- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 141854, 7 pages
Psychiatric Morbidity among a Sample of Orphanage Children in Cairo
1Departments of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt
2Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt
3Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Al Azhar University, Egypt
Received 25 September 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editor: Namik Yaşar Özbek
Copyright © 2012 Mohamed A. EL Koumi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Erol, Z. Simsek, and K. Münir, “Mental health of adolescents reared in institutional care in Turkey: challenges and hope in the twenty-first century,” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 113–124, 2010.
- S. J. Altshuler and J. Poertner, “The child health and illness profile-adolescent edition: assessing well-being in group homes or institutions,” Child Welfare, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 495–513, 2002.
- P. H. Wolff and G. Fesseha, “The orphans of Eritrea: a five-year follow-up study,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- M. C. Garvin, A. R. Tarullo, M. Van Ryzin, and M. R. Gunnar, “Postadoption parenting and socioemotional development in postinstitutionalized children,” Development and Psychopathology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–48, 2012.
- A. L. Trout, K. Casey, M. B. Chmelka, C. DeSalvo, R. Reid, and M. H. Epstein, “Overlooked: children with disabilities in residential care,” Child Welfare, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 111–136, 2009.
- P. Vorria, Z. Papaligoura, J. Dunn et al., “Early experiences and attachment relationships of Greek infants raised in residential group care,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1208–1220, 2003.
- R. Johnson, K. Browne, and C. Hamilton-Giachritsis, “Young children in institutional care at risk of harm,” Trauma, Violence, and Abuse, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 34–60, 2006.
- L. C. Leite and P. C. Schmid, “Institutionalization and psychological suffering: notes on the mental health of institutionalized adolescents in Brazil,” Transcultural Psychiatry, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 281–293, 2004.
- B. Tizard and J. Hodges, “The effect of early institutional rearing on the development of eight year old children,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 99–118, 1978.
- J. B. McCann, A. James, S. Wilson, and G. Dunn, “Prevalence of psychiatric disorders in young people in the care system,” British Medical Journal, vol. 313, no. 7071, pp. 1529–1530, 1996.
- A. Ahmad, J. Qahar, A. Siddiq et al., “A 2-year follow-up of orphan's competence, socioemotional problems and post-traumatic stress symptoms in traditional foster care and orphanages in Iraqi Kurdistan,” Child, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 203–215, 2005.
- L. Fisher, E. W. Ames, K. Chisholm, and L. Savoie, “Problems reported by parents of romanian orphans adopted to British Columbia,” International Journal of Behavioral Development, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 67–82, 1997.
- M. H. El Defrawy, A. M. Abd El Wahab, A. Atef, and M. Abd El Hady, Arabic Translation of Achenbach's Child Behavior Checklist, Faculty of Medicine, University of Suez Canal, Suez City, Egypt, 1995.
- L. A. Palen and J. D. Coatsworth, “Activity-based identity experiences and their relations to problem behavior and psychological well-being in adolescence,” Journal of Adolescence, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 721–737, 2007.
- T. X. Tan, R. F. Dedrick, and K. Marfo, “Factor structure and clinical implications of Child Behavior Checklist/1.5-5 ratings in a sample of girls adopted from China,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 807–818, 2007.
- J. Biederman, M. C. Monuteaux, E. Kendrick, K. L. Klein, and S. V. Faraone, “The CBCL as a screen for psychiatric comorbidity in paediatric patients with ADHD,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 1010–1015, 2005.
- Z. S. Lassi, S. Mahmud, E. U. Syed, and N. Z. Janjua, “Behavioral problems among children living in orphanage facilities of Karachi, Pakistan: comparison of children in an SOS Village with those in conventional orphanages,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 787–796, 2011.
- D. A. Frank, P. E. Klass, F. Earls, and L. Eisenberg, “Infants and young children in orphanages: one view from pediatrics and child psychiatry,” Pediatrics, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 569–578, 1996.
- P. Vorriat, S. Wolkind, M. Rutter, A. Pickles, and A. Hobsbaum, “A comparative study of Greek children in long-term residential group care and in two-parent families: I. Social, emotional, and behavioural differences,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 225–236, 1998.
- P. Roy, M. Rutter, and A. Pickles, “Institutional care: risk from family background or pattern of rearing?” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 139–149, 2000.
- K. Maclean, “The impact of institutionalization on child development,” Development and Psychopathology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 853–884, 2003.
- B. J. Burns, S. D. Phillips, H. R. Wagner et al., “Mental health need and access to mental health services by youths involved with child welfare: a national survey,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 960–970, 2004.
- M. Tehrani-Doost, Z. Shahrivar, B. Pakbaz, A. Rezaie, and F. Ahmadi, “Normative data and psychometric properties of the child behavior checklist and teacher rating form in an Iranian community sample,” Iranian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 331–342, 2011.
- D. Cantone, R. Sperandeo, M. N. Maldonato, P. Cozzolino, and F. Perris, “Dissociative phenomena in a sample of outpatients,” Rivista di Psichiatria, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 246–253, 2012.
- D. R. Offord, J. F. Aponte, and L. A. Cross, “Presenting symptomatology of adopted children,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 110–116, 1969.
- L. Miller, W. Chan, K. Comfort, and L. Tirella, “Health of children adopted from Guatemala: comparison of orphanage and foster care,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. e710–e717, 2005.
- C. Beckett, B. Maughan, M. Rutter et al., “Do the effects of early severe deprivation on cognition persist into early adolescence? Findings from the English and Romanian adoptees study,” Child Development, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 696–711, 2006.
- L. C. Miller, B. Tseng, L. G. Tirella, W. Chan, and E. Feig, “Health of children adopted from Ethiopia,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 599–605, 2008.
- C. H. Zeanah, “Disturbances of attachment in young children adopted from institutions,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2000.
- S. Abolmagd, “Psychiatric and emotional disorders in a sample of Egyptian orphanage resident children,” Egyptian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 23, pp. 113–123, 2000.
- L. A. El-Ray, “Psychiatric and behavioral disorders in a sample of Egyptian orphanage resident children: a preliminary study,” Egyptian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 22, pp. 103–116, 1999.
- B. D. Garfinkel, “The elimination disorders,” in Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents, B. D. Garfinkel, G. A. Carlson, and E. B. Weller, Eds., vol. 35, p. 476, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1990.
- J. Essen and C. Peckham, “Nocturnal enuresis in childhood,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 577–589, 1976.
- A. Okasha, “Focus on psychiatry in Egypt,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 185, pp. 266–272, 2004.
- J. A. Humphrey, “A study of the etiology of sociopathic behavior,” Disease of the Nervous System, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 432–435, 1974.
- A. Okasha, Z. Bishry, M. Kamel, and A. H. Hassan, “Psychosocial study of stammering in Egyptian children,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 124, pp. 531–533, 1974.
- Ö. Karadağ Çaman and H. Özcebe, “Adolescents living in orphanages in Ankara: psychological symptoms, level of physical activity, and associated factors,” Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 93–103, 2011.
- N. Fawzy and A. Fouad, “Psychosocial and developmental status of orphanage children: epidemiological study,” Current Psychiatry, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 41–48, 2010.
- S. M. Grantham-McGregor and C. C. Ani, “The role of micronutrients in psychomotor and cognitive development,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 511–527, 1999.