- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 942139, 10 pages
A Suitable Polysulfide Electrolyte for CdSe Quantum Dot-Sensitized Solar Cells
Centre for Ionics University of Malaya, Department of Physics, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 22 November 2012; Revised 29 January 2013; Accepted 29 January 2013
Academic Editor: Daniel Chemisana
Copyright © 2013 H. K. Jun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- M. Grätzel, “Dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 2003.
- R. Vogel, K. Pohl, and H. Weller, “Sensitization of highly porous, polycrystalline TiO2 electrodes by quantum sized CdS,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 174, no. 3-4, pp. 241–246, 1990.
- R. Vogel, P. Hoyer, and H. Weller, “Quantum-sized PbS, CdS, Ag2S, Sb2S3, and Bi2S3 particles as sensitizers for various nanoporous wide-bandgap semiconductors,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 3183–3188, 1994.
- P. V. Kamat, “Quantum dot solar cells. Semiconductor nanocrystals as light harvesters,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 48, pp. 18737–18753, 2008.
- W. W. Yu, L. H. Qu, W. Z. Guo, and X. G. Peng, “Experimental determination of the extinction coefficient of CdTe, CdSe, and CdS Nanocrystals,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 14, pp. 2854–2860, 2003.
- V. González-Pedro, X. Xu, I. Mora-Seró, and J. Bisquert, “Modeling high-efficiency quantum dot sensitized solar cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 5783–5790, 2010.
- G. Zhu, L. Pan, T. Xu, and Z. Sun, “CdS/CdSe-cosensitized TiO2 photoanode for quantum-dot-sensitized solar cells by a microwave-assisted chemical bath deposition method,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 3146–3151, 2011.
- A. J. Nozik, “Quantum dot solar cells,” Physica E, vol. 14, no. 1-2, pp. 115–120, 2002.
- A. J. Nozik, M. C. Beard, J. M. Luther, M. Law, R. J. Ellingson, and J. C. Johnson, “Semiconductor quantum dots and quantum dot arrays and applications of multiple exciton generation to third-generation photovoltaic solar cells,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 11, pp. 6873–6890, 2010.
- Y. Chiba, A. Islam, Y. Watanabe, R. Komiya, N. Koide, and L. Han, “Dye-sensitized solar cells with conversion efficiency of 11.1%,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 45, no. 24–28, pp. L638–L640, 2006.
- M. Samadpour, A. Iraji zad, N. Taghavinia, and M. Molaei, “A new structure to increase the photostability of CdTe quantum dot sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 44, no. 4, Article ID 045103, 2011.
- V. Jovanovski, V. Gonzalez-Pedro, S. Gimenez et al., “A sulfide/polysulfide-based ionic liquid electrolyte for quantum dot-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 133, no. 50, pp. 20156–20159, 2011.
- M. Shalom, S. Dor, S. Rühle, L. Grinis, and A. Zaban, “Core/CdS quantum dot/shell mesoporous solar cells with improved stability and efficiency using an amorphous TiO2 coating,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 3895–3898, 2009.
- G. Hodes, “Comparison of dye- and semiconductor-sensitized porous nanocrystalline liquid junction solar cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 46, pp. 17778–17787, 2008.
- Y.-L. Lee, B.-M. Huang, and H.-T. Chien, “Highly efficient CdSe-sensitized TiO2 photoelectrode for quantum-dot-sensitized solar cell applications,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 22, pp. 6903–6905, 2008.
- S. Rühle, M. Shalom, and A. Zaban, “Quantum-dot-sensitized solar cells,” Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2290–2304, 2010.
- Y.- L. Lee and C.-H. Chang, “Efficient polysulfide electrolyte for CdS quantum dot-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 584–588, 2008.
- L. J. Diguna, Q. Shen, J. Kobayashi, and T. Toyoda, “High efficiency of CdSe quantum-dot-sensitized TiO2 inverse opal solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 2, Article ID 023116, 2007.
- S. Giménez, I. Mora-Seró, L. Macor et al., “Improving the performance of colloidal quantum-dot-sensitized solar cells,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 29, Article ID 295204, pp. 4208–4214, 2009.
- A. Salant, M. Shalom, I. Hod, A. Faust, A. Zaban, and U. Banin, “Quantum dot sensitized solar cells with improved efficiency prepared using electrophoretic deposition,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 5962–5968, 2010.
- Y. Tachibana, K. Umekita, Y. Otsuka, and S. Kuwabata, “Performance improvement of CdS quantum dots sensitized TiO2 solar cells by introducing a dense TiO2 blocking layer,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 41, no. 10, Article ID 102002, 2008.
- H. Lee, M. Wang, P. Chen et al., “Efficient CdSe quantum dot-sensitized solar cells prepared by an improved successive ionic layer adsorption and reaction process,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 4221–4227, 2009.
- G. Vázquez, E. Alvarez, and J. M. Navaza, “Surface tension of alcohol + water from 20 to 50°C,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 611–614, 1995.
- R. Costi, A. E. Saunders, E. Elmalem, A. Salant, and U. Banin, “Visible light-induced charge retention and photocatalysis with hybrid CdSe-Au nanodumbbells,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 637–641, 2008.
- I. Mora-Seró and J. Bisquert, “Breakthroughs in the development of semiconductor-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 1, no. 20, pp. 3046–3052, 2010.
- B. R. Müller, S. Majoni, D. Meissner, and R. Memming, “Photocatalytic oxidation of ethanol on micrometer-and nanometer-sized semiconductor particles,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 151, no. 1–3, pp. 253–265, 2002.
- Z. Yang, C.-Y. Chen, P. Roy, and H.-T. Chang, “Quantum dot-sensitized solar cells incorporating nanomaterials,” Chemical Communications, vol. 47, no. 34, pp. 9561–9571, 2011.
- S. Licht, “A description of energy conversion in photoelectrochemical solar cells,” Nature, vol. 330, no. 6144, pp. 148–151, 1987.
- N. Ardoin and J. Winnick, “Polysulfide solution chemistry at a CdSe photoanode,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 135, no. 7, pp. 1719–1722, 1988.
- C.-Y. Chou, C.-P. Lee, R. Vittal, and K.-C. Ho, “Efficient quantum dot-sensitized solar cell with polystyrene-modified TiO2 photoanode and with guanidine thiocyanate in its polysulfide electrolyte,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 196, no. 15, pp. 6595–6602, 2011.
- C. Zhang, Y. Huang, Z. Huo, S. Chen, and S. Dai, “Photoelectrochemical effects of guanidinium thiocyanate on dye-sensitized solar cell performance and stability,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 52, pp. 21779–21783, 2009.
- S. K. Sarkar, N. Chandrasekharan, S. Gorer, and G. Hodes, “Reversible adsorption-enhanced quantum confinement in semiconductor quantum dots,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 26, pp. 5045–5047, 2002.
- T. Zewdu, J. N. Clifford, J. P. Hernandez, and E. Palomares, “Photo-induced charge transfer dynamics in efficient TiO2/CdS/CdSe sensitized solar cells,” Energy and Environmental Science, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 4633–4638, 2011.
- M. A. Hossain, J. R. Jennings, C. Shen et al., “CdSe-sensitized mesoscopic TiO 2 solar cells exhibiting >5% efficiency: redundancy of CdS buffer layer,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 32, pp. 16235–16242, 2012.
- H. J. Lee, J. Bang, J. Park, S. Kim, and S.-M. Park, “Multilayered semiconductor (CdS/CdSe/ZnS)-sensitized TiO2 mesoporous solar cells: all prepared by successive ionic layer adsorption and reaction processes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 22, no. 19, pp. 5636–5643, 2010.
- P. V. Kamat, “Boosting the efficiency of quantum dot sensitized solar cells through modulation of interfacial charge transfer,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1906–1915, 2012.