- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 514578, 3 pages
Decrease in Hospitalizations for Pneumonia in Children under Five Years of Age in an Indian Reservation in Panama after the Introduction of the Heptavalent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV7)
1Instituto Conmemorativo Gorgas de Estudios de la Salud, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Panama
2Hospital Materno Infantil José Domingo de Obaldía, Panama
Received 21 February 2013; Accepted 11 April 2013
Academic Editor: George Jallo
Copyright © 2013 Javier Nieto Guevara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Vergison and G. Hanquet, “Challenges in estimating the impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines through surveillance,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 400–403, 2012.
- M. T. Valenzuela, R. O'Loughlin, F. De La Hoz et al., “The burden of pneumococcal disease among Latin American and Caribbean children: review of the evidence,” Pan American Journal of Public Health, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 270–279, 2009.
- C. G. Grijalva, J. P. Nuorti, P. G. Arbogast, S. W. Martin, K. M. Edwards, and M. R. Griffin, “Decline in pneumonia admissions after routine childhood immunisation with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in the USA: a time-series analysis,” Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9568, pp. 1179–1186, 2007.
- “Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine for childhood immunization—WHO position paper,” Weekly Epidemiological Record, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 93–104, 2007.
- D. L. Klein, “Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines: review and update,” Microbial Drug Resistance, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 1995.
- CEPAL, “Diagnostico del Sistema de Información de Salud de Panama,” 2007.
- M. C. Pírez, G. Algorta, A. Cedrés et al., “Impact of universal pneumococcal vaccination on hospitalizations for pneumonia and meningitis in children in montevideo, Uruguay,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 669–674, 2011.
- M. Patrzałek, P. Albrecht, and M. Sobczynski, “Significant decline in pneumonia admission rate after the introduction of routine 2+1 dose schedule heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) in children under 5 years of age in Kielce, Poland,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 787–792, 2010.
- F. Ghaffar, T. Barton, J. Lozano et al., “Effect of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on nasopharyngeal colonization by Streptococcus pneumoniae in the first 2 years of life,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 930–938, 2004.