- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 537936, 8 pages
Prematurity-Related Hypertension in Children and Adolescents
1Department of Pediatrics, Polish-American Children's Hospital, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Wielicka 265 Street, 30-663 Cracow, Poland
2Medical Student's Research Assosciation, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Wielicka 265 Street, 30-663 Cracow, Poland
3Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Polish-American Children's Hospital, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Wielicka 265 Street, 30-663 Cracow, Poland
Received 14 October 2011; Accepted 29 November 2011
Academic Editor: Umut Selda Bayrakci
Copyright © 2012 Karolina Poplawska et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Tucker and W. McGuire, “Epidemiology of preterm birth,” British Medical Journal, vol. 329, no. 7467, pp. 675–678, 2004.
- J. A. Martin, H. C. Kung, T. J. Mathews et al., “Annual summary of vital statistics: 2006,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 788–801, 2008.
- T. F. McElrath, J. L. Hecht, O. Dammann et al., “Pregnancy disorders that lead to delivery before the 28th week of gestation: an epidemiologic approach to classification,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 168, no. 9, pp. 980–989, 2008.
- M. M. Lahra and H. E. Jeffery, “A fetal response to chorioamnionitis is associated with early survival after preterm birth,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 147–151, 2004.
- M. J. Claas, L. S. de Vries, H. W. Bruinse et al., “Neurodevelopmental outcome over time of preterm born children ≤ 750 g at birth,” Early Human Development, vol. 87, pp. 183–191, 2011.
- P. Kwinta and J. J. Pietrzyk, “Preterm birth and respiratory disease in later life,” Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 593–604, 2010.
- P. Kwinta and J. J. Pietrzyk, “Retinopathy of prematurity: is genetic predisposition an important risk factor?” Expert Review of Ophthalmology, vol. 2, pp. 275–283, 2007.
- J. Bacchetta, J. Harambat, L. Dubourg et al., “Both extrauterine and intrauterine growth restriction impair renal function in children born very preterm,” Kidney International, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 445–452, 2009.
- M. G. Keijzer-Veen, M. J. J. Finken, J. Nauta et al., “Is blood pressure increased 19 years after intrauterine growth restriction and preterm birth? A prospective follow-up study in the Netherlands,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 725–731, 2005.
- J. Rodríguez-Soriano, M. Aguirre, R. Oliveros, and A. Vallo, “Long-term renal follow-up of extremely low birth weight infants,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 579–584, 2005.
- S. Shankaran, A. Das, C. R. Bauer et al., “Fetal origin of childhood disease: intrauterine growth restriction in term infants and risk for hypertension at 6 years of age,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 160, no. 9, pp. 977–981, 2006.
- U. S. Bayrakci, F. Schaefer, A. Duzova, S. Yigit, and A. Bakkaloglu, “Abnormal circadian blood pressure regulation in children born preterm,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 399–403, 2007.
- M. G. Keijzer-Veen, A. Dülger, F. W. Dekker, J. Nauta, and B. J. Van Der Heijden, “Very preterm birth is a risk factor for increased systolic blood pressure at a young adult age,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 509–516, 2010.
- P. Hovi, S. Andersson, K. Räikkönen et al., “Ambulatory blood pressure in young adults with very low birth weight,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 54–59.e1, 2010.
- B. R. Vohr, W. Allan, K. H. Katz, K. C. Schneider, and L. R. Ment, “Early predictors of hypertension in prematurely born adolescents,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 1812–1818, 2010.
- P. Kwinta, M. Klimek, D. Drozdz et al., “Assessment of long-term renal complications in extremely low birth weight children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1095–1103, 2011.
- P. Pharoah, C. J. Stevenson, and C. R. West, “Association of blood pressure in adolescence with birthweight,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. F114–F118, 1998.
- A. Kistner, G. Celsi, M. Vanpee, and S. H. Jacobson, “Increased blood pressure but normal renal function in adult women born preterm,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 215–220, 2000.
- L. W. Doyle, B. Faber, C. Callanan, and R. Morley, “Blood pressure in late adolescence and very low birth weight,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 252–257, 2003.
- M. Hack, M. Schluchter, L. Cartar, and M. Rahman, “Blood pressure among very low birth weight (<1.5 kg) young adults,” Pediatric Research, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 677–684, 2005.
- R. Pyhälä, K. Räikkönen, K. Feldt et al., “Blood pressure responses to psychosocial stress in young adults with very low birth weight: helsinki study of very low birth weight adults,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 731–734, 2009.
- E. Lurbe, E. Carvajal, I. Torro, F. Aguilar, J. Alvarez, and J. Redon, “Influence of concurrent obesity and low birth weight on blood pressure phenotype in youth,” Hypertension, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 912–917, 2009.
- A. Fattal-Valevski, H. Bassan, J. Bernheim, B. Redianu, Y. Leitner, and S. Harel, “Blood pressure values in 8-12 year old children with a history of intrauterine growth retardation,” Israel Medical Association Journal, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 480–484, 2011.
- L. W. Doyle, “Cardiopulmonary outcomes of extreme prematurity,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2008.
- L. W. Doyle, E. Gultom, S. L. Chuang, M. James, P. Davis, and E. Bowman, “Changing mortality and causes of death in infants 23–27 weeks' gestational age,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 255–259, 1999.
- G. Keller, G. Zimmer, G. Mall, E. Ritz, and K. Amann, “Nephron number in patients with primary hypertension,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2003.
- M. M. Rodríguez, A. H. Gómez, C. L. Abitbol, J. J. Chandar, S. Duara, and G. E. Zilleruelo, “Histomorphometric analysis of postnatal glomerulogenesis in extremely preterm infants,” Pediatric and Developmental Pathology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2004.
- I. M. Schmidt, M. Chellakooty, K. A. Boisen et al., “Impaired kidney growth in low-birth-weight children: distinct effects of maturity and weight for gestational age,” Kidney International, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 731–740, 2005.
- A. Drougia, V. Giapros, E. Hotoura, F. Papadopoulou, M. Argyropoulou, and S. Andronikou, “The effects of gestational age and growth restriction on compensatory kidney growth,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 142–148, 2009.
- A. Drukker and J. P. Guignard, “Renal aspects of the term and preterm infant: a selective update,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 175–182, 2002.
- J. Manning, K. Beutler, M. A. Knepper, and V. Matti Vehaskari, “Upregulation of renal BSC1 and TSC in prenatally programmed hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 1, pp. F202–F206, 2002.
- M. Lazdam, A. De La Horra, A. Pitcher et al., “Elevated blood pressure in offspring born premature to hypertensive pregnancy: is endothelial dysfunction the underlying vascular mechanism?” Hypertension, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 159–165, 2010.
- R. A. Waterland and C. Garza, “Potential mechanisms of metabolic imprinting that lead to chronic disease,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 179–197, 1999.
- M. C. P. Franco, D. M. J. Christofalo, A. L. Sawaya, S. A. Ajzen, and R. Sesso, “Effects of low birth weight in 8- to 13-year-old children: implications in endothelial function and uric acid levels,” Hypertension, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2006.
- J. A. Payne, B. T. Alexander, and R. A. Khalil, “Reduced endothelial vascular relaxation in growth-restricted offspring of pregnant rats with reduced uterine perfusion,” Hypertension, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 768–774, 2003.
- A. Singhal, T. J. Cole, and A. Lucas, “Early nutrition in preterm infants and later blood pressure: two cohorts after randomised trials,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9254, pp. 413–419, 2001.
- A. Singhal, M. Fewtrell, T. J. Cole, and A. Lucas, “Low nutrient intake and early growth for later insulin resistance in adolescents born preterm,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9363, pp. 1089–1097, 2003.
- J. B. Young, “Programming of sympathoadrenal function,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 381–385, 2002.
- B. C. Galland, B. J. Taylor, D. P. G. Bolton, and R. M. Sayers, “Heart rate variability and cardiac reflexes in small for gestational age infants,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 933–939, 2006.
- N. Stettler, V. A. Stallings, A. B. Troxel et al., “Weight gain in the first week of life and overweight in adulthood: a cohort study of European American subjects fed infant formula,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 15, pp. 1897–1903, 2005.
- Y. Ben-Shlomo, A. McCarthy, R. Hughes, K. Tilling, D. Davies, and G. D. Smith, “Immediate postnatal growth is associated with blood pressure in young adulthood: the Barry Caerphilly Growth Study,” Hypertension, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 638–644, 2008.
- E. Lurbe, R. Cifkova, J. K. Cruickshank et al., “Management of high blood pressure in children and adolescents: recommendations of the european society of hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1719–1742, 2009.
- E. Lurbe, “Masked hypertension in children and adolescents,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 165–166, 2008.
- W. Bao, S. A. Threefoot, S. R. Srinivasan, and G. S. Berenson, “Essential hypertension predicted by tracking of elevated blood pressure from childhood to adulthood: the Bogalusa Heart Study,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 657–665, 1995.
- J. Klumbiene, L. Sileikiene, Z. Milasauskiene, A. Zaborskis, and A. Shatchkute, “The relationship of childhood to adult blood pressure: longitudinal study of juvenile hypertension in Lithuania,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 531–538, 2000.
- E. Lurbe, J. Álvarez, and J. Redon, “Diagnosis and treatment of hypertension in children,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 480–486, 2010.
- M. Litwin, A. Niemirska, J. Śladowska et al., “Left ventricular hypertrophy and arterial wall thickening in children with essential hypertension,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 811–819, 2006.
- C. Hanevold, J. Waller, S. Daniels, R. Portman, and J. Sorof, “The effects of obesity, gender, and ethnic group on left ventricular hypertrophy and geometry in hypertensive children: a collaborative study of the international pediatric hypertension association,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 328–333, 2004.
- K. L. McNiece, M. Gupta-Malhotra, J. Samuels et al., “Left ventricular hypertrophy in hypertensive adolescents: analysis of risk by 2004 national high blood pressure education program working group staging criteria,” Hypertension, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 392–395, 2007.
- B. Falkner, S. R. Daniels, J. T. Flynn et al., “The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 555–576, 2004.
- M. D. Sinha and C. J. D. Reid, “Evaluation of blood pressure in children,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 577–584, 2007.
- F. Assadi, “Effect of microalbuminuria lowering on regression of left ventricular hypertrophy in children and adolescents with essential hypertension,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2007.
- B. Falkner, E. Lurbe, and F. Schaefer, “High blood pressure in children: clinical and health policy implications,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 261–276, 2010.
- J. S. Drukteinis, M. J. Roman, R. R. Fabsitz et al., “Cardiac and systemic hemodynamic characteristics of hypertension and prehypertension in adolescents and young adults: the Strong Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 221–227, 2007.
- G. B. Luma and R. T. Spiotta, “Hypertension in children and adolescents,” American Family Physician, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1558–1568, 2006.
- E. Lurbe, I. Torro, F. Aguilar et al., “Added impact of obesity and insulin resistance in nocturnal blood pressure elevation in children and adolescents,” Hypertension, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 635–641, 2008.
- G. Beaino, B. Khoshnood, M. Kaminski et al., “Predictors of cerebral palsy in very preterm infants: the EPIPAGE prospective population-based cohort study,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. e119–e125, 2010.
- K. Heinonen, K. Räikkönen, A. K. Pesonen et al., “Behavioural symptoms of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in preterm and term children born small and appropriate for gestational age: a longitudinal study,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 10, article 91, 2010.
- E. Lurbe, I. Torro, V. Alvarez et al., “Prevalence, persistence, and clinical significance of masked hypertension in youth,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 493–498, 2005.
- E. Lurbe and J. Redon, “Assessing ambulatory blood pressure in renal diseases: facts and concerns,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2564–2568, 1999.
- D. Drozdz, D. Cieniawski, K. Dudek, M. Koziarz, and S. Smialek, “Diagnosis and effectiveness of hypertension control in children with chronic Sidney disease treated in Dialysys Unit, Children’s University Hospital,” Nefrologia i Dializoterapia Polska, vol. 14, pp. 116–120, 2010.
- E. Lurbe, C. Garcia-Vicent, I. Torro et al., “First-year blood pressure increase steepest in low birthweight newborns,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2007.
- A. R. Sinaiko, O. Gomez-Marin, and R. J. Prineas, “Effect of low sodium diet or potassium supplementation on adolescent blood pressure,” Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 989–994, 1993.
- J. R. Ingelfinger, “Nutritional aspects of pediatric hypertension,” Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1109–1160, 1989.