- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 251047, 5 pages
Doxapram Use for Apnoea of Prematurity in Neonatal Intensive Care
1Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, J6-S, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
2Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Erasmus MC Sophia Children’s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Received 18 April 2013; Revised 6 October 2013; Accepted 10 October 2013
Academic Editor: Namık Yaşar Özbek
Copyright © 2013 S. A. Prins et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. Kinsella, A. Greenough, and S. H. Abman, “Bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9520, pp. 1421–1431, 2006.
- W. A. Engle, A. R. Stark, D. H. Adamkin et al., “Surfactant-replacement therapy for respiratory distress in the preterm and term neonate,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 419–432, 2008.
- A. Kribs, C. Härtel, E. Kattner et al., “Surfactant without intubation in preterm infants with respiratory distress: first multi-center data,” Klinische Padiatrie, vol. 222, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2010.
- F. Pillekamp, C. Hermann, T. Keller, A. von Gontard, A. Kribs, and B. Roth, “Factors influencing apnea and bradycardia of prematurity—implications for neurodevelopment,” Neonatology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 155–161, 2007.
- B. Schmidt, R. S. Roberts, P. Davis et al., “Long-term effects of caffeine therapy for apnea of prematurity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 19, pp. 1893–1902, 2007.
- B. Schmidt, P. J. Anderson, L. W. Doyle et al., “Survival without disability to age 5 years after neonatal caffeine therapy for apnea of prematurity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 2012.
- P. Steer, V. Flenady, A. Shearman et al., “High dose caffeine citrate for extubation of preterm infants: a randomised controlled trial,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. F499–F503, 2004.
- P. H. Gray, V. J. Flenady, B. G. Charles, and P. A. Steer, “Caffeine citrate for very preterm infants: effects on development, temperament and behaviour,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 167–172, 2011.
- P. K. Gupta, J. Moore, M. A. Lewis, and J. W. Dundee, “Clinical trial of doxapram hydrochloride in the resuscitation of the newborn,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 44, no. 6, p. 626, 1972.
- E. S. Siker, K. Mustafa, and B. Wolfson, “The analeptic effects of doxapram hydrochloride on thiopentone induced depression,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 216–223, 1964.
- C. S. Yost, “A new look at the respiratory stimulant doxapram,” CNS Drug Reviews, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 236–249, 2006.
- G. Alpan, F. Eyal, and E. Sagi, “Doxapram in the treatment of idiopathic apnea of prematurity unresponsive to aminophylline,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 634–637, 1984.
- E. Sagi, F. Eyal, and G. Alpan, “Idiopathic apnoea of prematurity treated with doxapram and aminophylline,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 281–283, 1984.
- K. J. Barrington, N. N. Finer, and G. Torok-Both, “Dose-response relationship of doxapram in the therapy for refractory idiopathic apnea of prematurity,” Pediatrics, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 1987.
- F. Hayakawa, S. Hakamada, K. Kuno, T. Nakashima, and Y. Miyachi, “Doxapram in the treatment of idiopathic apnea of prematurity: desirable dosage and serum concentrations,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 138–140, 1986.
- A. Bairam, L. Akramoff-Gershan, K. Beharry, N. Laudignon, A. Papageorgiou, and J. V. Aranda, “Gastrointestinal absorption of doxapram in neonates,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 110–113, 1991.
- F. Eyal, G. Alpan, E. Sagi et al., “Aminophylline versus doxapram in idiopathic apnea of prematurity: a double-blind controlled study,” Pediatrics, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 709–713, 1985.
- C. Huon, E. Rey, P. Mussat, S. Parat, and G. Moriette, “Low-dose doxapram for treatment of apnoea following early weaning in very low birthweight infants: a randomized, double-blind study,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 1180–1184, 1998.
- A. Peliowski and N. N. Finer, “A blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to compare theophylline and doxapram for the treatment of apnea of prematurity,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 648–653, 1990.
- C. Dani, G. Bertini, M. Pezzati et al., “Brain hemodynamic effects of doxapram in preterm infants,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 69–74, 2006.
- A. Lando, A. Klamer, F. Jonsbo, J. Weiss, and G. Greisen, “Doxapram and developmental delay at 12 months in children born extremely preterm,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 1680–1681, 2005.
- C. Sreenan, P. C. Etches, N. Demianczuk, and C. M. T. Robertson, “Isolated mental developmental delay in very low birth weight infants: association with prolonged doxapram therapy for apnea,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 139, no. 6, pp. 832–837, 2001.
- D. J. Henderson-Smart and P. G. Davis, “Prophylactic doxapram for the prevention of morbidity and mortality in preterm infants undergoing endotracheal extubation,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD001966, 2000.