- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 572341, 3 pages
The Development of Oral Feeding Skills in Infants
1Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, BCM 320, Houston, TX 77030, USA
2School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences (M310), The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
3Department of Pediatrics, Showa University of Medicine, Tokyo 142-8555, Japan
4Centre for Olfaction and Taste Science, Centre des Sciences du Goût, and CNRS (UMR 6265), Université de Bourgogne, 2100 Dijon, France
Received 29 August 2012; Accepted 29 August 2012
Copyright © 2012 Chantal Lau et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. R. Greer, “The role of pediatricians as innovators in pediatric nutrition,” Nestle Nutrition Workshop Series, vol. 66, pp. 191–203, 2010.
- W. O. Tarnow-Mordi, D. Wilkinson, A. Trivedi, and J. Brok, “Probiotics reduce all-cause mortality and necrotizing enterocolitis: it is time to change practice,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1068–1071, 2010.
- C. Lau, “Development of oral feeding skills in the preterm infant,” in The Handbook of Growth and Growth Monitoring in Health and Disease, V. R. Preedy, Ed., Pt 3, pp. 499–512, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- K. A. Burklow, A. M. McGrath, and A. Kaul, “Management and prevention of feeding problems in young children with prematurity and very low birth weight,” Infants and Young Children, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 19–30, 2002.
- A. H. Silverman, “Interdisciplinary care for feeding problems in Children,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 160–165, 2010.
- A. Levine, L. Bachar, Z. Tsangen et al., “Screening criteria for diagnosis of infantile feeding disorders as a cause of poor feeding or food refusal,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 563–568, 2011.
- C. Lau, Auxiliary Services in Pediatrics, edited by B. D. Rose, Wolters Kluwer Health, 2001.
- K. Mizuno and A. Ueda, “Changes in sucking performance from nonnutritive sucking to nutritive sucking during breast- and bottle-feeding,” Pediatric Research, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 728–731, 2006.
- O. P. Mathew and J. Bhatia, “Sucking and breathing patterns during breast- and bottle-feeding in term neonates: effects of nutrient delivery and composition,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 143, no. 5, pp. 588–592, 1989.
- C. E. Scheel, R. J. Schanler, and C. Lau, “Does the choice of bottle nipple affect the oral feeding performance of very-low-birthweight (VLBW) infants?” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1266–1272, 2005.
- P. K. Anokhin, Biology and Neurology of the Conditioned Reflex and Its Role in Adaptive Behavior, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1974.
- K. V. Sudakov, “The theory of functional systems: general postulates and principles of dynamic organization,” Integrative Physiological and Behavioral Science, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 392–414, 1997.