- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 832857, 4 pages
Trends of Empiric Antibiotic Usage in a Secondary Care Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Department of Paediatrics & Child Health, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Received 9 August 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Samuel Menahem
Copyright © 2013 Syed Rehan Ali et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. E. Cosgrove and Y. Carmeli, “The impact of antimicrobial resistance on health and economic outcomes,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1433–1437, 2003.
- T. Saied, A. Elkholy, S. F. Hafez et al., “Antimicrobial resistance in pathogens causing nosocomial bloodstream infections in university hospitals in Egypt,” American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. e61–e65, 2011.
- J. Trostle, “Inappropriate distribution of medicines by professionals in developing countries,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1117–1120, 1996.
- S. Q. Nizami, I. A. Khan, and Z. A. Bhutta, “Differences in self-reported and observed prescribing practice of general practitioners and paediatricians for acute watery diarrhoea in children of Karachi, Pakistan,” Journal of Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 1995.
- S. Q. Nizami, I. A. Khan, and Z. A. Bhutta, “Self-reported concepts about oral rehydration solution, drug prescribing and reasons for prescribing antidiarrhoeals for acute watery diarrhoea in children,” Tropical Doctor, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 180–183, 1996.
- S. Q. Nizami, Z. A. Bhutta, and A. M. Molla, “Efficacy of traditional rice-lentil-yogurt diet, lactose free milk protein-based formula and soy protein formula in management of secondary lactose intolerance with acute childhood diarrhoea,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 133–137, 1996.
- K. E. Arnold, R. J. Leggiadro, R. F. Breiman et al., “Risk factors for carriage of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae among children in Memphis, Tennessee,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 757–764, 1996.
- A. G. Mainous III, W. J. Hueston, and J. R. Clark, “Antibiotics and upper respiratory infection: do some folks think there is a cure for the common cold?” Journal of Family Practice, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 357–361, 1996.
- A. G. Mainous III and W. J. Hueston, “The cost of antibiotics in treating upper respiratory tract infections in a medicaid population,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 1998.
- Z. Grossman, S. del Torso, A. Hadjipanayis, D. van Esso, A. Drabik, and M. Sharland, “Antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory infections: European primary paediatricians' knowledge, attitudes and practice,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 935–940, 2012.
- S. Huilan, L. G. Zhen, M. M. Mathan et al., “Etiology of acute diarrhoea among children in developing countries: a multicentre study in five countries,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 549–555, 1991.
- Z. A. Bhutta, “Therapeutic aspects of typhoidal salmonellosis in childhood: the Karachi experience,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 299–306, 1996.
- E. R. Levy, S. Swami, S. G. Dubois, R. Wendt, and R. Banerjee, “Rates and appropriateness of antimicrobial prescribing at an academic children's hospital, 2007–2010,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 346–353, 2012.