- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 581538, 9 pages
Frequency Modulation and Spatiotemporal Stability of the sCPG in Preterm Infants with RDS
Neuroscience, Human Biology, and Bioengineering, Department of Speech-Language-Hearing: Sciences and Disorders, Communication Neuroscience Laboratories, University of Kansas, 1315 Wakarusa Drive, Lawrence, KS 66049, USA
Received 6 April 2012; Accepted 29 May 2012
Academic Editor: Katsumi Mizuno
Copyright © 2012 Steven M. Barlow et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Hack, M. M. Estabrook, and S. S. Robertson, “Development of sucking rhythm in preterm infants,” Early Human Development, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 1985.
- C. Lau, “Oral feeding in the preterm infant,” NeoReviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. e19–e27, 2006.
- C. Lau, “Development of oral feeding skills in the preterm infant,” Archives de Pediatrie, vol. 14, supplement 1, pp. S35–S41, 2007.
- J. Pinelli and A. Symington, “How rewarding can a pacifier be? A systematic review of nonnutritive sucking in preterm infants,” Neonatal Network, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 41–48, 2000.
- S. M. Barlow and M. Estep, “Central pattern generation and the motor infrastructure for suck, respiration, and speech,” Journal of Communication Disorders, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 366–380, 2006.
- A. Iriki, S. Nozaki, and Y. Nakamura, “Feeding behavior in mammals: corticobulbar projection is reorganized during conversion from sucking to chewing,” Developmental Brain Research, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 1988.
- S. Tanaka, M. Kogo, S. H. Chandler, and T. Matsuya, “Localization of oral-motor rhythmogenic circuits in the isolated rat brainstem preparation,” Brain Research, vol. 821, no. 1, pp. 190–199, 1999.
- J. L. Byrant, S. Roy, J. D. Boughter et al., “A proposed new function of the mouse cerebellum: temporal modulation of brain stem pattern generator activity,” Society for Neuroscience, vol. 78, article 17, 2007.
- J. D. Boughter, T. Bajpai, S. J. St . John, R. W. Williams, L. Lu, and D. H. Heck, “Genetic analysis of oromotor movements in inbred and BXD recombinant inbred mice,” Society for Neuroscience, vol. 407, article 12, 2007.
- D. S. Finan and S. M. Barlow, “Intrinsic dynamics and mechanosensory modulation of non-nutritive sucking in human infants,” Early Human Development, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 181–197, 1998.
- S. Fucile, E. Gisel, and C. Lau, “Oral stimulation accelerates the transition from tube to oral feeding in preterm infants,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 230–236, 2002.
- S. Fucile, E. G. Gisel, and C. Lau, “Effect of an oral stimulation program on sucking skill maturation of preterm infants,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 158–162, 2005.
- A. D. Rocha, M. E. L. Moreira, H. P. Pimenta, J. R. M. Ramos, and S. L. Lucena, “A randomized study of the efficacy of sensory-motor-oral stimulation and non-nutritive sucking in very low birthweight infant,” Early Human Development, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 385–388, 2007.
- E. Goldson, “Nonnutritive sucking in the sick infant,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 1987.
- P. H. Wolff, “The serial organization of sucking in the young infant,” Pediatrics, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 943–956, 1968.
- S. M. Barlow, J. P. Lund, M. Estep, and A. Kolta, “Central pattern generators for speech and orofacial activity,” in Handbook of Mammalian Vocalization, S. M. Brudzynski, Ed., pp. 351–370, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2010.
- S. M. Barlow, D. S. Finan, J. Lee, and S. Chu, “Synthetic orocutaneous stimulation entrains preterm infants with feeding difficulties to suck,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 541–548, 2008.
- M. Poore, E. Zimmerman, S. M. Barlow, J. Wang, and F. Gu, “Patterned orocutaneous therapy improves sucking and oral feeding in preterm infants,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 920–927, 2008.
- S. M. Barlow, M. Poore, and E. Zimmerman, “Oromotor entrainment therapy to develop feeding skills in the preterm infant,” in The Communication Disorders Casebook: Learning by Example, S. S. Chabon and E. R. Cohn, Eds., pp. 52–62, Allyn & Bacon, 2011.
- K. Mizuno and A. Ueda, “Neonatal feeding performance as a predictor of neurodevelopmental outcome at 18 months,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 299–304, 2005.
- P. M. Bingham, C. S. Thomas, T. Ashikaga, and S. Abbasi, “Non-nutritive sucking measure predicts feeding skills in tube-fed premature infants,” in Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008, 3778.1, 93.
- B. Medoff-Cooper, “Nutritive sucking research: from clinical questions to research answers,” Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 265–272, 2005.
- I. H. Gewolb, F. L. Vice, E. L. Schweitzer-Kenney, V. L. Taciak, and J. F. Bosma, “Developmental patterns of rhythmic suck and swallow in preterm infants,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2001.
- C. Lau and R. J. Schanler, “Oral motor function in the neonate,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 161–178, 1996.
- F. Bu'Lock, M. W. Woolridge, and J. D. Baum, “Development of co-ordination of sucking, swallowing and breathing: ultrasound study of term and preterm infants,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 669–678, 1990.
- J. D. Comrie and J. M. Helm, “Common feeding problems in the intensive care nursery: maturation, organization, evaluation, and management strategies,” Seminars in Speech and Language, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 239–261, 1997.
- S. L. Stumm, S. M. Barlow, M. Estep et al., “Respiratory distress syndrome degrades the fine structure of the non-nutritive suck in preterm infants,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2008.
- M. Estep, S. M. Barlow, R. Vantipalli, D. Finan, and J. Lee, “Non-nutritive suck parameters in preterm infants with RDS,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2008.
- H. Als, “A manual for naturalistic observation of the newborn (preterm and full term infants),” in Developmental Interventions in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery, E. Goldson, Ed., pp. 77–85, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- A. P. Georgopoulos, J. F. Kalaska, and J. T. Massey, “Spatial trajectories and reaction times of aimed movements: effects of practice, uncertainty, and change in target location,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 725–743, 1981.
- C. G. Atkeson and J. M. Hollerbach, “Kinematic features of untreated vertical arm movements,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 2318–2330, 1985.
- A. Smith, M. Johnson, C. McGillem, and L. Goffman, “On the assessment of stability and patterning of speech movements,” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 277–286, 2000.
- A. Smith and H. N. Zelaznik, “Development of functional synergies for speech motor coordination in childhood and adolescence,” Developmental Psychobiology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 22–33, 2004.
- R. Pascual, V. Fernandez, S. Ruiz, and R. O. Kuljis, “Environmental deprivation delays the maturation of motor pyramids during the early postnatal period,” Early Human Development, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 145–155, 1993.
- R. Pascual and H. Figueroa, “Effects of preweaning sensorimotor stimulation on behavioral and neuronal development in motor and visual cortex of the rat,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 399–404, 1996.
- R. Pascual, M. C. Hervias, M. E. Tohá, A. Valero, and H. R. Figueroa, “Purkinje cell impairment induced by early movement restriction,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 1998.
- E. Zimmerman and S. M. Barlow, “Pacifier stiffness alters the dynamics of the suck central pattern generator,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 79–86, 2008.
- S. Y. Shiao, J. M. Youngblut, G. C. Anderson, J. M. DiFiore, and R. J. Martin, “Nasogastric tube placement: effects on breathing and sucking in very-low-birth-weight infants,” Nursing Research, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 82–88, 1995.
- J. F. Bosma, “Summarizing and perspective comments: part V. Form and function in the infant's mouth and pharynx,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Oral Sensation and Perception, J. F. Bosma, Ed., pp. 550–555, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill, USA, 1970.
- T. K. Hensch, “Critical period regulation,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 27, pp. 549–579, 2004.
- I. Adams-Chapman, “Neurodevelopmental outcome of the late preterm infant,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 947–964, 2006.
- M. Ballantyne, V. Frisk, and P. Green, “Language impairment in extremely-low-birth-weight infants,” in Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, 2006, 5532.178.
- C. Lau and N. Hurst, “Oral feeding in infants,” Current Problems in Pediatrics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 105–124, 1999.
- S. P. da Costa, L. van den Engel-Hoek, and A. F. Bos, “Sucking and swallowing in infants and diagnostic tools,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 247–257, 2008.
- J. A. DiPietro, R. M. Cusson, M. O. Caughy, and N. A. Fox, “Behavioral and physiologic effects of nonnutritive sucking during gavage feeding in preterm infants,” Pediatric Research, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 207–214, 1994.
- T. Field, “Sucking for stress reduction, growth and development during infancy,” Pediatric Basics, vol. 64, pp. 13–16, 1993.
- R. H. Pickler, H. B. Frankel, K. M. Walsh, and N. M. Thompson, “Effects of nonnutritive sucking on behavioral organization and feeding performance in preterm infants,” Nursing Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 132–135, 1996.
- R. H. Pickler, K. E. Higgins, and B. D. Crummette, “The effect of nonnutritive sucking on bottle-feeding stress in preterm infants,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 230–234, 1993.
- S. Abbasi, E. Sivieri, N. Samuel-Collins, and J. S. Gerdes, “Effect of non-nutritive sucking on gastric motility of preterm infants,” Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008, 5840.22, 213.
- N. E. Gill, M. Behnke, M. Conlon, and G. C. Anderson, “Nonnutritive sucking modulates behavioral state for preterm infants before feeding,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 1992.
- N. E. Gill, M. Behnke, M. Conlon, J. B. McNeely, and G. C. Anderson, “Effect of nonnutritive sucking on behavioral state in preterm infants before feeding,” Nursing Research, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 347–350, 1988.
- G. C. McCain, “Facilitating inactive awake states in preterm infants: a study of three interventions,” Nursing Research, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 157–160, 1992.
- G. C. McCain, “Promotion of preterm infant nipple feeding with nonnutritive sucking,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 1995.
- A. S. Volkmer and H. H. Fiori, “Non-nutritive sucking with a pacifier in preterm infants,” in Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008, 3535.1, 75.
- J. C. Bernbaum, G. R. Pereira, J. B. Watkins, and G. J. Peckham, “Nonnutritive sucking during gavage feeding enhances growth and maturation in premature infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 41–45, 1983.
- T. Field, E. Ignatoff, and S. Stringer, “Nonnutritive suckling during tube feedings: effects on preterm neonates in an intensive care unit,” Pediatrics, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 381–384, 1982.
- C. P. Measel and G. C. Anderson, “Nonnutritive sucking during tube feedings: effect on clinical course in premature infants,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 265–272, 1979.
- S. Grillner, “Recombination of motor pattern generators,” Current Biology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 231–233, 1991.
- T. Drew, “Motor cortical activity during voluntary gait modifications in the cat. I. Cells related to the forelimbs,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 179–199, 1993.
- S. Grillner and P. Zangger, “The effect of dorsal root transection on the efferent motor pattern in the cat's hindlimb during locomotion,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 393–405, 1984.
- K. J. Bär, M. K. Boettger, M. Koschke et al., “Non-linear complexity measures of heart rate variability in acute schizophrenia,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 2009–2015, 2007.
- S. Grillner, “Neurobiological bases of rhythmic motor acts in vertebrates,” Science, vol. 228, no. 4696, pp. 143–149, 1985.