- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 270373, 5 pages
CFS in Children and Adolescent: Ten Years of Retrospective Clinical Evaluation
1Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital, 5021 Bergen, Norway
2Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, P.O Box 7804, 5020 Bergen, Norway
3Department of Paediatrics, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Lies Vei 65, 5021 Bergen, Norway
Received 21 April 2013; Revised 4 June 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Catherine Bollard
Copyright © 2013 Irene Elgen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Afari and D. Buchwald, “Chronic fatigue syndrome: a review,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 221–236, 2003.
- A. Skowera, E. Stewart, E. T. Davis et al., “Antinuclear autoantibodies (ANA) in Gulf War-related illness and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) patients,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 354–358, 2002.
- D. J. Brimmer, F. Fridinger, J. S. Lin, and W. C. Reeves, “U.S. healthcare providers' knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions concerning Chronic Fatigue syndrome,” BMC Family Practice, vol. 11, article 28, 2010.
- A. A. Fernández, A. P. Martín, M. I. Martínez et al., “Chronic fatigue syndrome: aetiology, diagnosis and treatment,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 9, article S1, 2009.
- T. Chalder, R. Goodman, S. Wessely, M. Hotopf, and H. Meltzer, “Epidemiology of chronic fatigue syndrome and self reported myalgic encephalomyelitis in 5–15 year olds: cross sectional study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7416, pp. 654–655, 2003.
- K. A. Rimes, R. Goodman, M. Hotopf, S. Wessely, H. Meltzer, and T. Chalder, “Incidence, prognosis, and risk factors for fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome in adolescents: a prospective community study,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. e603–e609, 2007.
- K. M. Jordan, L. A. Jason, C. J. Mears et al., “Prevalence of pediatric chronic fatigue syndrome in a community-based sample,” Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 75–78, 2006.
- S. M. van Geelen, R. J. Bakker, W. Kuis, and E. M. van de Putte, “Adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome: a follow-up study,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 164, no. 9, pp. 810–814, 2010.
- S. L. Nijhof, K. Maijer, G. Bleijenberg, C. S. P. M. Uiterwaal, J. L. L. Kimpen, and E. M. van de Putte, “Adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome: prevalence, incidence, and morbidity,” Pediatrics, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. e1169–e1175, 2011.
- T. Chalder, V. Deary, K. Husain, and R. Walwyn, “Family-focused cognitive behaviour therapy versus psycho-education for chronic fatigue syndrome in 11- to 18-year-olds: a randomized controlled treatment trial,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1269–1279, 2010.
- H. Knoop, M. Stulemeijer, L. W. A. M. de Jong, T. J. W. Fiselier, and G. Bleijenberg, “Efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome: long-term follow of a randomized, controlled trial,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. e619–e625, 2008.
- L. R. Krilov, M. Fisher, S. B. Friedman, D. Reitman, and F. S. Mandel, “Course and outcome of chronic fatigue in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 2 I, pp. 360–366, 1998.
- V. B. Wyller, The pathophysiology of chronic fatigue syndrome in adolescents [Ph.D. thesis], university of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, 2007.
- T. Chalder, M. J. Power, and S. Wessely, “Chronic fatigue in the community: ‘a question of attribution’,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 791–800, 1996.
- H. Bould, G. Lewis, A. Emond, and E. Crawley, “Depression and anxiety in children with CFS/ME: cause or effect?” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 211–214, 2011.
- E. Crawley and J. A. C. Sterne, “Association between school absence and physical function in paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalopathy,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 752–756, 2009.
- WHO, International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Health Related Problems (the) ICD-10, Volume 1: Tabular List, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2nd edition, 2010.
- D. Wechsler, Manual for the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, (Revised), Norwegian translation by Undheim, The Psychological Corporation, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- A. L. Landay, C. Jessop, E. T. Lennette, and J. A. Levy, “Chronic fatigue syndrome: clinical condition associated with immune activation,” The Lancet, vol. 338, no. 8769, pp. 707–712, 1991.
- B. D. Carter, J. F. Edwards, W. G. Kronenberger, L. Michalczyk, and G. S. Marshall, “Case control study of chronic fatigue in pediatric patients,” Pediatrics, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 1995.
- H. M. Feder Jr., P. H. Dworkin, and C. Orkin, “Outcome of 48 pediatric patients with chronic fatigue. A clinical experience,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1049–1055, 1994.
- E. Garralda, L. Rangel, M. Levin, H. Roberts, and O. Ukoumunne, “Psychiatric adjustment in adolescents with a history of chronic fatigue syndrome,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1515–1521, 1999.
- J. Giannopoulou and S. Marriott, “Chronic fatigue syndrome or affective disorder? Implications of the diagnosis on management,” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 97–100, 1994.
- K. Lillestol and H. Bondevik, “Neurasthenia in Norway 1880–1920,” Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen, vol. 133, pp. 661–665, 2013.
- Ø. Fluge, O. Bruland, K. Risa et al., “Benefit from b-lymphocyte depletion using the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab in chronic fatigue syndrome. a double-blind and placebo-controlled study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e26358, 2011.
- S. Kreijkamp-Kaspers, E. W. Brenu, S. Marshall, D. Staines, and M. L. van Driel, “Treating chronic fatigue syndrome: a study into the scientific evidence for pharmacological treatments,” Australian Family Physician, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 907–912, 2011.
- D. Petrov, D. Marchalik, M. Sosin, and A. Bal, “Factors affecting duration of chronic fatigue syndrome in pediatric patients,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 52–55, 2012.
- P. Whiting, A. Bagnall, A. J. Sowden, J. E. Cornell, C. D. Mulrow, and G. Ramírez, “Interventions for the treatment and management of chronic fatigue syndrome: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 11, pp. 1360–1368, 2001.
- A. Devasahayam, T. Lawn, M. Murphy, and P. D. White, “Alternative diagnoses to chronic fatigue syndrome in referrals to a specialist service: service evaluation survey,” JRSM Short Reports, vol. 3, no. 1, article 4, 2012.
- A. Deale and S. Wessely, “Diagnosis of psychiatric disorder in clinical evaluation of chronic fatigue syndrome,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 310–312, 2000.