- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 496236, 10 pages
Planning, Implementing, and Evaluating a Program to Address the Oral Health Needs of Aboriginal Children in Port Augusta, Australia
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, University of Adelaide, 122 Frome Street, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Received 22 September 2011; Revised 9 January 2012; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Samuel Menahem
Copyright © 2012 E. J. Parker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Australian Bureau of Statistic, The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, Australia, 2010.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Dental Decay among Australian Children, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra, Australia, 2011.
- J. M. Armfield, G. D. Slade, and A. J. Spencer, Socioeconomic Differences in Children’s Dental Health: The Child Dental Health Survey, Australia 2001, Dental Statistics and Research Series No. 33, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra, Australia, 2006.
- M. J. Davies, A. J. Spencer, A. Westwater, and B. Simmons, “Dental caries among Australian Aboriginal, non-aboriginal Australian- born, and overseas-born children,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 197–203, 1997.
- K. Roberts-Thomson, “Oral health of aboriginal Australians,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 151–153, 2004.
- F. Dogar, E. Kruger, K. Dyson, and M. Tennant, “Oral health of pre-school children in rural and remote Western Australia,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 11, article 1869, 2011.
- Australia Bureau of Statistics, Basic Community Profile for Port Augusta, Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, Australia, 2006.
- M. Gray and E. Thacker, “CDEP as a conduit to the “real” economy? The Port Augusta case,” in The Indigenous Welfare Economy and the CDEP Scheme, W. Sanders, Ed., Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Canberra, Australia, 2001.
- Department of Human Services, Pika Wiya Health Service Inc., Aboriginal Health Division, Department of Human Services, Government of South Australia, 2006.
- E. J. Parker, G. Misan, L. C. Richards, and A. Russell, “Planning and implementing the first stage of an oral health program for the Pika Wiya Health Service Incorporated Aboriginal community in Port Augusta, South Australia,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 5, no. 2, article 254, 2005.
- South Australian Dental Service, Annual Report 2000/2001, South Australia Dental Service, SA Health, Government of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 2001.
- National Rural Health Alliance, Health Horizons 1999–2003: A Framework for Improving the Health of Rural, Regional and Remote Australians. A Joint Development of the National Rural Health Policy Forum and the National Rural Health Alliance for the Australian Health Ministers’ Conference, National Rural Health Policy Forum and the National Rural Health Alliance, Canberra, Australia, 2000.
- T. Pacza, L. Steele, and M. Tennant, “Development of oral health training for rural and remote aboriginal health workers,” The Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 105–110, 2001.
- J. Cooper, S. Moore, L. Palmer et al., “Partnership approach to indigenous primary health care and diabetes: a case study from regional New South Wales,” The Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 67–70, 2007.
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Oral Health Workshop Report and Action Plan, Commonewealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia, 2003.
- D. R. Vindigni, L. Parkinson, S. Blunden, J. Perkins, D. A. Rivett, and B. F. Walker, “Aboriginal health in Aboriginal hands: development, delivery and evaluation of a training programme for Aboriginal health workers to promote the musculoskeletal health of Indigenous people living in a rural community,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 4, article 281, 2004.
- C. M. Read, “Working with an Aboriginal community liaison worker,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 6, no. 2, article 381, p. 381, 2006.
- J. Bailey, C. Veitch, L. Crossland, and R. Preston, “Developing research capacity building for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health workers in health service settings,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 6, no. 4, article 556, 2006.
- J. Taylor, D. Wilkinson, and B. Cheers, Working with Communities in Health and Human Services, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- S. Meihubers, Dentistry in Remote Aboriginal Communities, Nganampa Health Council, Northern Territory, Australia, 2001.
- Social Justice and Country Division, Department of Human Services SA, Working with Aboriginal People: A Cultural Guide for Community-Based Health and Home Care Services in South Australia, Social Justice and Country Division, Department of Human Services SA, Adelaide, Australia, 2003.
- E. J. Parker and L. M. Jamieson, “Oral health comparisons between children attending an Aboriginal health service and a Government school dental service in a regional location,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 7, no. 2, article 625, 2007.
- D. Bramley, P. Hebert, R. T. Jackson, and M. Chassin, “Indigenous disparities in disease-specific mortality, a cross-country comparison: New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the United States,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 117, no. 1207, 2004.
- G. C. Mejia, E. J. Parker, and L. M. Jamieson, “An introduction to oral health inequalities among Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations,” International Dental Journal, vol. 60, no. 3, supplement 2, pp. 212–215, 2010.