- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 294530, 10 pages
Health-Related Quality of Life Is Low in Secondary School Children in Fiji
1Deakin Health Economics, Faculty of Health, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Melbourne, VIC 3125, Australia
2Clinical Sciences, Umeå University, 90187 Umeå, Sweden
3WHO Collaborating Centre for Obesity Prevention, Faculty of Health, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Melbourne VIC 3125, Australia
4Pacific Research Centre for the Prevention of Obesity and Non-Communicable Diseases (C-POND), Fiji School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Fiji National University, Suva, Fiji
Received 31 August 2012; Accepted 7 October 2012
Academic Editor: Hein Raat
Copyright © 2012 Solveig Petersen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. M. Koot, “The study of quality of life: concept and methods,” in Quality of Life in Child and Adolescent Illness: Concepts, Methods and Findings, H. M. Koot and J. L. Wallander, Eds., Brunner-Routledge, Hove, UK, 200.
- J. W. Varni, M. Seid, and P. S. Kurtin, “PedsQL 4.0: reliability and validity of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory version 4.0 generic core scales in healthy and patient populations,” Medical Care, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 800–812, 2001.
- M. Connelly and M. A. Rapoff, “Assessing health-related quality of life in children with recurrent headache: reliability and validity of the PedsQL 4.0 in a pediatric headache sample,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 698–702, 2006.
- S. Petersen, B. Hägglöf, H. Stenlund, and E. Bergström, “Psychometric properties of the Swedish PedsQL, Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory 4.0 generic core scales,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 98, no. 9, pp. 1504–1512, 2009.
- K. Kobayashi and K. Kamibeppu, “Measuring quality of life in Japanese children: development of the Japanese version of PedsQL,” Pediatrics International, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 80–88, 2010.
- P. Amiri, E. M. Ardekani, S. Jalali-Farahani et al., “Reliability and validity of the Iranian version of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory 4.0 Generic Core Scales in adolescents,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1501–1508, 2010.
- V. Engelen, M. M. Haentjens, S. B. Detmar, H. M. Koopman, and M. A. Grootenhuis, “Health related quality of life of Dutch children: psychometric properties of the PedsQL in the Netherlands,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 9, article 1471, p. 68, 2009.
- R. Felder-Puig, M. Baumgartner, R. Topf, H. Gadner, and A. K. Formann, “Health-related quality of life in Austrian elementary school children,” Medical Care, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 432–439, 2008.
- K. Gkoltsiou, C. Dimitrakaki, C. Tzavara, V. Papaevangelou, J. W. Varni, and Y. Tountas, “Measuring health-related quality of life in Greek children: psychometric properties of the Greek version of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory TM 4.0 Generic Core Scales,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 299–305, 2008.
- A. Huguet and J. Miró, “Development and psychometric evaluation of a Catalan self- and interviewer-administered version of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory version 4.0,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 63–79, 2008.
- C. L. Keating, M. L. Moodie, and B. A. Swinburn, “The health-related quality of life of overweight and obese adolescents-a study measuring body mass index and adolescent-reported perceptions,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 6, no. 5-6, pp. 434–441, 2011.
- D. A. Klatcholan, C. A. Len, M. T. R. A. Terreri, and M. O. E. Hilário, “Quality of life among children from São Paulo, Brazil: the impact of demographic, family and socioeconomic variables,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 631–636, 2010.
- S. H. Kook and J. W. Varni, “Validation of the Korean version of the pediatric quality of life inventory 4.0 (PedsQL) generic core scales in school children and adolescents using the rasch model,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 6, article 41, 2008.
- C. Laaksonen, M. Aromaa, O. J. Heinonen, S. Suominen, and S. Salanterä, “Paediatric health-related quality of life instrument for primary school children: cross-cultural validation,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 542–550, 2007.
- T. Reinfjell, T. H. Diseth, M. Veenstra, and A. Vikan, “Measuring health-related quality of life in young adolescents: reliability and validity in the Norwegian version of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory 4.0 (PedsQL) generic core scalès,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 4, article 61, 2006.
- P. Upton, C. Eiser, I. Cheung et al., “Measurement properties of the UK-English version of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory 4.0 (PedsQL) generic core scales,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 3, article 22, 2005.
- J. W. Varni, T. M. Burwinkle, M. Seid, and D. Skarr, “The PedsQL 4.0 as a pediatric population health measure: feasibility, reliability, and validity,” Ambulatory Pediatrics, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 329–341, 2003.
- Human Development Report 2011, Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All, United Nations, Consolidated Graphics, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- Fiji Facts and Figures as at 1st July 2010, Fiji Islands Bureau of Statistics, Suva, Fiji, 2010.
- W. Narsey, Report on the 2008-09 Household Income and Expenditure Survey for Fiji, Fiji Islands Bureau of Statistics, Suva, Fiji, 2011.
- B. A. Swinburn, L. Millar, J. Utter, et al., “The Pacific Obesity Prevention in Communities project: project overview and methods,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, supplement 2, pp. 3–11, 2011.
- J. W. Varni, C. A. Limbers, and T. M. Burwinkle, “Impaired health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with chronic conditions: a comparative analysis of 10 disease clusters and 33 disease categories/severities utilizing the PedsQL 4.0 Generic Core Scales,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 5, article 43, 2007.
- J. C. Nunnally and I. R. Bernstein, Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- C. A. Limbers, D. A. Newman, and J. W. Varni, “Factorial invariance of child self-report across race/ethnicity groups: a multigroup confirmatory factor analysis approach utilizing the PedsQL 4.0 Generic Core Scales,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 575–581, 2009.
- G. C. Patton and R. Viner, “Pubertal transitions in health,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9567, pp. 1130–1139, 2007.
- “Global school-based student health survey, Fiji. 2010 Fact Sheet,” Global School-Based Student Health Survey (GSHS), World Health Organisation, 2010, http://www.who.int/chp/gshs/en/.
- A. R. Hosseinpoor, J. A. Stewart Williams, L. Itani, and S. Chatterji, “Socioeconomic inequality in domains of health: results from the World Health Surveys,” BMC Public Health, vol. 12, p. 198, 2012.
- N. Spencer, Health Consequences of Poverty for Children. End Child Poverty Coalition, University of Warwick, London, UK, 2008.
- K. E. Pickett and R. G. Wilkinson, “Child wellbeing and income inequality in rich societies: ecological cross sectional study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7629, pp. 1080–1085, 2007.
- U. Von Rueden, A. Gosch, L. Rajmil, C. Bisegger, and U. Ravens-Sieberer, “Socioeconomic determinants of health related quality of life in childhood and adolescence: results from a European study,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 130–135, 2006.
- J. W. Varni, T. M. Burwinkle, and M. Seid, “The PedsQL 4.0 as a school population health measure: feasibility, reliability, and validity,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 203–215, 2006.
- J. E. Durrant, “Physical punishment, culture, and rights: current issues for professionals,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2008.
- F. Pene, The Physical and Emotional Punishment of Children in Fiji. A Research Report, Save the children Fiji, Suva, Fiji, 2006.
- E. T. Gershoff, “Corporal punishment by parents and associated child behaviors and experiences: a meta-analytic and theoretical review,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 539–579, 2002.
- M. A. Straus and M. J. Paschall, “Corporal punishment by mothers and development of children's cognitive ability: a longitudinal study of two nationally representative age cohorts,” Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment and Trauma, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 459–483, 2009.
- M. J. MacKenzie, E. Nicklas, J. Waldfogel, and J. Brooks-Gunn, “Corporal punishment and child behavioural and cognitive outcomes through 5 years of age: evidence from a contemporary urban Birth cohort study,” Infant and Child Development, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 3–33, 2012.
- Ending Legalised Violence Against Children. Global Report 2009, Global Initiative to End all Corporal Punishment of Children, and Save the Children, Sweden, Russell Press Limited, Nottingham, UK, 2009.
- S. Bessell, “Strengthening Fiji's education system: a view from key stakeholders,” Pacific Economic Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 58–70, 2009.
- A. Frisén and S. Bjarnelind, “Health-related quality of life and bullying in adolescence,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 597–603, 2010.
- K. Haraldstad, K. A. Christophersen, H. Eide, G. K. Nativg, and S. Helseth, “Predictors of health-related quality of life in a sample of children and adolescents: a school survey,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 20, no. 21-22, pp. 3048–3056, 2011.
- Social Determinants of Health and Well-Being among Young People: Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children (HBSC) Study: International Report from the 2009/2010 Survey, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2012.
- R. Forero, L. McLellan, C. Rissel, and A. Bauman, “Bullying behaviour and psychosocial health among school students in New South Wales, Australia: cross sectional survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7206, pp. 344–348, 1999.
- J. Schultz, G. Waqa, M. McCabe, L. Ricciardelli, and H. Mavoa, Report on Interviews with Indigenous Fijian and IndoFijian Youth. Sociocultural Studies in the Healthy Youth Healthy Community Project, WHO Collaborating Centre for Obesity Prevention. Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, 2006.
- V. G. Cicirelli, “Sibling relationships in cross-cultural-perspective,” Journal of Marriage and Family, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 7–20, 1994.
- P. M. Greenfield, “Independence and interdependence as developmental scripts: implications for theory, research and practice,” in Cross Cultural Roots of Minority Child Development, P. M. Greenfield and R. R. Cocking, Eds., pp. 1–37, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1994.
- S. Otsuka, Cultural influences on academic performance in Fiji: a case study in the Nadroga/Navosa Province [Ph.D. thesis], University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 2006.
- C. Toren, Making Sense of Hierarchy—Cognition as Social Process in Fiji, Athlone Press, London, UK, 1990.
- W. Narsey, “Key Issues in academic outcomes in Fiji. Annex F,” in Fiji Education Sector Program. Independent Completion Report, B. Pennington, N. Ireland, and W. Narsey, Eds., 2010.
- J. Prosser, “Seeking the good life in Fiji: managing educational transitions,” Journal of Human Ecology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2006.
- K. J. Brison, “Imagining modernity in rural Fiji,” Ethnology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 335–348, 2003.
- C. Bisegger, B. Cloetta, U. von Rueden et al., “Health-related quality of life: gender differences in childhood and adolescence,” Sozial- und Praventivmedizin, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 281–291, 2005.
- T. Torsheim, U. Ravens-Sieberer, J. Hetland, R. Välimaa, M. Danielson, and M. Overpeck, “Cross-national variation of gender differences in adolescent subjective health in Europe and North America,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 815–827, 2006.
- D. B. Neill, “Urbanization and daughter-biased parental investment in Fiji,” Human Nature, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 139–155, 2011.
- R. Khan, R. Goddard, and J. Toogood, Ebbs and Flows: Patterns of Fiji Indian Migration. ABERU discussion Paper 13, Business and Economics. Monash University, 2005.
- M. Gracey, “Child health in an urbanizing world,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2002.
- T. Jelleyman and N. Spencer, “Residential mobility in childhood and health outcomes: a systematic review,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 584–592, 2008.
- A. E. Becker, R. A. Burwell, S. E. Gilman, D. B. Herzog, and P. Hamburg, “Eating behaviours and attitudes following prolonged exposure to television among ethnic Fijian adolescent girls,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 180, pp. 509–514, 2002.
- J. K. Murphy and S. T. McGarvey, “Modernization in the Samoas and children's reactivity: a pilot study,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 395–400, 1994.
- Annual Reports. Ministry of Education. Fiji Islands Bureau of Statistics, 2011, http://www.statsfiji.gov.fj/.