- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 583249, 11 pages
Factors Influencing Physical Activity in Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs: A Pilot Study
1Drexel School of Public Health, Drexel University, 245 N. 15th Street, Mail Stop 660, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
2Drexel College of Nursing and Health Professions, Drexel University, 245 N. 15th Street, Mail Stop 1030, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
3The Research Center, Franciscan Hospital for Children, 30 Warren Street, Brighton, MA 02135, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, 3601 A Street, Philadelphia, PA 19134, USA
Received 14 December 2011; Revised 3 February 2012; Accepted 13 February 2012
Academic Editor: Kristie F. Bjornson
Copyright © 2012 Katie Feehan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. M. McCambridge, D. T. Bernhardt, J. S. Brenner et al., “Active healthy living: prevention of childhood obesity through increased physical activity,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1834–1842, 2006.
- L. G. Bandini, C. Curtin, C. Hamad, D. J. Tybor, and A. Must, “Prevalence of overweight in children with developmental disorders in the continuous national health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES) 1999–2002,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 738–743, 2005.
- A. Y. Chen, S. E. Kim, A. J. Houtrow, and P. W. Newacheck, “Prevalence of obesity among children with chronic conditions,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 210–213, 2010.
- P. M. Minihan, S. N. Fitch, and A. Must, “What does the epidemic of childhood obesity mean for children with special health care needs?” The Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 61–77, 2007.
- M. McPherson, P. Arango, H. Fox et al., “A new definition of children with special health care needs,” Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 1 I, pp. 137–140, 1998.
- D. S. Freedman, Z. Mei, S. R. Srinivasan, G. S. Berenson, and W. H. Dietz, “Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the bogalusa heart study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 12–17.e2, 2007.
- E. P. Whitlock, S. B. Williams, R. Gold, P. R. Smith, and S. A. Shipman, “Screening and interventions for childhood overweight: a summary of evidence for the US preventive services task force,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. e125–e144, 2005.
- J. C. Han, D. A. Lawlor, and S. Y. Kimm, “Childhood obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9727, pp. 1737–1748, 2010.
- E. R. Sutherland, “Obesity and asthma,” Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 589–602, 2008.
- E. D. Taylor, K. R. Theim, M. C. Mirch et al., “Orthopedic complications of overweight in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 2167–2174, 2006.
- W. Dietz, “Health consequences of obesity in youth: childhood predictors of adult disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 518–525, 1998.
- M. B. Schwartz and R. Puhl, “Childhood obesity: a societal problem to solve,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 57–71, 2003.
- F. M. Biro and M. Wien, “Childhood obesity and adult morbidities,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1499S–1505S, 2010.
- R. C. Whitaker, J. A. Wright, M. S. Pepe, K. D. Seidel, and W. H. Dietz, “Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 13, pp. 869–873, 1997.
- M. K. Serdula, D. Ivery, R. J. Coates, D. S. Freedman, D. F. Williamson, and T. Byers, “Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 167–177, 1993.
- National Institutes of Health, Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: the Evidence Report, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1998.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. M. Lamb, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007-2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 242–249, 2010.
- J. H. Rimmer, E. Wang, K. Yamaki, and B. Davis, “Documenting disparities in obesity and disability,” FOCUS Technical Brief 24, 2009.
- W. B. Strong, R. M. Malina, C. J. R. Blimkie et al., “Evidence based physical activity for school-age youth,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 732–737, 2005.
- J. A. Rimmer and J. L. Rowland, “Physical activity for youth with disabilities: a critical need in an underserved population,” Developmental Neurorehabilitation, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 2008.
- M. Law, T. Petrenchik, G. King, and P. Hurley, “Perceived environmental barriers to recreational, community, and school participation for children and youth with physical disabilities,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 1636–1642, 2007.
- M. E. O'Neil, P. A. Shewokis, K. K. Falkenstein et al., “Psychosocial factors and health perceptions in parents and children who are overweight or obese,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1558–1565, 2010.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, “National survey of children with special health care needs chartbook 2005-2006,” 2010, http://mchb.hrsa.gov/cshcn05/.
- D. Young-Hyman, L. J. Herman, D. L. Scott, and D. G. Schlundt, “Care giver perception of children's obesity-related health risk: a study of African American families,” Obesity Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 241–248, 2000.
- F. L. Wu, S. Yu, I. L. Wei, and T. J. Yin, “Weight-control behavior among obese children: association with family-related factors,” The Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 19–30, 2003.
- G. King, M. Law, S. King, P. Rosenbaum, M. K. Kertoy, and N. L. Young, “A conceptual model of the factors affecting the recreation and leisure participation of children with disabilities,” Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 63–90, 2003.
- World Health Organization, “Toward a common language for functioning, disability and health: ICF The international classification of functioning, disability and health,” 2002, http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/training/icfbeginnersguide.pdf.
- V. F. Keeton and C. Kennedy, “Update on physical activity including special needs populations,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 262–268, 2009.
- S. E. Barlow, “Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, supplement 4, pp. S164–S192, 2007.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation, “Kids count data center,” 2009, http://datacenter.kidscount.org/.
- Food Research and Action Center, “Food hardship in America 2010: Households with and without children,” 2011, http://frac.org/pdf/aug2011_food_hardship_report_children.pdf.
- R. J. Palisano, P. Rosenbaum, S. Walter, D. Russell, E. Wood, and B. Galuppi, “Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 214–223, 1997.
- K. H. Carlsen and J. Gerritsen, “Inhaled steroids in children: adrenal suppression and growth impairment,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 985–988, 2002.
- Center for Medical Home Improvement, “Complexity index (Phoenix Pediatrics) David Hirsch, MD,” 2001, http://www.medicalhomeinfo.org/downloads/pdfs/CareCoordinationToolkit06.pdf.
- M. A. Fragala-Pinkham, S. M. Haley, J. Rabin, and V. S. Kharasch, “A fitness program for children with disabilities,” Physical Therapy, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 1182–1200, 2005.
- M. A. Fragala-Pinkham, S. M. Haley, and S. Goodgold, “Evaluation of a community-based group fitness program for children with disabilities,” Pediatric Physical Therapy, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 159–167, 2006.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Middle School Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2005YRB, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System Questionnaire,” 2005, http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionnaires/pdf-ques/2005brfss.pdf.
- K. M. Clanchy, S. M. Tweedy, and R. Boyd, “Measurement of habitual physical activity performance in adolescents with cerebral palsy: a systematic review,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 499–505, 2011.
- C. M. Capio, C. H. P. Sit, B. Abernethy, and E. R. Rotor, “Physical activity measurement instruments for children with cerebral palsy: a systematic review,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 908–916, 2010.
- K. M. Clanchy, S. M. Tweedy, R. N. Boyd, and S. G. Trost, “Validity of accelerometry in ambulatory children and adolescents with cerebral palsy,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 12, pp. 2951–2959, 2011.
- SPSS Inc., “PASW Statistics 18.0.,” SPSS Inc., Chicago, Ill, USA, 2009, http://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/spss/products/statistics/.
- J. W. Varni, C. A. Limbers, and T. M. Burwinkle, “Parent proxy-report of their children's health-related quality of life: an analysis of 13,878 parents' reliability and validity across age subgroups using the PedsQL 4.0 generic core scales,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 5, article 2, 2007.
- M. E. O'Neil, R. J. Palisano, and S. L. Westcott, “Relationship of therapists' attitudes, children's motor ability, and parenting stress to mothers' perceptions of therapists' behaviors during early intervention,” Physical Therapy, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1412–1424, 2001.
- H. Motulsky, Intuitive Biostatistics, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- J. W. Creswell, Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, Sage, 2nd edition, 2003.
- National Governor's Association (NGA), “Successful State Strategies to Prevent Childhood Obesity,” 2009, http://www.aap.org/obesity/community_advocacy/NGA.pdf#Limit Screen Time.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, “physical activity guidelines for all Americans,” 2008, http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance Survey (YRBSS), 2009, http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs/pdf/us_physical_trend_yrbs.pdf.
- S. A. Adams, C. E. Matthews, C. B. Ebbeling et al., “The effect of social desirability and social approval on self-reports of physical activity,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 389–398, 2005.
- M. E. Bar-On, D. D. Broughton, S. Buttross et al., “Children, adolescents, and television,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 423–426, 2001.
- P. S. Tandon, C. Zhou, P. Lozano, and D. Christakis, “Preschoolers' total daily screen time at home and by type of child care,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 297–300, 2011.
- V. C. Strasburger, D. A. Mulligan, T. R. Altmann et al., “Policy statement—children, adolescents, obesity, and the media,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 201–208, 2011.
- M. O. Mazurek, P. T. Shattuck, M. Wagner, and B. P. Cooper, “Prevalence and correlates of screen-based media use among youths with autism spectrum disorders,” Journal of Autism Development Disorders. In press.
- C. A. Maher, M. T. Williams, T. Olds, and A. E. Lane, “Physical and sedentary activity in adolescents with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 450–457, 2007.