- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 820209, 5 pages
Procedural Pediatric Sedation by Nurses: Available, Competent, and Safe
1Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Université de Sherbrooke, 3001, 12 Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1H 5N4
2Department of Hemato-Oncology, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada H3H 2R9
Received 28 May 2011; Revised 2 February 2012; Accepted 2 February 2012
Academic Editor: Alberto Pappo
Copyright © 2012 Laetiscia Lavoie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Malviya, T. Voepel-Lewis, and A. R. Tait, “Adverse events and risk factors associated with the sedation of children by nonanesthesiologists,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 1207–1213, 1997.
- B. Krauss and S. M. Green, “Sedation and analgesia for procedures in children,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 13, pp. 938–945, 2000.
- M. R. J. Sury, D. J. Hatch, T. Deeley, C. Dicks-Mireaux, and W. K. Chong, “Development of a nurse-led sedation service for paediatric magnetic resonance imaging,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9165, pp. 1667–1671, 1999.
- J. Millar, “Nurse-led sedation for paediatric magnetic resonance imaging,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9182, p. 953, 1999.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Pediatric Emergency Medicine, American College of Emergency Physicians, Pediatric Committee, and Emergency Nurses Association Pediatric Committee, “Joint policy statement—guidelines for care of children in the emergency department,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 1233–1243, 2009.
- C. J. Coté, S. Wilson, P. Casamassimo et al., “Guidelines for monitoring and management of pediatric patients during and after sedation for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures: an update,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 2587–2602, 2006.
- A. Hackel, J. M. Badgwell, R. R. Binding et al., “Guidelines for the pediatric perioperative anesthesia environment,” Pediatrics, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 512–515, 1999.
- F. Royer, S. Lafrenaye, and R. Turgeon, Programme de Sédation Pour la Clientèle Pédiatrique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Canda, 2007.
- D. S. Beebe, P. Tran, M. Bragg, A. Stillman, C. Truwitt, and K. G. Belani, “Trained nurses can provide safe and effective sedation for MRI in pediatric patients,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 205–210, 2000.
- J. P. Cravero, M. L. Beach, G. T. Blike, S. M. Gallagher, and J. H. Hertzog, “The incidence and nature of adverse events during pediatric sedation/anesthesia with propofol for procedures outside the operating room: a report from the pediatric sedation research consortium,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 795–804, 2009.
- J. R. Lightdale, L. B. Mahoney, M. E. Fredette, C. Valim, S. Wong, and J. A. DiNardo, “Nurse reports of adverse events during sedation procedures at a pediatric hospital,” Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 300–306, 2009.
- A. Haque and Z. Fadoo, “Efficacy and safety of procedural sedation and analgesia by paediatric intensivist in paediatric oncology unit,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 143–145, 2010.
- J. P. Cravero, G. T. Blike, M. Beach et al., “Incidence and nature of adverse events during pediatric sedation/anesthesia for procedures outside the operating room: report from the pediatric sedation research consortium,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 1087–1096, 2006.