- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 460384, 9 pages
Participation in Physical Activity for Children with Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Health Analysis Division, Statistics Canada, RH Coats 24, 100 Tunney’s Pasture Way, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0T6
Received 1 November 2011; Accepted 13 February 2012
Academic Editor: Maria A. Fragala-Pinkham
Copyright © 2012 Rubab G. Arim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Janssen and A. G. LeBlanc, “Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 7, no. 40, 2010.
- A. F. Feldman and J. L. Matjasko, “Profiles and portfolios of adolescent school-based extracurricular activity participation,” Journal of Adolescence, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 313–332, 2007.
- D. E. Taub and K. R. Greer, “Physical activity as a normalizing experience for school-age children with physical disabilities. Implications for legitimation of social identity and enhancement of social ties,” Journal of Sport and Social Issues, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 395–414, 2000.
- J. Philpott, K. Houghton, and A. Luke, “Physical activity recommendations for children with specific chronic health conditions: Juvenile idiopathic arthritis, hemophilia, asthma and cystic fibrosis,” Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 213–225, 2010.
- C. Imms, S. Reilly, J. Carlin, and K. J. Dodd, “Characteristics influencing participation of Australian children with cerebral palsy,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 31, no. 26, pp. 2204–2215, 2009.
- G. King, M. Law, S. Hanna et al., “Predictors of the leisure and recreation participation of children with physical disabilities: a structural equation modeling analysis,” Children's Health Care, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 209–234, 2006.
- C. C. Johnson, “The benefits of physical activity for youth with developmental disabilities: a systematic review,” American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 157–167, 2009.
- P. J. Morris, “Physical activity recommendations for children and adolescents with chronic disease,” Current Sports Medicine Reports, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 353–358, 2008.
- D. R. Shapiro and J. J. Martin, “Multidimensional physical self-concept of athletes with physical disabilities,” Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 294–307, 2010.
- J. E. Neter, D. F. Schokker, E. de Jong, C. M. Renders, J. C. Seidell, and T. L. S. Visscher, “The prevalence of overweight and obesity and its determinants in children with and without disabilities,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 735–739, 2011.
- J. N. Zwier, P. E. M. Van Schie, J. G. Becher, D. W. Smits, J. W. Gorter, and A. J. Dallmeijer, “Physical activity in young children with cerebral palsy,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 32, no. 18, pp. 1501–1508, 2010.
- H. Tager-Flusberg, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- J. E. Farmer and K. K. Deidrick, “Introduction to childhood disability,” in Treating Neurodevelopmental Disabilities: Clinical Research and Practice, J. E. Farmer, J. Donders, and S. Warschausky, Eds., pp. 3–20, The Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- L. M. Lach, D. E. Kohen, R. E. Garner et al., “The health and psychosocial functioning of caregivers of children with neurodevelopmental disorders,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 607–618, 2009.
- W. P. Witt, A. W. Riley, and M. J. Coiro, “Childhood functional status, family stressors, and psychosocial adjustment among school-aged children with disabilities in the United States,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 157, no. 7, pp. 687–695, 2003.
- M. Hysing, I. Elgen, C. Gillberg, and A. J. Lundervold, “Emotional and behavioural problems in subgroups of children with chronic illness: results from a large-scale population study,” Child: Care, Health and Development, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 527–533, 2009.
- T. M. Achenbach and C. S. Edelbrock, “The child behavior profile:II. boys aged 12-16 and girls aged 6-11 and 12-16,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 223–233, 1979.
- R. C. Colley, D. Garriguet, I. Janssen, C. L. Craig, J. Clarke, and M. S. Tremblay, “Physical activity of Canadian children and youth: accelerometer results from the 2007 to 2009 Canadian Health Measures Survey,” Health Reports, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2011.
- J. A. Fredricks and J. S. Eccles, “Extracurricular involvement and adolescent adjustment: Impact of duration, number of activities, and breadth of participation,” Applied Developmental Science, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 132–146, 2006.
- C. A. Maher, M. T. Williams, T. Olds, and A. E. Lane, “Physical and sedentary activity in adolescents with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 450–457, 2007.
- K. F. Bjornson, B. Belza, D. Kartin, R. Logsdon, and J. F. McLaughlin, “Ambulatory physical activity performance in youth with cerebral palsy and youth who are developing typically,” Physical Therapy, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 248–257, 2007.
- R. J. Palisano, L. J. Kang, L. A. Chiarello, M. Orlin, D. Oeffinger, and J. Maggs, “Social and community participation of children and youth with cerebral palsy is associated with age and gross motor function classification,” Physical Therapy, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1304–1314, 2009.
- A. Majnemer, M. Shevell, M. Law et al., “Participation and enjoyment of leisure activities in school-aged children with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 751–758, 2008.
- R. J. Palisano, P. I. Rosenbaum, S. Walter, et al., Gross Motor Function Classification System, Neurodevelopmental Clinical Research Unit, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada, 1995.
- K. Kowalchuk and S. Crompton, “Social participation of children with disabilities,” Canadian Social Trends, no. 88, pp. 63–72, 2009.
- P. E. Longmuir and O. Bar-Or, “Factors influencing the physical activity levels of youths with physical and sensory disabilities,” Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 40–53, 2000.
- P. Raghavendra, R. Virgo, C. Olsson, T. Connell, and A. E. Lane, “Activity participation of children with complex communication needs, physical disabilities and typically-developing peers,” Developmental Neurorehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2011.
- L. C. Findlay and R. J. Coplan, “Come out and play: shyness in childhood and the benefits of organized sports participation,” Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 153–161, 2008.
- J. P. McHale, P. G. Vinden, L. Bush, D. Richer, D. Shaw, and B. Smith, “Patterns of personal and social adjustment among sport-involved and noninvolved urban middle-school children,” Sociology of Sport Journal, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 119–136, 2005.
- M. Brown and W. A. Gorden, “Impact of impairment on activity patterns of children,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 828–832, 1987.
- M. Law, G. King, S. King et al., “Patterns of participation in recreational and leisure activities among children with complex physical disabilities,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 337–342, 2006.
- K. Shikako-Thomas, A. Majnemer, M. Law, and L. Lach, “Determinants of participation in leisure activities in children and youth with cerebral palsy: systematic review,” Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 155–169, 2008.
- J. F. Sallis, J. J. Prochaska, and W. C. Taylor, “A review of correlates of physical activity of children and adolescents,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 963–975, 2000.
- G. King, M. Law, S. King, P. Rosenbaum, M. K. Kertoy, and N. L. Young, “A conceptual model of the factors affecting the recreation and leisure participation of children with disabilities,” Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 63–90, 2003.
- U. Ekelund, L. B. Sardinha, S. A. Anderssen et al., “Associations between objectively assessed physical activity and indicators of body fatness in 9- to 10-y-old European children: a population-based study from 4 distinct regions in Europe (the European Youth Heart Study),” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 584–590, 2004.
- G. J. Norman, S. K. Nutter, S. Ryan, J. F. Sallis, K. J. Calfas, and K. Patrick, “Community design and access to recreational facilities as correlates of adolescent physical activity and body-mass index,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 3, pp. S118–S126, 2006.
- Statistics Canada and Human Resources Development Canada, “National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth: Overview of survey instruments for 1994-1995, data collection 1,” Minister of Industry, Ottawa, Canada, 1995, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89f0078x/89f0078x2004001-eng.pdf.
- R. E. Garner, R. G. Arim, D. E. Kohen et al., “Parenting children with neurodevelopmental disorders and/or behaviour problems,” Child: Care, Health and Development. In press.
- R. G. Arim, R. E. Garner, J. C. Brehaut et al., “Contextual influences of parenting behaviours for children with neurodevelopmental disorders: results from a Canadian National Survey,” Disability and Rehabilitation. In press.
- T. M. Achenbach and C. S. Edelbrock, “Behavioral problems and competencies reported by parents of normal and disturbed children aged four through sixteen,” Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–82, 1981.
- L. J. Cronbach, “Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests,” Psychometrika, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 297–334, 1951.
- C. Cotton, “Income research paper series: recent developments in the low income cutoffs,” Minister of Industry, Ottawa, Canada, 2001, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75f0002m/75f0002m2001003-eng.pdf.
- Statistics Canada, “The 2006 Standard Geographical Classification. Volume I, The Classification,” (Catalogue 12-571), 2006.
- L. C. Findlay, R. E. Garner, and D. E. Kohen, “Children's organized physical activity patterns from childhood into adolescence,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 708–715, 2009.
- K. F. Rust and J. N. K. Rao, “Variance estimation for complex surveys using replication techniques,” Statistical Methods in Medical Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 283–310, 1996.
- J. L. Mahoney, A. L. Harris, and J. S. Eccles, “Organized activity participation, positive youth development, and the overscheduling hypothesis,” Social Policy Report, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1–31, 2006.