- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 608920, 5 pages
The Effectiveness of School-Based Nutritional Education Program among Obese Adolescents: A Randomized Controlled Study
Division of Ambulatory Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, 2 Prannok, Bangkoknoi, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Received 14 July 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Namik Yaşar Özbek
Copyright © 2012 Supinya In-Iw et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Mo-suwan, C. Junjana, and A. Puetpaiboon, “Increasing obesity in school children in a transitional society and the effect of the weight control program,” Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 590–594, 1993.
- L. Mo-Suwan, P. Tongkumchum, and A. Puetpaiboon, “Determinants of overweight tracking from childhood to adolescence: a 5 y follow-up study of Hat Yai schoolchildren,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1642–1647, 2000.
- Y. F. Wu, G. S. Ma, Y. H. Hu et al., “The current prevalence status of body overweight and obesity in China: data from the China National Nutrition and Health Survey,” Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 316–320, 2005.
- M. Yoshinaga, T. Ichiki, Y. Tanaka et al., “Prevalence of childhood obesity from 1978 to 2007 in Japan,” Pediatrics International, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 213–217, 2010.
- D. S. Freedman, S. R. Srinivasan, R. A. Valdez, D. F. Williamson, and G. S. Berenson, “Secular increases in relative weight and adiposity among children over two decades: the Bogalusa Heart study,” Pediatrics, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 420–426, 1997.
- S. Chinn and R. J. Rona, “Prevalence and trends in overweight and obesity in three cross sectional studies of British children, 1974–94,” British Medical Journal, vol. 322, no. 7277, pp. 24–26, 2001.
- S. Shabbir, D. Kwan, M. C. Wang, M. Shih, and P. A. Simon, “Asians and Pacific Islanders and the growing childhood obesity epidemic,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2010.
- J. Steinberger, A. Moran, C. P. Hong, D. R. Jacobs, and A. R. Sinaiko, “Adiposity in childhood predicts obesity and insulin resistance in young adulthood,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 469–473, 2001.
- P. Jirapinyo, N. Densupsoontorn, D. Chinrungrueng, R. Wongarn, and N. Thamonsiri, “Relative risks of becoming overweight and obese in children after 6 years in secondary school,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 651–654, 2005.
- D. K. Wilson, “New perspectives on health disparities and obesity interventions in youth,” Journal of Pediatric Psychology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 231–244, 2009.
- J. A. Kropski, P. H. Keckley, and G. L. Jensen, “School-based obesity prevention programs: an evidence-based review,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1009–1018, 2008.
- M. E. Pérez-Morales, M. Bacardí-Gascón, A. Jiménez-Cruz, and A. Armendáriz-Anguiano, “Randomized controlled school based interventions to prevent childhood obesity: systematic review from 2006 to 2009,” Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 253–259, 2009.
- A. Kanekar and M. Sharma, “Meta-analysis of school-based childhood obesity interventions in the U.K. and U.S,” International Quarterly of Community Health Education, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 241–256, 2008.
- P. Banchonhattakit, C. Tanasugarn, M. Pradipasen, K. R. Miner, and D. Nityasuddhi, “Effectiveness of school network for childhood obesity prevention (snocop) in primary schools of Saraburi province, Thailand,” Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 816–834, 2009.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, Washington, DC, USA, U.S. Government Printing Office, 7th edition, 2010.
- C. Gonzalez-Suarez, A. Worley, K. Grimmer-Somers, and V. Dones, “School-based interventions on childhood obesity: a meta-analysis,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 418–427, 2009.
- N. Singhal, A. Misra, P. Shah, and S. Gulati, “Effects of controlled school-based multi-component model of nutrition and lifestyle interventions on behavior modification, anthropometry and metabolic risk profile of urban Asian Indian adolescents in North India,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 364–373, 2010.
- D. A. Abood, D. R. Black, and D. C. Coster, “Evaluation of a school-based teen obesity prevention minimal intervention,” Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 168–174, 2008.
- K. N. Allen, J. S. Taylor, and R. Kuiper, “Effectiveness of nutrition education on fast food choices in adolescents,” The Journal of School Nursing, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 337–341, 2007.
- Y. M. Terry-McElrath, P. M. O'Malley, J. Delva, and L. D. Johnston, “The school food environment and student body mass index and food consumption: 2004 to 2007 national data,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 45, no. 3, supplement, pp. S45–S56, 2009.
- C. N. Hart, E. Jelalian, H. A. Raynor et al., “Early patterns of food intake in an adolescent weight loss trial as predictors of BMI change,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 217–222, 2010.
- M. Yackobovitch-Gavan, N. Nagelberg, S. Demol, M. Phillip, and S. Shalitin, “Influence of weight-loss diets with different macronutrient compositions on health-related quality of life in obese youth,” Appetite, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 697–703, 2008.
- Y. Lee, D. C. Mitchell, H. Smiciklas-Wright, and L. L. Birch, “Diet quality, nutrient intake, weight status, and feeding environments of girls meeting or exceeding recommendations for total dietary fat of the American Academy of Pediatrics,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 6, p. E95, 2001.
- G. D. Foster, S. Sherman, K. E. Borradaile et al., “A policy-based school intervention to prevent overweight and obesity,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. e794–e802, 2008.