- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 820680, 6 pages
Influence of First-Time Mothers' Early Employment on Severe Early Childhood Caries in Their Child
1Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
2Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine, Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University, Bedford Park, SA 5042, Australia
Received 26 June 2012; Revised 12 September 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Lavjay Butani
Copyright © 2012 Kamila Plutzer and Marc J. N. C. Keirse. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Bagramian, F. Garcia-Godoy, and A. R. Volpe, “The global increase in dental caries. A pending public health crisis,” American Journal of Dentistry, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2009.
- T. F. Drury, A. M. Horowitz, A. I. Ismail, M. P. Maertens, R. G. Rozier, and R. H. Selwitz, “Diagnosing and reporting early childhood caries for research purposes. A report of a workshop by the NCDR,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 192–197, 1999.
- J. Abanto, T. S. Carvalho, F. M. Mendes, M. T. Wanderley, M. Bönecker, and D. P. Raggio, “Impact of oral diseases and disorders on oral health-related quality of life of preschool children,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 2011.
- H. S. Horowitz, “Research issues in early childhood caries,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 1, supplement, pp. 67–81, 1998.
- B. Peretz, D. Ram, E. Azo, and Y. Efrat, “Preschool caries as an indicator of future caries: a longitudinal study,” Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 114–118, 2003.
- A. H. . Wyne, “Prevalence and risk factors of nursing caries in Adelaide, South Australia,” Pediatric Dentistry Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 1999.
- J. M. Armfield, A. J. Spencer, and D. S. Brennan, Dental Health of Australia's Teenagers and Pre-Teen Children: The Child Dental Health Survey, Australia 2003–04, vol. 52 of Dental Statistics and Research Series, Cat no. DEN 199, AIHW, Canberra, Australia, 2009.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Australian Hospital Statistics 2003–2004, vol. 23 of Health Services Series, Cat. no. HSE 37, AIHW, Canberra, Australia, 2005.
- Department of Human Services, The Victorian Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions Study, 2001–02. Melbourne, Public Health Division, Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia, 2004.
- L. M. Jamieson, J. M. Armfield, and K. F. Roberts-Thomson, Oral Health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children., vol. 35 of Dental Statistics and Research Series, Cat. no. DEN 167, AIHW, Canberra, Australia, 2007.
- S. A. Fisher-Owens, S. A. Gansky, L. J. Platt et al., “Influences on children's oral health: a conceptual model,” Pediatrics, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. e510–e520, 2007.
- K. Plutzer and A. J. Spencer, “Efficacy of an oral health promotion intervention in the prevention of early childhood caries,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 335–346, 2008.
- M. B. Kowash, A. Pinfield, J. Smith, and M. E. J. Curzon , “Effectiveness on oral health of a long-term health education programme for mothers with young children,” British Dental Journal, vol. 188, no. 4, pp. 201–205, 2000.
- H. Günay, K. Dmoch-Bockhorn, Y. Günay, and W. Geurtsen, “Effect on caries experience of a long-term preventive program for mothers and children starting during pregnancy,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 137–142, 1998.
- S. Twetman, “Prevention of early childhood caries (ECC)—review of literature published 1998–2007,” European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 12–18, 2008.
- K. Plutzer and M. J. N. C. Keirse, “Incidence and prevention of early childhood caries in one- and two-parent families,” Child: Care, Health and Development, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2011.
- T. L. Finlayson, K. Siefert, A. I. Ismail, and W. Sohn, “Maternal self-efficacy and 1–5-year-old children's brushing habits,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 272–281, 2007.
- P. Paunio, P. Rautava, H. Helenius, and M. Sillanpää, “Children's poor toothbrushing behavior and mothers' assessment of dental health education at well-baby clinics,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 36–42, 1994.
- Z. Saied-Moallemi, J. I. Virtanen, F. Ghofranipour, and H. Murtomaa, “Influence of mothers' oral health knowledge and attitudes on their children's dental health,” European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 2008.