- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 637839, 8 pages
Acid Treatment of Titania Pastes to Create Scattering Layers in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
SPECIFIC, College of Engineering, Baglan Bay Innovation and Knowledge Centre, Swansea University, Central Avenue, Baglan SA12 7AX, UK
Received 3 August 2012; Accepted 28 September 2012
Academic Editor: Leonardo Palmisano
Copyright © 2012 Trystan Watson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, A. Kay, I. Rodicio et al., “Conversion of light to electricity by cis-X2bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylate)ruthenium(II) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = Cl-, Br-, I-, CN-, and SCN-) on nanocrystalline TiO2 electrodes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 14, pp. 6382–6390, 1993.
- M. Grätzel, “Photoelectrochemical cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6861, pp. 338–344, 2001.
- C. J. Barbé, F. Arendse, P. Comte et al., “Nanocrystalline titanium oxide electrodes for photovoltaic applications,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 80, pp. 3157–3171, 2005.
- K. Kalyanasundaram, S. Ito, S. Yanagida, and S. Uchida, “Scale-up and product development studies of dye-sensitized solar cells,” in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, K. Kalyanasundaram, Ed., pp. 267–321, EPFL Press, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2010.
- T. Watson, I. Mabbett, H. Wang, L. Peter, and D. Worsley, “Ultrafast near infrared sintering of TiO2 layers on metal substrates for dye-sensitized solar cells,” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 482–486, 2011.
- M. Cherrington, T. C. Claypole, D. Deganello, I. Mabbett, T. Watson, and D. Worsley, “Ultrafast near-infrared sintering of a slot-die coated nano-silver conducting ink,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, pp. 7562–7564, 2011.
- P. J. Holliman, M. L. Davies, A. Connell, B. V. Velasco, and T. M. Watson, “Ultra-fast dye sensitisation and co-sensitisation for dye sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Communications, vol. 46, no. 38, pp. 7256–7258, 2010.
- Y. Saito, S. Kambe, T. Kitamura, Y. Wada, and S. Yanagida, “Morphology control of mesoporous TiO2 nanocrystalline films for performance of dye-sensitized solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2004.
- P. Sommeling, R. R. Haswell, H. J. P. Smit et al., “Influence of a TiCl4 post-treatment on nanocrystalline TiO2 films in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Society, pp. 19191–19197, 2006.
- G. Rothenberger, M. Grätzel, and P. Comte, “A Contribution to the optical design of dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 321–336, 1999.
- J. Ferber and J. Luther, “Computer simulations of light scattering and absorption in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 54, no. 1–4, pp. 265–275, 1998.
- K. Kalyanasundaram and M. Grätzel, “Applications of functionalized transition metal complexes in photonic and optoelectronic devices,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 177, pp. 347–414, 1998.
- Y. Tachibana, K. Hara, K. Sayama, and H. Arakawa, “Quantitative analysis of light-harvesting efficiency and electron-transfer yield in ruthenium-dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 2527–2535, 2002.
- Z.-S. Wang, H. Kawauchi, T. Kashima, and H. Arakawa, “Significant influence of TiO2 photoelectrode morphology on the energy conversion efficiency of N719 dye-sensitized solar cell,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 248, no. 13-14, pp. 1381–1389, 2004.
- A. Usami, “Theoretical study of application of multiple scattering of light to a dye-sensitized nanocrystalline photoelectrochemical cell,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 277, no. 1–3, pp. 105–108, 1997.
- S. Hore, C. Vetter, R. Kern, H. Smit, and A. Hinsch, “Influence of scattering layers on efficiency of dye-sensitized solar cells,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 1176–1188, 2006.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, R. Splivallo, P. Liska, P. Comte, and M. Grätzel, “A swift dye uptake procedure for dye sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Communications, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1456–1457, 2003.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, P. Comte, R. Charvet, R. Humphry-Baker, and M. Grätzel, “Enhance the performance of dye-sensitized solar cells by co-grafting amphiphilic sensitizer and hexadecylmalonic acid on TiO2 nanocrystals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 51, pp. 14336–14341, 2003.
- Z.-S. Wang, F. Y. Li, and C. H. Huang, “Photocurrent enhancement of hemicyanine dyes containing RSO3- group through treating TiO2 films with hydrochloric acid,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, pp. 9210–9217, 2001.
- Z.-S. Wang, T. Yamaguchi, H. Sugihara, and H. Arakawa, “Significant efficiency improvement of the black dye-sensitized solar cell through protonation of TiO2 films,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 4272–4276, 2005.
- H. S. Jung, J.-K. Lee, L. S. Lee, K. S. Hong, and H. Shin, “Acid adsorption on TiO2 nanoparticles: an electrochemical properties study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 22, pp. 8476–8480, 2008.
- S. Hao, J. Wu, L. Fan, Y. Huang, J. Lin, and Y. Wei, “The influence of acid treatment of TiO2 porous film electrode on photoelectric performance of dye-sensitized solar cell,” Solar Energy, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 745–750, 2004.
- T. M. Watson, P. Holliman, and D. Worsley, “Rapid, continuous in situ monitoring of dye sensitisation in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 4321–4325, 2011.
- M. Ikeda, N. Koide, L. Han, A. Sasahara, and H. Onishi, “Scanning tunneling microscopy study of black dye and deoxycholic acid adsorbed on a rutile TiO2(110),” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 8056–8060, 2008.