boston, Mass, USA, 2007.
- M. O. Al-Momani, J. A. Ferraro, B. J. Gajewski, and G. Ator, “Improved sensitivity of electrocochleography in the diagnosis of Meniere's disease,” International Journal of Audiology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 811–819, 2009.
- J. A. Ferraro, “Electrocochleography,” in Audiology Diagnosis, R. J. Roeser, M. Valente, and H. Hosford-Dunn, Eds., pp. 425–450, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- J. A. Ferraro and J. D. Durrant, “Electrocochleography,” in Handbook of Clinical Audiology, J. Katz, Ed., pp. 249–273, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2002.
- R. B. Patuzzi, G. K. Yates, and B. M. Johnstone, “The origin of the low-frequency microphonic in the first cochlear turn of guinea-pig,” Hearing Research, vol. 39, no. 1-2, pp. 177–188, 1989.
- W. P. R. Gibson, “The role of electrocochleography in the understanding the pathophysiology of Ménière's disease,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 23, pp. 12–17, 1996.
- W. P. R. Gibson, D. A. Moffat, and R. T. Ramsden, “Clinical electrocochleography in the diagnosis and management of Menièr's disorder,” Audiology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 389–401, 1977.
- B. J. Conlon and W. P. R. Gibson, “Electrocochleography in the diagnosis of Ménière's disease,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 480–483, 2000.
- R. B. Patuzzi, “Cochlear micromechanics and macromechanics,” in The Cochlea, P. Dallos, A. N. Popper, R. R. Fay, and A. Popper, Eds., pp. 186–257, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- H. Asai and N. Mori, “Change in the summating potential and action potential during the fluctuation of hearing in Ménière's disease,” Scandinavian Audiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1989.
- H. A. Arts, P. R. Kileny, and S. A. Telian, “Diagnostic testing for endolymphatic hydrops,” in The Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, P. C. Weber, Ed., pp. 987–1005, Elsevier, Maryland, Mo, USA, 1997.
- H. K. H. Bohlen, K. Arenberg, and W. P. R. Gibson, “Diagnostic reliability of electrocochleography for hydrops—ear canal/tympanic membrane versus transtympanic electrode placement,” Surgery of the Inner Ear, vol. 109, pp. 269–280, 1990.
- X. Ge and J. J. Shea, “Transtympanic electrocochleography: a 10-year experience,” Otology & Neurotology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 799–805, 2002.
- W. P. R. Gibson, “A comparison of two methods of using transtympanic electrocochleography for the diagnosis of Ménière's disease: click summating potential/action potential ratio measurements and tone burst summating potential measurements,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 129, no. 560, pp. 38–42, 2009.
- W. P. R. Gibson, “A comparison of clicks versus tone bursts in the diagnosis of endolymphatic hydrops,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on ECochG, UAE and Intra-operative monitoring, D. Hochrann, Ed., pp. 55–59, Kugler Publications, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1992.
- W. P. R. Gibson, “Electrocochleography: a comparison of clicks versus tone bursts in the diagnosis of endolymphatic hydrops,” in Proceedings of the Third International Inner Ear Symposium, I. K. Arenberg, Ed., pp. 281–285, Kugler Publications, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1991.
- J. G. Neely, “Medical and surgical treatment of sensorineural hearing loss,” in Audiology Treatment, M. Valente, H. Hosford-Dunn, and R. J. Roeser, Eds., pp. 241–270, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2008.
- M. M. Paparella and M. S. Griebie, “Bilaterality of Ménière's disease,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 97, no. 3-4, pp. 233–237, 1984.
- M. M. Paparella, S. S. da Costa, R. Fox, and T. H. Yoo, “Ménière's disease and other labyrinthine diseases,” in Otolaryngology, M. M. Paparella, D. A. Shumrick, J. Gluckmann, and W. L. Meyerhoff, Eds., WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Penn, USA, 3rd edition, 1991.
- M. M. Paparella, “Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of Ménière's disease,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, no. 485, pp. 26–35, 1991.