- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 167425, 11 pages
Low-Dose UVA Radiation-Induced Adaptive Response in Cultured Human Dermal Fibroblasts
Department of Dermatology, Guangzhou General Hospital of Guangzhou Military Command (Liuhuaqiao Hospital), Guangzhou 510010, China
Received 12 February 2012; Revised 6 April 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editor: Timon Cheng-Yi Liu
Copyright © 2012 Zhongrong Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Moczek, S. Sultan, S. Foster et al., “The role of developmental plasticity in evolutionary innovation,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 278, no. 1719, pp. 2705–2713, 2011.
- M. P. Mattson, “Hormesis defined,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2008.
- S. Tapio and V. Jacob, “Radioadaptive response revisited,” Radiation and Environmental Biophysics, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2007.
- L. A. Sagan, G. Chairman, and J. J. Cohen, “Biological effects of low-dose radiation: overview and perspective,” Health Physics, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 11–13, 1990.
- M. Pollycove and L. E. Feinendegen, “Radiation-induced versus endogenous DNA damage: possible effect of inducible protective responses in mitigating endogenous damage,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 290–306, 2003.
- S. Z. Liu, “Biological effects of low level exposures to ionizing radiation: theory and practice,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 275–281, 2010.
- J. Fu, C. G. Woods, E. Yehuda-Shnaidman et al., “Low-level arsenic impairs glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in pancreatic beta cells: involvement of cellular adaptive response to oxidative stress,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 864–870, 2010.
- T. C. Y. Liu, R. Liu, L. Zhu, J. Q. Yuan, M. Hu, and S. H. Liu, “Homeostatic photobiomodulation,” Frontiers of Optoelectronics in China, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- M. J. Conlan, “Biostimulation of wound healing by low-energy laser irradiation: a review,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 492–496, 1996.
- G. A. Guzzardella, M. Fini, P. Torricelli, G. Giavaresi, and R. Giardino, “Laser stimulation on bone defect healing: an in vitro study,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 216–220, 2002.
- N. Cohen, R. Lubart, S. Rubinstein, and H. Breitbart, “Light irradiation of mouse spermatozoa: stimulation of in vitro fertilization and calcium signals,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 407–413, 1998.
- M. Kreisler, A. B. Christoffers, H. Al-Haj, B. Willershausen, and B. D'Hoedt, “Low level 809-nm diode laser-induced in vitro stimulation of the proliferation of human gingival fibroblasts,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 365–369, 2002.
- N. Grossman, N. Schneid, H. Reuveni, S. Halevy, and R. Lubart, “780 nm low power diode laser irradiation stimulates proliferation of keratinocyte cultures: involvement of reactive oxygen species,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 212–218, 1998.
- J. S. Chen, H. C. Chiu, C. J. Hsu et al., “Low-energy visible light irradiation modulates immune responses induced by epicutaneous sensitization with protein antigen,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 129, no. 9, pp. 2258–2264, 2009.
- V. Molho-Pessach and M. Lotem, “Ultraviolet radiation and cutaneous carcinogenesis,” Current Problems in Dermatology, vol. 35, pp. 14–27, 2007.
- L. P. Massari, M. Kaštelan, and F. Gruber, “Epidermal malignant tumors: pathogenesis, influence of UV light and apoptosis,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 83–85, 2007.
- T. Henriksen, A. Dahlback, S. H. Larsen, and J. Moan, “Ultraviolet-radiation and skin cancer. Effect of an ozone layer depletion,” Photochemistry and photobiology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 579–582, 1990.
- D. Bodiwala, C. J. Luscombe, S. Liu et al., “Prostate cancer risk and exposure to ultraviolet radiation: further support for the protective effect of sunlight,” Cancer Letters, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 2003.
- M. F. McCarty, “A moderately low phosphate intake may provide health benefits analogous to those conferred by UV light—a further advantage of vegan diets,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 61, no. 5-6, pp. 543–560, 2003.
- W. P. Jeeves and A. J. Rainbow, “U.V. enhanced reactivation of U.V.- and γ-irradiated adenovirus in normal human fibroblasts,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 599–623, 1983.
- H. S. Murphy, V. A. Palejwala, M. Sayeedur Rahman, P. M. Dunman, G. Wang, and M. Zafri Humayun, “Role of mismatch repair in the Escherichia coli UVM response,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 178, no. 23, pp. 6651–6657, 1996.
- G. E. Costin and V. J. Hearing, “Human skin pigmentation: melanocytes modulate skin color in response to stress,” FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 976–994, 2007.
- D. Decraene, K. Smaers, D. Maes, M. Matsui, L. Declercq, and M. Garmyn, “A low UVB dose, with the potential to trigger a protective p53-dependent gene program, increases the resilience of keratinocytes against future UVB insults,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1026–1031, 2005.
- K. Scharffetter-Kochanek, M. Wlaschek, P. Brenneisen, M. Schauen, R. Blaudschun, and J. Wenk, “UV-induced reactive oxygen species in photocarcinogenesis and photoaging,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 378, no. 11, pp. 1247–1257, 1997.
- W. Ma, M. Wlaschek, I. Tantcheva-Poór et al., “Chronological ageing and photoageing of the fibroblasts and the dermal connective tissue,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 592–599, 2001.
- K. Kaji, T. Ohta, N. Horie, E. Naru, M. Hasegawa, and N. Kanda, “Donor age reflects the replicative lifespan of human fibroblasts in culture: research article,” Human Cell, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 38–42, 2009.
- N. Emonet-Piccardi, M. J. Richard, J. L. Ravanat, N. Signorini, J. Cadet, and J. C. Béani, “Protective effects of antioxidants against UVA-induced DNA damage in human skin fibroblasts in culture,” Free Radical Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 307–313, 1998.
- K. Maier, R. Schmitt-Landgraf, and B. Siegemund, “Development of an in vitro test system with human skin cells for evaluation of phototoxicity,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 5, no. 5-6, pp. 457–461, 1991.
- M. Chen, G. Zhang, M. Yi et al., “Effect of UVA irradiation on proliferation and NO/iNOS system of human skin fibroblast,” Journal of Central South University, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 705–711, 2009.
- A. Schindl, G. Klosner, H. Hönigsmann, G. Jori, P. C. Calzavara-Pinton, and F. Trautinger, “Flow cytometric quantification of UV-induced cell death in a human squamous cell carcinoma-derived cell line: cose and kinetic studies,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 97–106, 1998.
- C. Alapetite, T. Wachter, E. Sage, and E. Moustacchi, “Use of the alkaline comet assay to detect DNA repair deficiencies in human fibroblasts exposed to UVC, UVB, UVA and γ-rays,” International Journal of Radiation Biology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 359–369, 1996.
- J. D. Hoerter, C. S. Ward, K. D. Bale et al., “Effect of UVA fluence rate on indicators of oxidative stress in human dermal fibroblasts,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 63–70, 2008.
- H. Bånrud, T. Stokke, J. Moan, and K. Berg, “S phase arrest and induction of multinucleated cells after exposure to ultraviolet radiation,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1087–1094, 1995.
- Y. Ibuki and R. Goto, “Antiapoptotic effects induced by different wavelengths of ultraviolet light,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 495–502, 2002.
- S. S. Campbell and P. J. Murphy, “Extraocular circadian phototransduction in humans,” Science, vol. 279, no. 5349, pp. 396–399, 1998.
- T. C. Y. Liu, J. L. Jiao, X. Y. Xu, X. G. Liu, S. X. Deng, and S. H. Liu, “Photobiomodulation: phenomenology and its mechanism,” in Optics in Health Care and Biomedical Optics: Diagnostics and Treatment II, Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 185–191, chn, November 2004.
- X. H. Yang, C. Y. Liu, S. J. Liu et al., “Photobiomodulation on chondrocyte proliferation: in vitro evaluation,” Zhongguo Jiguang/Chinese Journal of Lasers, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1692–1698, 2006.
- J. Shin, J. H. Kim, and E. K. Kim, “Repeated exposure of human fibroblasts to UVR induces secretion of stem cell factor and senescence,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. In press.
- N. Pustišek and M. Šitum, “UV-radiation, apoptosis and skin,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 35, no. 2, supplement 2, pp. 339–341, 2011.
- J. L. Rizzo, J. Dunn, A. Rees, and T. M. Rünger, “No formation of DNA double-strand breaks and no activation of recombination repair with UVA,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 1139–1148, 2011.