- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 578191, 11 pages
The Comparison of Photocatalytic Degradation and Decolorization Processes of Dyeing Effluents
1Department of General and Analytical Chemistry, Medical University of Silesia, Jagiellońska 4, 41-200 Sosnowiec, Poland
2Institute of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health, Kościelna 13, 41-200 Sosnowiec, Poland
Received 18 September 2012; Revised 13 December 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: Leonardo Palmisano
Copyright © 2013 Ewa Adamek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. G. Saratale, G. D. Saratale, J. S. Chang, and S. P. Govindwar, “Decolorization and biodegradation of reactive dyes and dye wastewater by a developed bacterial consortium,” Biodegradation, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 999–1015, 2010.
- T. Robinson, G. McMullan, R. Marchant, and P. Nigam, “Remediation of dyes in textile effluent: a critical review on current treatment technologies with a proposed alternative,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 247–255, 2001.
- J. C. Garcia, J. L. Oliveira, A. E. C. Silva, C. C. Oliveira, J. Nozaki, and N. E. de Souza, “Comparative study of the degradation of real textile effluents by photocatalytic reactions involving UV/TiO2/H2O2 and UV/Fe2+/H2O2 systems,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 105–110, 2007.
- I. M. C. Gonçalves, A. Gomes, R. Brás, M. I. A. Ferra, M. T. P. Amorim, and R. S. Porter, “Biological treatment of effluent containing textile dyes,” Coloration Technology, vol. 116, pp. 393–397, 2000.
- M. Asgher, H. N. Bhatti, S. A. H. Shah, M. J. Asad, and R. L. Legge, “Decolorization potential of mixed microbial consortia for reactive and disperse textile dyestuffs,” Biodegradation, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 311–316, 2007.
- B. H. Hameed, A. L. Ahmad, and K. N. A. Latiff, “Adsorption of basic dye (methylene blue) onto activated carbon prepared from rattan sawdust,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 143–149, 2007.
- H. Selcuk, “Decolorization and detoxification of textile wastewater by ozonation and coagulation processes,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 217–222, 2005.
- A. S. Stasinakis, “Use of selected advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) for wastewater treatment—a mini review,” Global NEST Journal, vol. 10, pp. 376–385, 2008.
- R. Aplin and T. D. Waite, “Comparison of three advanced oxidation processes for degradation of textile dyes,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 5-6, pp. 345–354, 2000.
- I. Arslan-Alaton, G. Tureli, and T. Olmez-Hanci, “Treatment of azo dye production wastewaters using Photo-Fenton-like advanced oxidation processes: optimization by response surface methodology,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 202, no. 2-3, pp. 142–153, 2009.
- J. M. Herrmann, “Heterogeneous photocatalysis: state of the art and present applications,” Topics in Catalysis, vol. 34, no. 1–4, pp. 49–65, 2005.
- I. K. Konstantinou and T. A. Albanis, “TiO2-assisted photocatalytic degradation of azo dyes in aqueous solution: kinetic and mechanistic investigations: a review,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2004.
- W. Feng and D. Nansheng, “Photochemistry of hydrolytic iron (III) species and photoinduced degradation of organic compounds. A minireview,” Chemosphere, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1137–1147, 2000.
- I. P. Pozdnyakov, Y. A. Sosedova, V. F. Plyusnin et al., “Photodegradation of organic pollutants in aqueous solutions caused by photolysis: evidence of OH radical formation,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 89–93, 2004.
- U. I. Gaya and A. H. Abdullah, “Heterogeneous photocatalytic degradation of organic contaminants over titanium dioxide: a review of fundamentals, progress and problems,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2008.
- O. K. Dalrymple, D. H. Yeh, and M. A. Trotz, “Removing pharmaceuticals and endocrine-disrupting compounds from wastewater by photocatalysis,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 121–134, 2007.
- R. Rajeswari and S. Kanmani, “A study on degradation of pesticide wastewater by TiO2 photocatalysis,” Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 1063–1067, 2009.
- Z. F. Guo, R. X. Ma, and G. J. Li, “Degradation of phenol by nanomaterial TiO2 in wastewater,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 119, pp. 55–59, 2006.
- C. Jia, Y. Wang, C. Zhang, and Q. Qin, “UV-TiO2 photocatalytic degradation of landfill leachate,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 217, no. 1–4, pp. 375–385, 2011.
- V. Sarria, M. Deront, P. Péringer, and C. Pulgarin, “Degradation of a biorecalcitrant dye precursor present in industrial wastewaters by a new integrated iron(III) photoassisted-biological treatment,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 231–246, 2003.
- L. Poulain, G. Mailhot, P. Wong-Wah-Chung, and M. Bolte, “Photodegradation of chlortoluron sensitised by iron(III) aquacomplexes,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2003.
- C. Catastini, S. Rafqah, G. Mailhot, and M. Sarakha, “Degradation of amitrole by excitation of iron(III) aquacomplexes in aqueous solutions,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2004.
- W. Baran, A. Makowski, and W. Wardas, “The influence of FeCl3 on the photocatalytic degradation of dissolved azo dyes in aqueous TiO2 suspensions,” Chemosphere, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 2003.
- H. Měšťánková, J. Krýsa, J. Jirkovský, G. Mailhot, and M. Bolte, “The influence of Fe(III) speciation on supported TiO2 efficiency: example of monuron photocatalytic degradation,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 58, pp. 185–191, 2005.
- J. Zhang, D. Fu, Q. Peng, L. Deng, and X. Yang, “Fe3+-assisted photocatalytic oxidation of sulfamethazine in TiO2 suspended solution,” Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1051–1056, 2011.
- I. A. Alaton, I. A. Balcioglu, and D. W. Bahnemann, “Advanced oxidation of a reactive dyebath effluent: Comparison of O3, H2O2/UV-C and TiO2/UV-A processes,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1143–1154, 2002.
- P. A. Pekakis, N. P. Xekoukoulotakis, and D. Mantzavinos, “Treatment of textile dyehouse wastewater by TiO2 photocatalysis,” Water Research, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1276–1286, 2006.
- C. C. Liu, Y. H. Hsieh, P. F. Lai, C. H. Li, and C. L. Kao, “Photodegradation treatment of azo dye wastewater by UV/TiO2 process,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 68, no. 2-3, pp. 191–195, 2006.
- J. C. Garcia, J. I. Simionato, A. E. C. Silva, J. Nozaki, and N. E. de Souza, “Solar photocatalytic degradation of real textile effluents by associated titanium dioxide and hydrogen peroxide,” Solar Energy, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 316–322, 2009.
- W. Baran, E. Adamek, and A. Makowski, “The influence of selected parameters on the photocatalytic degradation of azo-dyes in the presence of TiO2 aqueous suspension,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 242–248, 2008.
- “Methods for Chemical Analysis of Water and Wastes, Chemical Oxygen Demand, Titrimetric Methods 410.1-3,” US EPA United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC, USA, EPA/600/4-79/020, pp. 443–451, March 1983, http://nepis.epa.gov/.
- W. Baran, A. Makowski, and W. Wardas, “Changes in COD values in aqueous solutions of the selected azo dyes during the photocatalytic degradation process,” in Micropollution in the Human Environment, vol. 51, pp. 215–221, Częstochowa University of Technology Publishing House, Częstochowa, Poland, 2003.
- W. Baran, J. Sochacka, and W. Wardas, “Toxicity and biodegradability of sulfonamides and products of their photocatalytic degradation in aqueous solutions,” Chemosphere, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1295–1299, 2006.
- E. Bizani, K. Fytianos, I. Poulios, and V. Tsiridis, “Photocatalytic decolorization and degradation of dye solutions and wastewaters in the presence of titanium dioxide,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 85–94, 2006.
- C. Lizama, J. Freer, J. Baeza, and H. D. Mansilla, “Optimized photodegradation of reactive blue 19 on TiO2 and ZnO suspensions,” Catalysis Today, vol. 76, no. 2–4, pp. 235–246, 2002.
- D. Mantzavinos and E. Psillakis, “Enhancement of biodegradability of industrial wastewaters by chemical oxidation pre-treatment,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 431–454, 2004.