- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 640127, 10 pages
Surgical Management of Patients with Chiari I Malformation
1Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Larissa, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Biopolis, 41110 Larissa, Greece
2Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital of Larissa, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Larisa, Greece
3Institute of Biomedical Research and Technology (BIOMED), Center for Research and Technology—Thessaly (CERETETH), 38500 Larissa, Greece
Received 16 January 2012; Revised 16 April 2012; Accepted 30 April 2012
Academic Editor: Sheffali Gulati
Copyright © 2012 John Siasios et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Chiari, “Uber Veranderungen des kleinhirns, des pons und der medulla oblongata infolge von congenitaler hydrocephalie des grosshirns,” Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 17, pp. 1172–1175, 1891.
- H. Chiari, “Uber veranderungen des kleinhirns, des pons, und der medulla oblongata infolge von congenitaler hydrocephalie des grosshirns,” Denkschriften der Akademie der Wissenschaften Wien, vol. 63, pp. 71–116, 1986.
- E. Schijman, “History, anatomic forms, and pathogenesis of Chiari I malformations,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 323–328, 2004.
- W. J. Oakes and S. J. Gaskill, “Symptomatic Chiari malformation and syringohydromyelia in childhood,” in Spinal Dysraphism, T. S. Park, Ed., pp. 104–105, Blackwell, Boston, Mass, USA, 1992.
- I. F. Pollack, D. Kinnunen, and A. L. Albright, “The effect of early craniocervical decompression on functional outcome in neonates and young infants with myelodysplasia and symptomatic chiari II malformations: results from a prospective series,” Neurosurgery, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 703–710, 1996.
- B. J. Iskandar, G. L. Hedlund, P. A. Grabb, and W. J. Oakes, “The resolution of syringohydromyelia without hindbrain herniation after posterior fossa decompression,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 212–216, 1998.
- R. S. Tubbs, S. Elton, P. Grabb, S. E. Dockery, A. A. Bartolucci, and W. J. Oakes, “Analysis of the posterior fossa in children with the Chiari 0 malformation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1050–1055, 2001.
- C. Mottolese, A. Szathmari, E. Simon, C. Rousselle, A. C. Ricci-Franchi, and M. Hermier, “Treatment of Chiari type I malformation in children: the experience of Lyon,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 32, supplement 3, pp. S325–S330, 2011.
- B. E. Weprin, B. J. Iskandar, G. L. Hedlund, P. A. Grabb, and W. J. Oakes, “The resolution of syringohydromyelia without hindbrain herniation after posterior fossa decompression,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 212–216, 1998.
- J. Warkhany, “Research once and now,” in Genetics of Human Cancer, J. J. Mulyihill, R. W. Miller, and F. Fraumeni, Eds., pp. 483–488, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- P. M. DANIEL and S. J. STRICH, “Some observations on the congenital deformity of the central nervous system known as the Arnold-Chiari malformation,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 255–266, 1958.
- M. T. Jennings, S. K. Clarren, V. G. Kokich, and E. C. Alvord, “Neuroanatomic examination of spinal bifida aperta and the Arnold-Chiari malformation in a 130-day human fetus,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 325–338, 1982.
- K. Osaka, T. Tanimura, A. Hirayama, and S. Matsumoto, “Myelomeningocele before birth,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 711–724, 1978.
- Lebedeff, “Entsehieng der anencephalie bei vogeln and menschen,” Virchow’s Arch, no. 86, article 263, 1881.
- D. H. Padget, “Neuroschisis and human embryonic maldevelopment. New evidence on anencephaly, spina bifida and diverse mammalian defects,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 192–216, 1970.
- D. H. Padget, “Development of so called dysraphism; with embryologic evidence of clinical Arnold Chiari and Dandy Walker malformations,” Johns Hopkins Medical Journal, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 127–165, 1972.
- W. Penfield and D. F. Coburn, “Arnold-Chiari malformation and its operative treatement,” Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, vol. 40, pp. 328–336, 1938.
- W. J. Gardner, “Hydrodynamic mechanism of syringomyelia: its relationship to myeloceleI,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, vol. 28, pp. 247–259, 1965.
- E. H. Oldfield, K. Muraszko, T. H. Shawker, and N. J. Patronas, “Pathophysiology of syringomyelia associated with Chiari I malformation of the cerebellar tonsils. Implications for diagnosis and treatment,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 1994.
- M. Nishikawa, H. Sakamoto, A. Hakuba, N. Nakanishi, and Y. Inoue, “Pathogenesis of Chiari malformation: a morphometric study of the posterior cranial fossa,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 1997.
- A. Vega, F. Quintana, and J. Berciano, “Basichondrocranium anomalies in adult Chiari type I malformation: a morphometric study,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 99, no. 2-3, pp. 137–145, 1990.
- L. J. Stovner, U. Bergan, G. Nilsen, and O. Sjaastad, “Posterior cranial fossa dimensions in the Chiari I malformation: relation to pathogenesis and clinical presentation,” Neuroradiology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 1993.
- S. J. Haines and M. Berger, “Current treatment of Chiari malformations types I and II: a survey of the pediatric section of the American association of Neurological Surgeons,” Neurosurgery, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 353–357, 1991.
- J. Nash, J. S. Cheng, G. A. Meyer, and B. F. Remler, “Chiari type I malformation: overview of diagnosis and treatment,” Wisconsin Medical Journal, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 35–40, 2002.
- M. G. Nagib, “An approach to symptomatic children (ages 4–14 years) with Chiari type I malformation,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 1994.
- G. N. Dyste and A. H. Menezes, “Presentation and management of pediatric Chiari malformations without myelodysplasia,” Neurosurgery, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 589–597, 1988.
- M. D. Krieger, J. G. McComb, and M. L. Levy, “Toward a simpler surgical management of Chiari I malformation in a pediatric population,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 113–121, 1999.
- M. Zérah, “Syringomyelia in children,” Neurochirurgie, vol. 1, no. 45, supplement, pp. 37–57, 1999.
- J. A. Lazareff and P. Valencia-Mayoral, “Chiari malformation,” Boletín Médico del Hospital Infantil de México, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 719–724, 1990.
- K. D. Yundt, T. S. Park, V. S. Tantuwaya, and B. A. Kaufman, “Posterior fossa decompression without duraplasty in infants and young children for treatment of chiari malformation and achondroplasia,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 221–226, 1996.
- T. Isu, H. Sasaki, H. Takamura, and N. Kobayashi, “Foramen magnum decompression with removal of the outer layer of the dura as treatment for syringomyelia occurring with Chiari I malformation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 844–849, 1993.
- L. Genitori, P. Peretta, C. Nurisso, L. Macinante, and F. Mussa, “Chiari type I anomalies in children and adolescents: minimally invasive management in a series of 53 cases,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 16, no. 10-11, pp. 707–718, 2000.
- T. D. Alden, J. G. Ojemann, and T. S. Park, “Surgical treatment of Chiari I malformation: indications and approaches,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 11, no. 1, article E2, 2001.
- S. R. Parker, P. Harris, T. J. Cummings, T. George, H. Fuchs, and G. Grant, “Complications following decompression of Chiari malformation Type I in children: dural graft or sealant? Clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 177–183, 2011.
- L. Valentini, S. Visintini, V. Saletti, L. Chiapparini, M. Estienne, and C. L. Solero, “Treatment for Chiari 1 malformation (CIM): analysis of a pediatric surgical series,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 32, supplement 3, pp. S321–S324, 2011.
- M. Sindou, J. Chávez-Machuca, and H. Hashish, “Cranio-cervical decompression for Chiari type I-malformation, adding extreme lateral Foramen Magnum opening and expansile duroplasty with arachnoid preservation. Technique and long-term functional results in 44 consecutive adult cases—comparison with literature data,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 144, no. 10, pp. 1005–1019, 2002.
- H. J. Hoffman, J. Neill, and K. R. Crone, “Hydrosyringomyelia and its management in childhood,” Neurosurgery, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 347–351, 1987.
- K. Hida, Y. Iwasaki, I. Koyanagi et al., “Surgical indication and results of foramen magnum decompression versus syringosubarachnoid shunting for syringomyelia associated with Chiari I malformation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 673–678, 1995.
- J. M. Eule, M. A. Erickson, M. F. O'Brien, and M. Handler, “Chiari I malformation associated with syringomyelia and scoliosis: a twenty-year review of surgical and nonsurgical treatment in a pediatric population,” Spine, vol. 27, no. 13, pp. 1451–1455, 2002.
- T. D. Payner, E. Prenger, T. S. Berger, K. R. Crone, A. Menezes, and L. Schut, “Acquired Chiari malformations: incidence diagnosis, and management,” Neurosurgery, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 429–434, 1994.
- T. Hankinson, R. S. Tubbs, and J. C. Wellons, “Duraplasty or not? An evidence-based review of the pediatric Chiari i malformation,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2011.
- M. Sindou and E. Gimbert, “Decompression for Chiari type I-malformation (with or without syringomyelia) by extreme lateral foramen magnum opening and expansile duraplasty with arachnoid preservation: comparison with other technical modalities (Literature review),” Advances and Technical Standards in Neurosurgery, vol. 34, pp. 85–110, 2009.
- R. S. Tubbs, M. J. Lyerly, M. Loukas, M. M. Shoja, and W. J. Oakes, “The pediatric Chiari I malformation: a review,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1239–1250, 2007.
- A. A. Fernández, A. I. Guerrero, M. I. Martínez et al., “Malformations of the craniocervical junction (chiari type i and syringomyelia: classification, diagnosis and treatment),” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 10, supplement 1, article S1, 2009.
- J. J. Oró and D. M. Mueller, “Posterior fossa decompression and reconstruction in adolescents and adults with the Chiari I malformation,” Neurological Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 261–271, 2011.
- J. Strahle, K. M. Muraszko, J. Kapurch, J. R. Bapuraj, H. J. L. Garton, and C. O. Maher, “Natural history of Chiari malformation Type I following decision for conservative treatment: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 214–221, 2011.
- S. R. Durham and K. Fjeld-Olenec, “Comparison of posterior fossa decompression with and without duraplasty for the surgical treatment of Chiari malformation Type I in pediatric patients: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 42–49, 2008.
- B. G. Rocque, T. M. George, J. Kestle, and B. J. Iskandar, “Treatment practices for Chiari malformation type I with syringomyelia: results of a survey of the American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 430–437, 2011.