- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 939237, 9 pages
Feasibility of Carbonaceous Nanomaterial-Assisted Photocatalysts Calcined at Different Temperatures for Indoor Air Applications
Department of Environmental Engineering, Kyungpook National University, University Road, Bukgu, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
Received 5 June 2012; Revised 2 July 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Jiaguo Yu
Copyright © 2012 Wan-Kuen Jo and Kun-Hwan Kim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Lu, D. Wang, Y. Wu, C. Ma, X. Zhang, and C. Yang, “Synergistic effect of nanophotocatalysis and nonthermal plasma on the removal of indoor HCHO,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 354032, 8 pages, 2012.
- G. Wang, L. Xu, J. Zhang, T. Yin, and D. Han, “Enhanced photocatalytic activity of TiO2 powders (P25) via calcination treatment,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 265760, 9 pages, 2012.
- G. Wang, B. Cheng, J. Zhang, L. Xu, and T. Yin, “Facile synthesis and photocatalytic property of titania/carbon composite hollow microspheres with bimodal mesoporous shells,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 976389, 9 pages, 2012.
- W. K. Jo and J. T. Kim, “Application of visible-light photocatalysis with nitrogen-doped or unmodified titanium dioxide for control of indoor-level volatile organic compounds,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 360–366, 2009.
- R. Vinu, S. Polisetti, and G. Madras, “Dye sensitized visible light degradation of phenolic compounds,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 165, no. 3, pp. 784–797, 2010.
- G. Yang, Z. Jiang, H. Shi et al., “Study on the photocatalysis of F-S co-doped TiO2 prepared using solvothermal method,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 96, no. 3-4, pp. 458–465, 2010.
- R. Leary and A. Westwood, “Carbonaceous nanomaterials for the enhancement of TiO2 photocatalysis,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 741–772, 2011.
- G. Veréb, Z. Ambrus, Z. Pap et al., “Comparative study on UV and visible light sensitive bare and doped titanium dioxide photocatalysts for the decomposition of environmental pollutants in water,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 417-418, pp. 26–36, 2012.
- W. Zhou, P. Zhang, and W. Liu, “Anatase TiO2 nanospindle/activated carbon (ac) composite photocatalysts with enhanced activity in removal of organic contaminant,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 325902, 7 pages, 2012.
- S. Liu and X. Chen, “Preparation and characterization of a novel activated carbon-supported N-doped visible light response photocatalyst (TiO2-xNy/AC),” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 453–459, 2007.
- S.-Y. Ye, Q. M. Tian, X.-L. Song, and S.-C. Luo, “Photoelectrocatalytic degradation of ethylene by a combination of TiO2 and activated carbon felts,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2010.
- B. Ahmmad, Y. Kusumoto, S. Somekawa, and M. Ikeda, “Carbon nanotubes synergistically enhance photocatalytic activity of TiO2,” Catalysis Communications, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1410–1413, 2008.
- K. Woan, G. Pyrgiotakis, and W. Sigmund, “Photocatalytic carbon-nanotube-TiO2 composites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 2233–2239, 2009.
- Q. Wang, D. Yang, D. Chen, Y. Wang, and Z. Jiang, “Synthesis of anatase titania-carbon nanotubes nanocomposites with enhanced photocatalytic activity through a nanocoating-hydrothermal process,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1087–1096, 2007.
- W. Wang, P. Serp, P. Kalck, and J. L. Faria, “Visible light photodegradation of phenol on MWNT-TiO2 composite catalysts prepared by a modified sol-gel method,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 235, no. 1-2, pp. 194–199, 2005.
- G. Hu, X. Meng, X. Feng, Y. Ding, S. Zhang, and M. Yang, “Anatase TiO2 nanoparticles/carbon nanotubes nanofibers: preparation, characterization and photocatalytic properties,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 17, pp. 7162–7170, 2007.
- Y. Yao, G. Li, S. Ciston, R. M. Lueptow, and K. A. Gray, “Photoreactive TiO2/carbon nanotube composites: synthesis and reactivity,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 4952–4957, 2008.
- C.-Y. Kuo, “Prevenient dye-degradation mechanisms using UV/TiO2/carbon nanotubes process,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 239–244, 2009.
- W.-C. Oh, A.-R. Jung, and W.-B. Ko, “Characterization and relative photonic efficiencies of a new nanocarbon/TiO2 composite photocatalyst designed for organic dye decomposition and bactericidal activity,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1338–1347, 2009.
- T. Matsumoto, N. Iyi, Y. Kaneko et al., “High visible-light photocatalytic activity of nitrogen-doped titania prepared from layered titania/isostearate nanocomposite,” Catalysis Today, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 226–232, 2007.
- K. Suriye, P. Praserthdam, and B. Jongsomjit, “Control of Ti3+surface defect on TiO2 nanocrystal using various calcination atmospheres as the first step for surface defect creation and its application in photocatalysis,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 8, pp. 3849–3855, 2007.
- M. A. Aramendía, V. Borau, J. C. Colmenares et al., “Modification of the photocatalytic activity of Pd/TiO2 and Zn/TiO2 systems through different oxidative and reductive calcination treatments,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 80, no. 1-2, pp. 88–97, 2008.
- A. Zaleska, E. Grabowska, J. W. Sobczak, M. Gazda, and J. Hupka, “Photocatalytic activity of boron-modified TiO2 under visible light: the effect of boron content, calcination temperature and TiO2 matrix,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 89, no. 3-4, pp. 469–475, 2009.
- A. Jia, X. Liang, Z. Su, T. Zhu, and S. Liu, “Synthesis and the effect of calcination temperature on the physical-chemical properties and photocatalytic activities of Ni,La codoped SrTiO3,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 178, no. 1–3, pp. 233–242, 2010.
- P. Serp, M. Corrias, and P. Kalck, “Carbon nanotubes and nanofibers in catalysis,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 253, no. 2, pp. 337–358, 2003.
- C. S. Chen, Y. C. Hseu, S. H. Liang, J. Y. Kuo, and S. C. Chen, “Assessment of genotoxicity of methyl-tert-butyl ether, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene to human lymphocytes using comet assay,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 153, no. 1-2, pp. 351–356, 2008.
- U. Schlink, A. Thiem, T. Kohajda, M. Richter, and K. Strebel, “Quantile regression of indoor air concentrations of volatile organic compounds (VOC),” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 18, pp. 3840–3851, 2010.
- A. P. Xagas, E. Androulaki, A. Hiskia, and P. Falaras, “Preparation, fractal surface morphology and photocatalytic properties of TiO2 films,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 357, no. 2, pp. 173–178, 1999.
- W. K. Jo and J. T. Kim, “Decomposition of gas-phase aromatic hydrocarbons by applying an annular-type reactor coatedwith sulfur-doped photocatalyst under visible-light irradiation,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 485–492, 2010.
- C. Y. Yen, Y. F. Lin, C. H. Hung et al., “The effects of synthesis procedures on the morphology and photocatalytic activity of multi-walled carbon nanotubes/TiO2 nanocomposites,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 4, Article ID 045604, 2008.
- K. Dai, T. Peng, D. Ke, and B. Wei, “Photocatalytic hydrogen generation using a nanocomposite of multi-walled carbon nanotubes and TiO2 nanoparticles under visible light irradiation,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 12, Article ID 125603, 2009.
- T. Peng, D. Zhao, K. Dai, W. Shi, and K. Hirao, “Synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles with mesoporous anatase wall and high photocatalytic activity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 11, pp. 4947–4952, 2005.
- W. K. Jo and C. H. Yang, “Feasibility of a tandem photocatalytic oxidation-adsorption system for removal of monoaromatic compounds at concentrations in the sub-ppm-range,” Chemosphere, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 236–241, 2009.
- A. Y. Shan, T. I. M. Ghazi, and S. A. Rashid, “Immobilisation of titanium dioxide onto supporting materials in heterogeneous photocatalysis: a review,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 389, no. 1-2, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- U. I. Gaya and A. H. Abdullah, “Heterogeneous photocatalytic degradation of organic contaminants over titanium dioxide: a review of fundamentals, progress and problems,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2008.
- W. Wang and Y. Ku, “Photocatalytic degradation of gaseous benzene in air streams by using an optical fiber photoreactor,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2003.
- T. H. Lim and S. D. Kim, “Trichloroethylene degradation by photocatalysis in annular flow and annulus fluidized bed photoreactors,” Chemosphere, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 305–312, 2004.
- J. Yu, T. Ma, and S. Liu, “Enhanced photocatalytic activity of mesoporous TiO2 aggregates by embedding carbon nanotubes as electron-transfer channel,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 3491–3501, 2011.
- Q. Xiang, J. Yu, and M. Jaroniec, “Synergetic effect of MoS2 and graphene as cocatalysts for enhanced photocatalytic H2 production activity of TiO2 nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, pp. 6575–6578, 2012.
- J. Yu, B. Yang, and B. Cheng, “Noble-metal-free carbon nanotube-Cd0.1Zn0.9S composites for high visible-light photocatalytic H2-production performance,” Nanoscale, vol. 4, pp. 2670–2677, 2012.