- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 645391, 7 pages
Kawasaki Disease: A Clinician’s Update
1School of Women’s and Children’s Health, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
2The Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network, Randwick and Westmead Campuses, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Received 4 August 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Joel R. Rosh
Copyright © 2013 Nathan Jamieson and Davinder Singh-Grewal. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Kato, T. Sugimura, T. Akagi et al., “Long-term consequences of Kawasaki disease: a 10- to 21-year follow-up study of 594 patients,” Circulation, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 1379–1385, 1996.
- J. W. Newburger, M. Takahashi, M. A. Gerber, et al., “Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease: a statement for health professionals from the committee on rheumatic fever, endocarditis, and Kawasaki disease, council on cardiovascular disease in the young, american heart association,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 1708–1733, 2004.
- T. Kawasaki, “Acute febrile mucocutaneous syndrome with lymphoid involvement with specific desquamation of the fingers and toes in children,” Arerugī, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 178–222, 1967.
- C. Manlhiot, E. Christie, B. W. McCrindle, H. Rosenberg, N. Chahal, and R. S. M. Yeung, “Complete and incomplete Kawasaki disease: two sides of the same coin,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 171, no. 4, pp. 657–662, 2012.
- K. Tullus and S. D. Marks, “Vasculitis in children and adolescents: clinical presentation, etiopathogenesis, and treatment,” Pediatric Drugs, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 375–380, 2009.
- C. Galeotti, J. Bayry, I. Kone-Paut, and S. V. Kaveri, “Kawasaki disease: aetiopathogenesis and therapeutic utility of intravenous immunoglobulin,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 441–448, 2010.
- S. Bowyer and P. Roettcher, “Pediatric rheumatology clinic populations in the United States a 3 year survey,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1968–1974, 1996.
- N. J. Luca and R. S. Yeung, “Epidemiology and management of Kawasaki disease,” Drugs, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 1029–1038, 2012.
- D. Singh-Grewal, M. Wong, and D. Isaacs, “Diagnosis, treatment and outcome of Kawasaki disease in an Australian tertiary setting: a review of three years experience,” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 41, no. 9-10, pp. 495–499, 2005.
- Y. T. Lin, C. Manlhiot, J. C. Y. Ching et al., “Repeated systematic surveillance of Kawasaki disease in Ontario from 1995 to 2006,” Pediatrics International, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 699–706, 2010.
- R. Gerding, “Kawasaki disease: a review,” Journal of Pediatric Health Care, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 379–387, 2011.
- R.-K. R. Chang, “Hospitalizations for Kawasaki disease among children in the United States, 1988–1997,” Pediatrics, vol. 109, no. 6, p. e87, 2002.
- D. Burgner and A. Harnden, “Kawasaki disease: what is the epidemiology telling us about the etiology?” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 185–194, 2005.
- R. Uehara and E. D. Belay, “Epidemiology of Kawasaki disease in Asia, Europe, and the United States,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 79–85, 2012.
- Y. Nakamura, M. Yashiro, R. Uehara, et al., “Epidemiologic features of Kawasaki disease in Japan: results of the 2009-2010 nationwide survey,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 216–221, 2012.
- J. C. Burns and J. W. Newburger, “Genetics insights into the pathogenesis of Kawasaki disease,” Circulation. Cardiovascular Genetics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 277–278, 2012.
- J. C. Burns and M. P. Glodé, “Kawasaki syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9433, pp. 533–544, 2004.
- A. Harnden, M. Takahashi, and D. Burgner, “Kawasaki disease,” BMJ, vol. 338, p. b1514, 2009.
- R. P. Sundel and R. E. Petty, “Kawasaki disease,” in Textbook of Pediatric Rheumatology, J. T. Cassidy, R. E. Petty, R. M. Laxer, and C. B. Lindsley, Eds., pp. 505–520, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 2011.
- R. C. Holman, K. Y. Christensen, E. D. Belay et al., “Racial/ethnic differences in the incidence of Kawasaki syndrome among children in Hawaii,” Hawaii Medical Journal, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 194–197, 2010.
- Y. Onouchi, “Genetics of Kawasaki disease: what we know and don't know,” Circulation Journal, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 1581–1586, 2012.
- A. H. Rowley, “Kawasaki disease: novel insights into etiology and genetic susceptibility,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 62, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- Y. Onouchi, T. Gunji, J. C. Burns et al., “ITPKC functional polymorphism associated with Kawasaki disease susceptibility and formation of coronary artery aneurysms,” Nature Genetics, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2008.
- R. S. Yeung, “Kawasaki disease: update on pathogenesis,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 551–560, 2010.
- A. H. Rowley and S. T. Shulman, “Pathogenesis and management of Kawasaki disease,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 197–203, 2010.
- A. H. Rowley, “Can a systems biology approach unlock the mysteries of Kawasaki disease?” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews. Systems Biology and Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 221–229, 2013.
- G. S. Pinna, D. A. Kafetzis, O. I. Tselkas, and C. L. Skevaki, “Kawasaki disease: an overview,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 263–270, 2008.
- J. C. Burns, D. R. Cayan, G. Tong et al., “Seasonality and temporal clustering of Kawasaki syndrome,” Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 220–225, 2005.
- P. F. Weiss, “Pediatric vasculitis,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 407–423, 2012.
- R. S. M. Yeung, “The etiology of Kawasaki disease: a superantigen-mediated process,” Progress in Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2004.
- S. M. Benseler, B. W. McCrindle, E. D. Silverman, P. N. Tyrrell, J. Wong, and R. S. M. Yeung, “Infections and Kawasaki disease: implications for coronary artery outcome,” Pediatrics, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. e760–e766, 2005.
- A. H. Rowley, S. C. Baker, S. T. Shulman et al., “RNA-containing cytoplasmic inclusion bodies in ciliated bronchial epithelium months to years after acute Kawasaki disease,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 2, Article ID e1582, 2008.
- L. Wood and R. Tulloh, “Kawasaki disease: diagnosis, management and cardiac sequelae,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 553–561, 2007.
- Endocarditis, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Committee on Rheumatic Fever, and Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease American Heart Association, “Diagnostic guidelines for Kawasaki disease,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 335–336, 2001.
- J. B. Gordon, A. M. Kahn, and J. C. Burns, “When children with Kawasaki disease grow up. Myocardial and vascular complications in adulthood,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 21, pp. 1911–1920, 2009.
- H.-C. Kuo, K. D. Yang, W.-C. Chang, L.-P. Ger, and K.-S. Hsieh, “Kawasaki disease: an update on diagnosis and treatment,” Pediatrics and Neonatology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 4–11, 2012.
- S. R. Johnson, O. N. Goek, D. Singh-Grewal, et al., “Classification criteria in rheumatic diseases: a review of methodologic properties,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 1119–1133, 2007.
- R. Scuccimarri, “Kawasaki disease,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 425–445, 2012.
- J. Newburger, “Kawasaki disease,” in Pediatric Cardiology, chapter 25, pp. 1067–1078, 2010.
- R. Sittiwangkul, Y. Pongprot, S. Silvilairat, and C. Phornphutkul, “Delayed diagnosis of Kawasaki disease: risk factors and outcome of treatment,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 109–114, 2011.
- A. L. Baker, M. Lu, L. L. Minich et al., “Associated symptoms in the ten days before diagnosis of Kawasaki disease,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 592–595, 2009.
- M. Ayusawa, T. Sonobe, S. Uemura et al., “Revision of diagnostic guidelines for Kawasaki disease (the 5th revised edition),” Pediatrics International, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 232–234, 2005.
- G. M. Satou, J. Giamelli, and M. H. Gewitz, “Kawasaki disease: diagnosis, management, and long-term implications,” Cardiology in Review, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 163–169, 2007.
- M. H. Wu, H. C. Chen, S. J. Yeh, M. T. Lin, S. C. Huang, and S. K. Huang, “Prevalence and the long-term coronary risks of patients with Kawasaki disease in a general population LTHEXA40 years: a national database study,” Circulation. Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 566–570, 2012.
- L. E. Wood and R. M. R. Tulloh, “Kawasaki disease in children,” Heart, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 787–792, 2009.
- A. Kentsis, A. Shulman, S. Ahmed, et al., “Urine proteomics for discovery of improved diagnostic markers of Kawasaki disease,” EMBO Molecular Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 210–220, 2013.
- J. J. Yu, “Diagnosis of incomplete Kawasaki disease,” Korean Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 83–87, 2012.
- M. S. Wilder, L. A. Palinkas, A. S. Kao, J. F. Bastian, C. L. Turner, and J. C. Burns, “Delayed diagnosis by physicians contributes to the development of coronary artery aneurysms in children with Kawasaki syndrome,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 256–260, 2007.
- N. E. Manghat, G. J. Morgan-Hughes, I. D. Cox, and C. A. Roobottom, “Giant coronary artery aneurysm secondary to Kawasaki disease: diagnosis in an adult by multi-detector row CT coronary angiography,” The British Journal of Radiology, vol. 79, no. 946, pp. e133–e136, 2006.
- N. Paredes, T. Mondal, L. R. Brandão, and A. K. C. Chan, “Management of myocardial infarction in children with Kawasaki disease,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 620–631, 2010.
- H. Muta, M. Ishii, K. Egami et al., “Early intravenous gamma-globulin treatment for Kawasaki disease: the nationwide surveys in Japan,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. 496–499, 2004.
- R. M. Oates-Whitehead, J. H. Baumer, L. Haines, et al., “Intravenous immunoglobulin for the treatment of Kawasaki disease in children,” The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD004000, 2003.
- T. Kobayashi, T. Saji, T. Otani et al., “Efficacy of immunoglobulin plus prednisolone for prevention of coronary artery abnormalities in severe Kawasaki disease (RAISE study): a randomised, open-label, blinded-endpoints trial,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9826, pp. 1613–1620, 2012.
- J. H. Baumer, S. J. Love, A. Gupta, L. C. Haines, I. Maconochie, and J. S. Dua, “Salicylate for the treatment of Kawasaki disease in children,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD004175, 2006.
- K.-S. Hsieh, K.-P. Weng, C.-C. Lin, T.-C. Huang, C.-L. Lee, and S.-M. Huang, “Treatment of acute Kawasaki disease: aspirin's role in the febrile stage revisited,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. e689–e693, 2004.
- H. Muta, M. Ishii, M. Yashiro, R. Uehara, and Y. Nakamura, “Late intravenous immunoglobulin treatment in patients with Kawasaki disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. e291–e297, 2012.
- C. A. Wallace, J. W. French, S. J. Kahn, and D. D. Sherry, “Initial intravenous gammaglobulin treatment failure in Kawasaki disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 105, no. 6, p. E78, 2000.
- K. Durongpisitkul, J. Soongswang, D. Laohaprasitiporn, A. Nana, C. Prachuabmoh, and C. Kangkagate, “Immunoglobulin failure and retreatment in Kawasaki disease,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2003.
- A. Coustasse, J. Larry, and D. Lee, “Can Kawasaki disease be managed?” The Permanente Journal, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 70–72, 2012.
- J. J. W. G. JCS Joint Working Group, “Guidelines for diagnosis and management of cardiovascular sequelae in Kawasaki disease (JCS 2008)—digest version,” Circulation Journal, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 1989–2020, 2010.
- R. Fukazawa and S. Ogawa, “Long-term prognosis of patients with Kawasaki disease: at risk for future atherosclerosis?” Journal of Nippon Medical School, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 124–133, 2009.
- C. Manlhiot, L. R. Brandão, Z. Somji et al., “Long-term anticoagulation in Kawasaki disease: initial use of low molecular weight heparin is a viable option for patients with severe coronary artery abnormalities,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 834–842, 2010.
- P. A. Brogan, M. J. Dillon, A. Bose et al., “Kawasaki disease: an evidence based approach to diagnosis, treatment, and proposals for future research,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 286–290, 2002.
- K. B. Dummer and J. W. Newburger, “Acute management of Kawasaki disease,” Progress in Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2004.
- A. M. Fimbres and S. T. Shulman, “Kawasaki disease,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 308–316, 2008.
- M. Takahashi, W. Mason, and A. B. Lewis, “Regression of coronary aneurysms in patients with Kawasaki syndrome,” Circulation, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 387–394, 1987.
- A. S. Dajani, K. A. Taubert, M. A. Gerber et al., “Diagnosis and therapy of Kawasaki disease in children,” Circulation, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1776–1780, 1993.
- H. Kato, T. Akagi, T. Sugimura et al., “Kawasaki disease,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 194–206, 1995.
- H.-C. Kuo, C.-D. Liang, C.-L. Wang, H.-R. Yu, K.-P. Hwang, and K. D. Yang, “Serum albumin level predicts initial intravenous immunoglobulin treatment failure in Kawasaki disease,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 1578–1583, 2010.
- V. E. A. Honkanen, B. W. McCrindle, R. M. Laxer, B. M. Feldman, R. Schneider, and E. D. Silverman, “Clinical relevance of the risk factors for coronary artery inflammation in Kawasaki disease,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 122–126, 2003.
- S. R. Dominguez, M. S. Anderson, M. El-Adawy, and M. P. Glodé, “Preventing coronary artery abnormalities: a need for earlier diagnosis and treatment of Kawasaki disease,” The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1217–1220, 2012.
- E. S. Yellen, K. Gauvreau, M. Takahashi et al., “Performance of 2004 american heart association recommendations for treatment of Kawasaki disease,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. e234–e241, 2010.
- H. Tobayama, K. Takahashi, H. Fukunaga, et al., “Analysis of arterial function in adults with a history of Kawasaki disease,” Journal of Cardiology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 330–335, 2013.