- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 574124, 6 pages
Photomechanical Energy Conversion of Photoresponsive Fibers Exhibiting Bending Behavior
1Photocatalyst Group, Kanagawa Academy of Science and Technology, KSP Building East 412, 3-2-1 Sakado, Takatsu-ku, Kanagawa, Kawasaki 213-0012, Japan
2Division of Energy and Environment Photocatalyst, Research Institute for Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, 1-3 Kagurazaka, Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku 162-8601, Japan
3Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, Noda 278-8510, Japan
Received 12 June 2012; Revised 13 August 2012; Accepted 14 August 2012
Academic Editor: Vincenzo Augugliaro
Copyright © 2012 Kazuya Nakata et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Ikeda, J. I. Mamiya, and Y. Yu, “Photomechanics of liquid-crystalline elastomers and other polymers,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 506–528, 2007.
- T. Ikeda, M. Nakano, Y. Yu, O. Tsutsumi, and A. Kanazawa, “Anisotropic bending and unbending behavior of azobenzene liquid-crystalline gels by light exposure,” Advanced Materials, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 201–204, 2003.
- C. J. Barrett, J. I. Mamiya, K. G. Yager, and T. Ikeda, “Photo-mechanical effects in azobenzene-containing soft materials,” Soft Matter, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 1249–1261, 2007.
- H. J. Choi, K. U. Jeong, L. C. Chien, and M. H. Lee, “Photochromic 3-dimensional actuator based on an uncrosslinked liquid crystal elastomer,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 38, pp. 7124–7129, 2009.
- C. D. Eisenbach, “Isomerization of aromatic azo chromophores in poly(ethyl acrylate) networks and photomechanical effect,” Polymer, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1175–1179, 1980.
- K. D. Harris, R. Cuypers, P. Scheibe et al., “Large amplitude light-induced motion in high elastic modulus polymer actuators,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 47, pp. 5043–5048, 2005.
- M. Kondo, Y. Yu, and T. Ikeda, “How does the initial alignment of mesogens affect the photoinduced bending behavior of liquid-crystalline elastomers?” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1378–1382, 2006.
- C. L. Van Oosten, C. W. M. Bastiaansen, and D. J. Broer, “Printed artificial cilia from liquid-crystal network actuators modularly driven by light,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 677–682, 2009.
- M. Yamada, M. Kondo, J. I. Mamiya et al., “Photomobile polymer materials: towards light-driven plastic motors,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 47, no. 27, pp. 4986–4988, 2008.
- T. Yoshino, M. Kondo, J.-I. Mamiya, M. Kinoshita, Y. Yu, and T. Ikeda, “Photomobile polymer materials—towards light-driven plastic motors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, pp. 1361–1363, 2010.
- Y. Yu and T. Ikeda, “Soft actuators based on liquid-crystalline elastomers,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 45, no. 33, pp. 5416–5418, 2006.
- Y. Yu, T. Maeda, J. I. Mamiya, and T. Ikeda, “Photomechanical effects of ferroelectric liquid-crystalline elastomers containing azobenzene chromophores,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 119, pp. 899–901, 2007.
- Y. Yu, M. Nakano, and T. Ikeda, “Directed bending of a polymer film by light,” Nature, vol. 425, no. 6954, p. 145, 2003.
- Y. Yu, M. Nakano, A. Shishido, T. Shiono, and T. Ikeda, “Effect of cross-linking density on photoinduced bending behavior of oriented liquid-crystalline network films containing azobenzene,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1637–1643, 2004.
- S. V. Ahir and E. M. Terentjev, “Photomechanical actuation in polymer-nanotube composites,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 491–495, 2005.
- S. Kobatake, S. Takami, H. Muto, T. Ishikawa, and M. Irie, “Rapid and reversible shape changes of molecular crystals on photoirradiation,” Nature, vol. 446, no. 7137, pp. 778–781, 2007.
- H. Koshima, N. Ojima, and H. Uchimoto, “Mechanical motion of azobenzene crystals upon photoirradiation,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 20, pp. 6890–6891, 2009.
- O. M. Tanchak and C. J. Barrett, “Light-induced reversible volume changes in thin films of azo polymers: the photomechanical effect,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 25, pp. 10566–10570, 2005.
- G. V. D. Veen and W. Prins, “Where doctors draw the line,” Nature, vol. 230, pp. 70–72, 1971.
- K. Takada, T. Miyazaki, N. Tanaka, and T. Tatsuma, “Three-dimensional motion and transformation of a photoelectrochemical actuator,” Chemical Communications, no. 19, pp. 2024–2026, 2006.
- T. Tatsuma, K. Takada, and T. Miyazaki, “UV-light-induced swelling and visible-light-induced shrinking of a TiO2-containing redox gel,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1249–1251, 2007.
- A. Suzuki and T. Tanaka, “Phase transition in polymer gels induced by visible light,” Nature, vol. 346, no. 6282, pp. 345–346, 1990.
- K. Nakata, Y. Ishikawa, M. Sakai et al., “Anisotropic photomechanical motion of semicircular-shaped microfibers that contain dyes,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 40, pp. 1229–1230, 2011.