- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 168459, 8 pages
Short-Term Effects of Pacifier Texture on NNS in Neurotypical Infants
1Communication Neuroscience Laboratories, Department of Speech-Language-Hearing, Sciences and Disorders, University of Kansas, Room 3001, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045-7555, USA
2Innara Health, Shawnee, KS 66227, USA
3SPLH, Neuroscience, Human Biology and Bioengineering Director, Communication Neuroscience Laboratories, University of Kansas, Room 3001, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045-7555, USA
Received 6 February 2013; Revised 4 April 2013; Accepted 4 April 2013
Academic Editor: Steven M. Donn
Copyright © 2013 Austin L. Oder et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Trulsson and G. K. Essick, “Mechanosensation,” in Clinical Oral Physiology, T. S. Miles, B. Nauntofte, and P. Svensson, Eds., Quintessence Books, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2004.
- M. Nordin and L. Thomander, “Intrafascicular multi-unit recordings from the human infra-orbital nerve,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 139–148, 1989.
- R. S. Johansson, M. Trulsson, K. A. Olsson, and K. G. Westberg, “Mechanoreceptor activity from the human face and oral mucosa,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 204–208, 1988.
- R. S. Johansson, M. Trulsson, K. A. Olsson, and J. H. Abbs, “Mechanoreceptive afferent activity in the infraorbital nerve in man during speech and chewing movements,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 209–214, 1988.
- V. L. Gracco and J. H. Abbs, “Dynamic control of perioral system during speech: kinematic analyses of autogenic and nonautogenic sensorimotor processes,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 418–432, 1985.
- V. L. Gracco and J. H. Abbs, “Central patterning of speech movements,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 515–526, 1988.
- S. M. Barlow, “Real time modulation of speech-orofacial motor performance by means of motion sense,” Journal of Communication Disorders, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 511–534, 1998.
- M. Estep and S. M. Barlow, “Modulation of the trigeminofacial pathway during syllabic speech,” Brain Research, vol. 1171, no. 1, pp. 67–74, 2007.
- D. Hooker, The Prenatal Origin of Behavior, University of Kansas Press, Lawrence, Kan, USA, 1952.
- D. Hooker, Evidence of Prenatal Function of the Central Nervous System in Man, American Museum of Natural History, New York, NY, USA, 1958.
- T. Humphrey, “The development of human fetal activity and its relation to postnatal behavior,” Advances in Child Development and Behavior, vol. 5, no. C, pp. 1–57, 1970.
- J. I. P. De Vries, G. H. A. Visser, and H. F. R. Prechtl, “The emergence of fetal behaviour—II. Quantitative aspects,” Early Human Development, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 99–120, 1985.
- J. L. Miller, B. C. Sonies, and C. Macedonia, “Emergence of oropharyngeal, laryngeal and swallowing activity in the developing fetal upper aerodigestive tract: an ultrasound evaluation,” Early Human Development, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 61–87, 2003.
- E. A. Popescu, M. Popescu, J. Wang, S. M. Barlow, and K. M. Gustafson, “Non-nutritive sucking recorded in utero via fetal magnetography,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 127–139, 2008.
- M. Hack, M. M. Estabrook, and S. S. Robertson, “Development of sucking rhythm in preterm infants,” Early Human Development, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 1985.
- A. Iriki, S. Nozaki, and Y. Nakamura, “Feeding behavior in mammals: corticobulbar projection is reorganized during conversion from sucking to chewing,” Developmental Brain Research, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 1988.
- S. Tanaka, M. Kogo, S. H. Chandler, and T. Matsuya, “Localization of oral-motor rhythmogenic circuits in the isolated rat brainstem preparation,” Brain Research, vol. 821, no. 1, pp. 190–199, 1999.
- S. M. Barlow and M. Estep, “Central pattern generation and the motor infrastructure for suck, respiration, and speech,” Journal of Communication Disorders, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 366–380, 2006.
- S. M. Barlow, J. P. Lund, M. Estep, and A. Kolta, “Central pattern generators for speech and orofacial activity,” in Handbook of Mammalian Vocalization, S. M. Brudzynski, Ed., pp. 351–370, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2010.
- S. Grillner, “Recombination of motor pattern generators,” Current Biology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 231–233, 1991.
- D. S. Finan and S. M. Barlow, “The actifier: a device for neurophysiological studies of orofacial control in human infants,” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 833–838, 1996.
- D. S. Finan and S. M. Barlow, “Intrinsic dynamics and mechanosensory modulation of non-nutritive sucking in human infants,” Early Human Development, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 181–197, 1998.
- S. M. Barlow, D. S. Finan, J. Lee, and S. Chu, “Synthetic orocutaneous stimulation entrains preterm infants with feeding difficulties to suck,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 541–548, 2008.
- M. Poore, E. Zimmerman, S. M. Barlow, J. Wang, and F. Gu, “Patterned orocutaneous therapy improves sucking and oral feeding in preterm infants,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 920–927, 2008.
- E. Zimmerman and S. M. Barlow, “Pacifier stiffness alters the dynamics of the suck central pattern generator,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 79–86, 2008.
- S. M. Barlow, D. S. Finan, P. T. Bradford, and R. D. Andreatta, “Transitional properties of the mechanically evoked perioral reflex from infancy through adulthood,” Brain Research, vol. 623, no. 2, pp. 181–188, 1993.
- S. M. Barlow, A. Dusick, D. S. Finan, S. Coltart, and A. Biswas, “Mechanically evoked perioral reflexes in premature and term human infants,” Brain Research, vol. 899, no. 1-2, pp. 251–254, 2001.
- S. M. Barlos, D. S. Finan, and S. G. Rowland, “Mechanically evoked perioral reflexes in infants,” Brain Research, vol. 599, no. 1, pp. 158–160, 1992.
- P. H. Wolff, “The serial organization of sucking in the young infant,” Pediatrics, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 943–956, 1968.
- M. Estep, S. M. Barlow, R. Vantipalli, D. Finan, and J. Lee, “Non-nutritive suck parameters in preterm infants with RDS,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2008.
- S. L. Stumm, S. M. Barlow, M. Estep et al., “Respiratory distress syndrome degrades the fine structure of the non-nutritive suck in preterm infants,” Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2008.
- C. Lau and R. J. Schanler, “Oral motor function in the neonate,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 161–178, 1996.
- C. Lau and N. Hurst, “Oral feeding in infants,” Current Problems in Pediatrics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 105–124, 1999.
- I. H. Gewolb, F. L. Vice, E. L. Schweitzer-Kenney, V. L. Taciak, and J. F. Bosma, “Developmental patterns of rhythmic suck and swallow in preterm infants,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2001.
- B. Medoff-Cooper, “Nutritive sucking research: from clinical questions to research answers,” Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 265–272, 2005.
- S. Abbasi, E. Sivieri, N. Samuel-Collins, and J. S. Gerdes, “Effect of non-nutritive sucking on gastric motility of preterm infants,” in Proceedings of the Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008.
- T. Field, “Sucking for stress reduction, growth and development during infancy,” Pediatric Basics, vol. 64, pp. 13–16, 1993.
- R. H. Pickler, K. E. Higgins, and B. D. Crummette, “The effect of nonnutritive sucking on bottle-feeding stress in preterm infants,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 230–234, 1993.
- R. H. Pickler, H. B. Frankel, K. M. Walsh, and N. M. Thompson, “Effects of nonnutritive sucking on behavioral organization and feeding performance in preterm infants,” Nursing Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 132–135, 1996.
- J. A. DiPietro, R. M. Cusson, M. O. Caughy, and N. A. Fox, “Behavioral and physiologic effects of nonnutritive sucking during gavage feeding in preterm infants,” Pediatric Research, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 207–214, 1994.
- S. P. da Costa, L. van den Engel-Hoek, and A. F. Bos, “Sucking and swallowing in infants and diagnostic tools,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 247–257, 2008.
- R. Woodson, J. Drinkwin, and C. Hamilton, “Effects of nonnutritive sucking on state and activity: term-preterm comparisons,” Infant Behavior and Development, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 435–441, 1985.
- N. E. Gill, M. Behnke, M. Conlon, J. B. McNeely, and G. C. Anderson, “Effect of nonnutritive sucking on behavioral state in preterm infants before feeding,” Nursing Research, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 347–350, 1988.
- N. E. Gill, M. Behnke, M. Conlon, and G. C. Anderson, “Nonnutritive sucking modulates behavioral state for preterm infants before feeding,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 1992.
- G. C. McCain, “Facilitating inactive awake states in preterm infants: a study of three interventions,” Nursing Research, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 157–160, 1992.
- S. M. Barlow, M. Poore, and E. Zimmerman, “Oromotor entrainment therapy to develop feeding skills in the preterm infant,” in Communication Disorders: A Case-Based Approach: Stories from the Front Line, S. Chabon and E. Cohn, Eds., Allyn & Bacon, Boston, Mass, USA, 2011.
- G. C. McCain, “Promotion of preterm infant nipple feeding with nonnutritive sucking,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 1995.
- L. Lipsitt and H. Kaye, “Change in neonatal response to optimizing and non-optimizing sucking stimulation,” Psychonomic Science, vol. 2, pp. 221–222, 1965.
- J. Dubignon and D. Campbell, “Intraoral stimulation and sucking in the new born,” Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 154–166, 1968.
- Y. Segami, K. Mizuno, M. Taki, and K. Itabashi, “Perioral movements and sucking pattern during bottle feeding with a novel, experimental teat are similar to breastfeeding,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 33, pp. 319–323, 2013.
- D. L. Stalling and D. M. Litscher, “Texture Stimulus Nipple,” US Patent 2010/0137906 A1, 2008.
- J. F. Bosma, “Summarizing and perspective comments—part 5. Form and function in the infant’s mouth and pharynx,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Oral Sensation and Perception, J. F. Bosma, Ed., pp. 550–555, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Mass, USA, 1970.
- T. K. Hensch, “Critical period regulation,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 27, pp. 549–579, 2004.
- M. Hafström and I. Kjellmer, “Non-nutritive sucking in the healthy pre-term infant,” Early Human Development, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2000.
- D. Bieger and W. Neuhuber, “Neural circuits and mediators regulating swallowing in the brainstem,” GI Motility Online, 2006.
- S. M. Barlow, “Oral and respiratory control for preterm feeding,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 179–186, 2009.
- S. M. Barlow, “Central pattern generation involved in oral and respiratory control for feeding in the term infant,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 2009.
- K. Mizuno and A. Ueda, “Neonatal feeding performance as a predictor of neurodevelopmental outcome at 18 months,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 299–304, 2005.
- R. H. Pickler, J. M. McGrath, B. A. Reyna et al., “A model of neurodevelopmental risk and protection for preterm infants,” Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 356–365, 2010.